The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Break up time - again

Toyotasfan

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I agree that 5v5 they should always be together.  on the PP, I'm not so sure.  Danny has the skills to be a comparable setup man to hank, so why not use him to try and boost the 2nd PP unit?

Because of the Chemsitry Henrik and Daniel havve, because of the fact that Daniel is also the only player on the team with an elite wrist shot for Hank to get the Puck TO. - If we split the twins it will just kill what little offense this team has left.

8 minutes ago, Nail3738 said:

Because of the Chemsitry Henrik and Daniel havve, because of the fact that Daniel is also the only player on the team with an elite wrist shot for Hank to get the Puck TO. - If we split the twins it will just kill what little offense this team has left.

Not arguing that, but sometimes you have to do things for the greater good.  Danny is a great set up guy and the 2nd unit needs to produce.  The twins on the PP together actually burn a lot of time off the clock by over passing, perhaps a shakeup would improve both units.

Hansen Hank Vrbata

Edler         Hutton

Danny Horvat Baer

Weber  Tanev

I suggested that the Sedin should be broken up in October.  That was when they were not performing to their level I know they could.  Now they are scoring at a pace and is performing and carrying the Canucks.  I would advise against it because it is up to other forward on the team to perform and play like a scoring line but they are not doing this.   I am disappointed in the coach for not juggling the lines, for example, Higgins is not the offense and Willie can't sense that and he refused to make a simple swap, Higgins to play with Burrows.   It can be a shutdown line with Horvat and let McCann and Vrbata play the scoring line with Baertschi.   Baertschi is a playmaker and he needs shooters like Vrbata and McCann to success.  Burrows is not a sniper, and Horvat is struggling.   Higgins is an anchor to the line with McCann.  Can't the coach see this?  Apparently not.

51 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not arguing that, but sometimes you have to do things for the greater good.  Danny is a great set up guy and the 2nd unit needs to produce.  The twins on the PP together actually burn a lot of time off the clock by over passing, perhaps a shakeup would improve both units.

Hansen Hank Vrbata

Edler         Hutton

Danny Horvat Baer

Weber  Tanev

If you're going to use the "Greater Good" argument - then we should be doing whatever we can to draft first overall this season, while allowing the Sedins to continue to add up as many points as possible, which is pretty much what we're doing. :P

This team doesn't have the offensive depth, or defensive talent to go anywhere but the draft lottery, not experienced, durable, or deep enough for any kind of realistic push right now. We need to draft draft draft, if it was me, I'd be selling anybody over the age of 27 right now for as much as we can get.

And for the PP, what you suggested won't do anything. Horvat has been crap this year, Sven is still growing, and Danny won't be able to carry that much at this point in his career, and it isn't fair to put that on him, as for the defense on the powerplay, it's all a joke. Edler has peaked and passed, he was at best a #2 Dman on any roster at his best, and he's never found the physical element to his game that would have made him the threat he needed to be. Tanev's shot is hilariously bad and he has no business on the powerplay; Weber has a good shot but can't do much else, and Hutton is the single bright spot in those 4, has potential, and is already a pretty smooth skating, good puck moving defenseman.

The simple truth is this team does not have the talent to be a "Good" team in the NHL right now, our Elite players are in their Twilight years, the fast, uptempo, skilled, accurate passing, never say die hockey game we once were able to play on 3-4 lines is gone, replaced by a confused mess EVERYWHERE, I could go on, but, I don't think I need to.

1 hour ago, Nail3738 said:

If you're going to use the "Greater Good" argument - then we should be doing whatever we can to draft first overall this season, while allowing the Sedins to continue to add up as many points as possible, which is pretty much what we're doing. :P

This team doesn't have the offensive depth, or defensive talent to go anywhere but the draft lottery, not experienced, durable, or deep enough for any kind of realistic push right now. We need to draft draft draft, if it was me, I'd be selling anybody over the age of 27 right now for as much as we can get.

And for the PP, what you suggested won't do anything. Horvat has been crap this year, Sven is still growing, and Danny won't be able to carry that much at this point in his career, and it isn't fair to put that on him, as for the defense on the powerplay, it's all a joke. Edler has peaked and passed, he was at best a #2 Dman on any roster at his best, and he's never found the physical element to his game that would have made him the threat he needed to be. Tanev's shot is hilariously bad and he has no business on the powerplay; Weber has a good shot but can't do much else, and Hutton is the single bright spot in those 4, has potential, and is already a pretty smooth skating, good puck moving defenseman.

The simple truth is this team does not have the talent to be a "Good" team in the NHL right now, our Elite players are in their Twilight years, the fast, uptempo, skilled, accurate passing, never say die hockey game we once were able to play on 3-4 lines is gone, replaced by a confused mess EVERYWHERE, I could go on, but, I don't think I need to.

