The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value of] Jannik Hansen

I do think Hansen could be a valuable contributor to the right contending team,  but I see him worth a 3rd round pick to another organization at best unfortunately.   Whatever GMJB could get in return wouldn't change the fortunes of this club let's put it that way.

12 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Not even close. If Lack only fetches a 3rd, Hansen fetches no more. His play this year is largely due to his 1st-line time.

Lack wasn't traded at the deadline where prices are higher than normal

I would guess, at most, a 2nd rounder. Unlikely to get that though. A team would have to be desperate enough but, if you look at a past deal: We traded a 2nd for Roy.

Having said that, Higgins might be a better comparison where we traded Oberg and a 3rd for him.

Just now, logic said:

Lack wasn't traded at the deadline where prices are higher than normal

That's fair, but I still can't see Hansen getting us a 2nd and change. I'd be elated with just a 2nd, not that I want him traded anyways.

We have a lot of young guys (and more coming). We have a lot of old guys who'll be moving along like Hamhuis, Burrows, Dank, Hank, Vrbata.

We don't really have a whole lot of guys in between like Sutter, especially among the forwards. Hansen is a valuable guy and a good foot soldier on a decent contract. Plus he fits our system very well.

I'd argue he's more valuable here then what we could get for him.

I vote keep him.

1 hour ago, ajhockey said:

Not even close. If Lack only fetches a 3rd, Hansen fetches no more. His play this year is largely due to his 1st-line time.

Apples and oranges. Dorsett, Prust, Bollig and Rinaldo all got 3rds at the draft with 3 of them having expiring deals. Why would Hansen, a 3rd line player (vs. those 4th liners) who can consistently fetch 35+ points while killing penalties and being in his prime fetch less? He's under 30 and cap controlled at a very modest 2.5 million until 2018 in a league where the vast majority of teams are hitting well over 70 million in cap. If you want to pry a guy like Hansen loose, you better pay because the Canucks aren't exactly desperate to dump him either and nor should they if they aren't going to get full value back.

1 hour ago, Patrick Kane said:

Teams will know his production of the last 4 years is pretty constant, and he's playing with two word class elite players. With that being said, a solid 3rd liner who can jump up in the top 6, and works hard, kills penalty's, and has good speed. Maybe a 2nd or a decent prospect.

1 hour ago, ajhockey said:

I have a question then, are we not able to sell Hansen on the fact that he's capable of being a complementary top six player?

32 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I have a question then, are we not able to sell Hansen on the fact that he's capable of being a complementary top six player?

Yes, but, if we made a successful pitch, it would be to upsell to that 2nd rounder probably.

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I do think Hansen could be a valuable contributor to the right contending team,  but I see him worth a 3rd round pick to another organization at best unfortunately.   Whatever GMJB could get in return wouldn't change the fortunes of this club let's put it that way.

Your common sense talk won't be tolerated here by many of the over-valuing fools.  For them it's Hansen for a 1st or Tarasenko otherwise GMJB was out-GM'ed.

5 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I suspect that may be an issue. Many players have had boosted stats with the Sedins only to see their numbers fall in subsequent years, eg. Anson Carter, Taylor Pyatt, Christian Ehrhoff, even Alex Burrows. If other teams know this, it will likely reduce Hansen's value.

Archived