The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just Why do We?

Bertorama

Hello CDC

I really do prefer simplicity and organic conversation that goes where it decides to.  

I ask myself many mornings why I get up and do what I do. Wether it be to go to work or...

Go to school.

Go shopping.  

Go Running

Go workout 

Go eat food

Go nowhere and just Veg out 

Just Go?

This is a real question peole. ..... what do you get up in the morning to do and why? It may sound mundane but not to me, I'm fascinated. 

What does life to you feel like?  why do you live it the way you do? This topic will probably bomb and fail but I actually want to know why you get up in the morning to live life. What does each day mean to you?

maybe you answer what you wish it was vrs what it is. I really don't care how this goes I just encourage realism. 

I will chime in with my own life if this topic actually sparks some converstaion. 

Keep the blood flowin', re-charge the brain with fresh images and experiences. Like, if you take your car off the road, you shouldn't just shroud it and leave it for the winter. Go out a few times a week, start it up, drive it up and down the driveway, take it for a late night spin down some side streets. Cars were meant to move, as are people. Motion is necessary. It's instinctual.

Ask the next sleepwalker you run into. They know what's up.

I have to go to work most days. I have a family and a mortgage. I have to earn that money. I enjoy my job more than most people judging by what I hear but some days, especially in the winter, all I wanna do is get back under the covers in the morning.

Every so often I think of quitting. Buying a boat and going sailing or traveling the world. Until the kids are grown that stays a dream. Ill be about 55 by then. I dont regret those choices we made but it removes a lot of options in life. 

I'm kind of a glass-half-full kinda guy and will say that I do what I do because I'm grateful for the life I have, and for the ability to do things that others may not be privileged to have.  In response, I choose to live out the best I can each day.

For instance, why do I go to work in a job that I don't always like?  It's because I've been given this opportunity to have so much that I appreciate, and I can show my gratitude by using what I've been given (e.g. gifts/ talents/ vitality) to do my best in the settings and the situations I am in.  It helps me to remember that not everyone can be privileged to not even struggle to make ends meet and live a healthy, full life (e.g. if you are unemployed, or worse severely ill or living in poverty).  

Of course, there are still days when I'm unsatisfied by my work, but when I think about how compared to those who have nothing I have been given something, I find the motivation to give my best in what I do.  This rings true in my life because I've been unemployed before and I know that nothing comes easy so I'm thankful for the opportunities that do come my way.  

That doesn't mean that I don't think about achieving future aspirations and the day I quit (I do all the time at my job), but why not live in the meantime, gain experience, learn where you are and make the most of your situation, even as you strive to achieve your dreams?   

In all seriousness(& after reading your full post-not skimming) it mostly sounds like a question of motivation-source. Which of course will vary with each individual.

Some yrs back, a question I got stuck on was the definition of a life well-lived. It's general, but I believe a question every thinking person will eventually confront. Rather contingent upon one's past experiences, beliefs, cultural & personal influences, & values, but I still feel it's worthwhile(essential?) to contemplate, sooner or later.

Being in a hardcore-materialistic time/era doesn't make things any easier. It's getting harder to pursue one's own direction, within the dominant paradigm of contemporary society. For my money, times were far more interesting in the 70's & 80's.

It's easy today to be reduced to a mere(likely frustrated) consumer. So much of our time is designed around things we intend to acquire. You try to seperate your wants & needs, whilst advertising corps try to blur this important line of distinction.

So as an old, greying, wizened(& foolish) smartass, I suggest to define your needs. What do you live for? Perhaps art, philanthropy, love, technology, intellectual passion, cash(in, & of itself), or a funky stew comprised of many said items.

After you've determined what you truly need, establish ten plans to obtain it(because perhaps 9 will flop).

When you get to the top, send the elevator down for the next bloke/lass. Help others to achieve their passion.

& finally wise words from Yoko Ono(of all people!).."If depressed, forget about yourself. Live for others." A beautiful sentiment.

I get up and go to work five days a week, because I don't fancy the idea of sleeping outside in a cardboard box. Nor do my wife and daughter.

I also have kids who want things like laptops and cell phones and until they start giving that stuff away, I suppose I'll continue to get up and go...

10 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Deeply philosophical question...

All you post..we digest

All you eat..you digest

All you hear..you digest

All you see..you digest

But in the end, you gestdi.

Just make sure nobody eats you otherwise you'll get turned into poo. That's a terrifying situation if the apocalypse ever breaks out and cannibalism sets in. I can deal with everything else tho.

I wake up 5 days a week to go to work, and then on the weekends, I enjoy sleeping in!  I also enjoy finer things in life, like going to hockey games, drinking delicious wine and champagne, eating out, and spoiling myself to Marc by Marc Jacobs accessories here and then, which sadly the brand will be no longer starting January 2016 according to the Marc by Marc Jacobs store in San Francisco. And many other things.  I also enjoy the simple things in life, and get excited over the most simple things. 

18 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

In all seriousness(& after reading your full post-not skimming) it mostly sounds like a question of motivation-source. Which of course will vary with each individual.

Some yrs back, a question I got stuck on was the definition of a life well-lived. It's general, but I believe a question every thinking person will eventually confront. Rather contingent upon one's past experiences, beliefs, cultural & personal influences, & values, but I still feel it's worthwhile(essential?) to contemplate, sooner or later.

Being in a hardcore-materialistic time/era doesn't make things any easier. It's getting harder to pursue one's own direction, within the dominant paradigm of contemporary society. For my money, times were far more interesting in the 70's & 80's.

It's easy today to be reduced to a mere(likely frustrated) consumer. So much of our time is designed around things we intend to acquire. You try to seperate your wants & needs, whilst advertising corps try to blur this important line of distinction.

So as an old, greying, wizened(& foolish) smartass, I suggest to define your needs. What do you live for? Perhaps art, philanthropy, love, technology, intellectual passion, cash(in, & of itself), or a funky stew comprised of many said items.

After you've determined what you truly need, establish ten plans to obtain it(because perhaps 9 will flop).

When you get to the top, send the elevator down for the next bloke/lass. Help others to achieve their passion.

& finally wise words from Yoko Ono(of all people!).."If depressed, forget about yourself. Live for others." A beautiful sentiment.

Real talk. 

Archived