The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks at risk of losing Precedents’ Trophy?

Slegr

Here it is one-third of the way through the lingering NHL regular season, and the Vancouver Canucks are surprisingly on pace to accomplish an achievement that hasn’t been attained in seven years.

I’m talking suspensions, or the lack thereof by the Canucks to date. 

Let’s face it, the NHL loves to make examples out of the Vancouver Canucks. And when it comes to suspensions, the Canucks would probably win the NHL Precedents’ Trophy. Simply by wearing the wrong jersey, guys like Aaron Rome, Todd Bertuzzi, and Raffi Torres have become infamous bad guys, sentenced to new standards of suspension rulings that help the NHL showcase its handling of perceived villainy.  

Dating back from 2009/10 to 2014/15, there have been 14 unique suspensions dished out to Canucks.   

What do you think? With Burrows, Prust, and Hansen on the team, is there any chance we’ll finish the season without the NHL implementing some new suspension standards on us? 

List of suspended Canucks in recent history

2015/16

Nobody yet

2014/15

Alex Burrows

2013/14

Zack Kassian (twice)

Alex Edler

Dale Weise

2012/13

Jannik Hansen

Alex Edler

2011/12

Byron Bitz

2010/11

Rick Rypien

Raffi Torres

Aaron Rome

2009/10

Shane O’Brien

Darcy Hordichuk

2008/09

nobody

2007/08

Mattias Ohlund

Y'know, I love Bertuzzi, he's one of my favourite players of all time. I also loved Raffi here as a Canuck, but both of them deserved the reputations they were given. It wasn't because they were wearing Canucks jerseys, it was because they did pretty nasty things on ice. I mean, Bert ended a career and ruined a guy's life. I agree that the league is harder on us for whatever reason, but those were pretty poor examples.

I am glad to see the record of suspensions our Canucks have committed courtesy of the OP.

Transgressions mean players care so unless the team gets some fight in them we might go without this year.

Thanks for pointing this out OP it is quite a curious observation indeed.

There have been some weak suspensions against us. Both of Edlers suspensions were weak  along with Hansen on Hossa. I don't i'd argue that much with the rest of them over the past couple years. Those are the only ones that stick out to me as weak suspension that I can remember. Then Rome's suspension was quite over kill I think. 4 playoff games, i'm sure they would give him more if it was possible. It was late, but it was the playoffs and decisions have to be made quickly.

8 minutes ago, roland said:

There have been some weak suspensions against us. Both of Edlers suspensions were weak  along with Hansen on Hossa. I don't i'd argue that much with the rest of them over the past couple years. Those are the only ones that stick out to me as weak suspension that I can remember. Then Rome's suspension was quite over kill I think. 4 playoff games, i'm sure they would give him more if it was possible. It was late, but it was the playoffs and decisions have to be made quickly.

Rome shouldn't even have been suspended for one regular season game.  The only suspension I have ever seen for interference.

2 hours ago, Zuongo said:

"Let’s face it, the NHL loves to make examples out of the Vancouver Canucks. "

Only this forum thinks that. The canucks are treated like all others.... 

I have to agree. I don't think the suspensions given to Canucks are precedent-setting or unusual. I am sure that most teams think they have received questionable suspensions. I agree that the Edler suspensions were debatable but, like I said, that happens often enough. Don't forget, Prust just got away without a suspension for a pretty flagrant spear. But, in view of the target, the NHL let him off lightly.

2 hours ago, Zuongo said:

"Let’s face it, the NHL loves to make examples out of the Vancouver Canucks. "

Only this forum thinks that. The canucks are treated like all others.... 

Yup.
In the last six years, the NHL has averaged 40 suspensions a season. Or, 1.33 suspensions per team.

In OP's example seasons, the Canucks averaged 1.44 suspensions per season.

The NHL hates us. They are handing us 0.11 more suspensions than average.

21 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

Y'know, I love Bertuzzi, he's one of my favourite players of all time. I also loved Raffi here as a Canuck, but both of them deserved the reputations they were given. It wasn't because they were wearing Canucks jerseys, it was because they did pretty nasty things on ice. I mean, Bert ended a career and ruined a guy's life. I agree that the league is harder on us for whatever reason, but those were pretty poor examples.

Moore made more money off his lawsuit with Bertuzzi than he ever would've made playing. He was a 4th line plug at best, and would've been out of the league after maybe a year or 2 anyways. He ended his career sure, but ruined his life? Hardly!

11 minutes ago, Patchoball Cannons said:

Moore made more money off his lawsuit with Bertuzzi than he ever would've made playing. He was a 4th line plug at best, and would've been out of the league after maybe a year or 2 anyways. He ended his career sure, but ruined his life? Hardly!

If I was unable to do the thing I spent my life training for since I was a kid, I'd say my life was ruined regardless of how much money I had.

22 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

In a state of suspended-disbelief? I'd reckon they only meddled with us when we were a threat. Reffing will be fine when we're mediocre, with nothing at stake.

This right here!

(also we lead the league in power play chances, yet we are playing a style with less puck control, and a more re-active, passive game)

Archived