The greater good is giving our young guys linemates that can do some heavy lifting, leaving them a little wiggle room to grow.  You say it's not fair to put that on Dan.......why is he wearing an "A" then?  The leadership group is exactly who you put that on.  Sure WD can leave the twins out for 1:45, but what good does that do for the young players like McCann hoping to grow on the PP.

You say the greater good is to finish with a lottery pick, but then complain that this PP configuration would lead to know scoring.........which is it?

Nothing wrong with trying a few combinations for a shift or two to throw off their defence and to give other players a spark, but to split them on an ongoing basis would likely result in an overall decrease in productivity (which is why when they have tried it in the past it hasn't stuck and usually that was to get the Sedins going it seems, more than anything else).

Ya gotta love the Moj.  He speaks the truth.  (Check out that truth!)

Image result for images for bob marjanovich

The Moj says, the biggest problem with the Canucks is that they have a big black hole in the drafting of players 23-28.  And this is why there is no secondary scoring.  This is also why Benning is trying to slap band aids on the roster by the name of Dorsett, Sutter, Vey, Baertschi, Bartkowski, Sbisa....you get the picture.  No sh*t!  It's the biggest problem with the Canucks right now.  Sure Gillis went all in a couple of years ago but he also drafted like a fool and developed worse.  Credit to him for figuring it out and starting to draft better (Gaunce 2012) and setting up the Comets.

So they're in a jam now and God bless Hank and Danny but it's a case of re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic until Horvat etc mature. 

Enjoy the ride boys because you can't really blame Willie or Jim or Trev.  They're doing fine.  You can blame Torts because he's an a....... dinosaur.  You can't even blame Gillis because he had the best team in hockey by ANY measure and he tried his best to bring us a cup.

Look at the teams who are starting to come on strong now.  Dallas, Minny, Winnipeg, Calgary, even Edmonton they've all been to the bottom.  Now it's the Canucks turn.

So, suck it up little Princes and Princesses.  We're in for a ride.  Management has tried to put lipstick on a pig and told you that it was a retool but you didn't really believe that did you?  Enjoy it.  It will be so much sweeter when they're good again. 

13 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Slightly off topic for this thread, but is anybody going (especially) nuts seeing Sedin hate this year? I see a bit of it around here but lots of it in the comments of posts on the Canucks Facebook page. "blah blah blah, trade the twins they're too soft blah blah blah". Maybe we just haven't been good enough? This year should really drive that point home.

Could be just me but I'm seeing a lot LESS Sedin hate than previous years.  Actually seems like little to no hate.

1 hour ago, dura_mater said:

Could be just me but I'm seeing a lot LESS Sedin hate than previous years.  Actually seems like little to no hate.

Totally. I think part of it is that they have become more accustomed to sticking up for themselves. For me though, it's that their effort level and willingness seems to have gotten stronger and their leadership far more pronounced. 

14 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Dear lord I hope it's a maintenance day. Without Hank we might be the worst team in the NHL.

I'm pretty sure that's already true.

There's only one team with less ROW's than us and they have games in hand.

Seriously the sooner people start realizing this season is a write off the less painful it will be.

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'm pretty sure that's already true.

There's only one team with less ROW's than us and they have games in hand.

Seriously the sooner people start realizing this season is a write off the less painful it will be.

With a healthy lineup we're still better than s select few 

1 minute ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

With a healthy lineup we're still better than s select few 

Yea, but that doesn't win you a Stanley Cup.

Last season I thought if we got in we had a shot if we got hot at the right time. This season I don't see anything that says that once they get healthy they've got a shot. The fight just isn't there anymore, at least not at the level it needs to be.

Time to start filling the roster with players who hate losing more than anything. I feel like there's too many players on this current roster that are okay with losing.

Just now, Wild Sean Monahan said:

When the hell did I say that? You've taken my initial comment and misconstrued it so bad the original topic of conversation isn't even recognizable here anymore.

You countered my argument that we're currently the worst team in the league by saying that we're better than a few when healthy.

My point was that if that's the best we can say about this team when it's 100% healthy, then we're not going anywhere. Being better than a few just means that we're not quite the worst. If that's the case we might as well try to be the worst and at least get something out of this season.

Just now, DeNiro said:

You countered my argument that we're currently the worst team in the league by saying that we're better than a few when healthy.

My point was that if that's the best we can say about this team when it's 100% healthy, then we're not going anywhere. Being better than a few just means that we're not quite the worst. If that's the case we might as well try to be the worst and at least get something out of this season.

And I never said it was the aim of the team to be better than just a few. I simply said the team, as currently constructed and when healthy, isn't the worst team. They're among the weaker teams but not the worst. Simple as that.

Archived