The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mental health commercials

Gurn

Full disclosure, I have had several/numerous bouts with depression, over most of my teen till now lifespan. This is not an attempt to make a large problem seem small.

HOWEVER :

I am very, very, very tired of hearing the incessant "Bell talks" commercials. Every other commercial break on TSN 1040 has one about depression and every third on the damn TV has  one as well. Enough already, give me a mental break and tone these down to maybe one per hour, thank you very much.

Rant temporarily suppressed.

1 minute ago, Kazmanian Devil said:

This is what you choose to complain about? Not those atrocious Panago/East Side Mario's commercials?

Yes, because I don't suffer from an over eating disorder. :)

But those commercials are kind of bad too.

40 minutes ago, gurn said:

Full disclosure, I have had several/numerous bouts with depression, over most of my teen till now lifespan. This is not an attempt to make a large problem seem small.

HOWEVER :

I am very, very, very tired of hearing the incessant "Bell talks" commercials. Every other commercial break on TSN 1040 has one about depression and every third on the damn TV has  one as well. Enough already, give me a mental break and tone these down to maybe one per hour, thank you very much.

Rant temporarily suppressed.

i'm more offended by NHL.com insisting on showing the same full 30second ad for every clip, every time. Makes me so upset I get depressed and then I hear the bell commercial and get help.

2 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

I know a lot of people have isolated or maybe (conservative) cultural fights with 'the stigma' - but I still find it a little odd when people preface  the conversation about mental health and depression with "we gotta remove the stigma!" type comments. Mental health awareness is EVERYWHERE, and it seems like EVERYBODY is depressed, yet we keep talking about the stigma. 

Now people are complaining about having their mental health go mainstream!

people love to find excuses to justify their behaviors. they've latched on to this as another attention-seeking self-serving tool in their arsenal of self-pity, laziness and responsibility avoidance - things this generation is full of. So i agree with what you're saying by that token...

However, your words are spoken like someone lucky enough not to know the crippling and paralyzing effects of depression. I would say the same things... until I experienced it first hand. It's not just being sad for a long time, that's a minor side-effect of the total experience. It's scary to talk about, to the point that you try and hide it and then you live these two lives where only you know your truth and are alone no matter how surrounded by friends who care there are. So you see, the first step is having people understand that the isolation must be torn down, and sometimes people need help - when they're ready to accept it - and sometimes that first push has to come from someone who cares just to listen. It can be a huge step to coming back into the world. You could have a hundred people who love you, but if they don't understand the signs or how to help, you're alone and trapped in a personalized version of hell in which you are the master and know all the buttons to press to hurt yourself the most.

22 minutes ago, Edlerberry said:

people love to find excuses to justify their behaviors. they've latched on to this as another attention-seeking self-serving tool in their arsenal of self-pity, laziness and responsibility avoidance - things this generation is full of. So i agree with what you're saying by that token...

However, your words are spoken like someone lucky enough not to know the crippling and paralyzing effects of depression. I would say the same things... until I experienced it first hand. It's not just being sad for a long time, that's a minor side-effect of the total experience. It's scary to talk about, to the point that you try and hide it and then you live these two lives where only you know your truth and are alone no matter how surrounded by friends who care there are. So you see, the first step is having people understand that the isolation must be torn down, and sometimes people need help - when they're ready to accept it - and sometimes that first push has to come from someone who cares just to listen. It can be a huge step to coming back into the world. You could have a hundred people who love you, but if they don't understand the signs or how to help, you're alone and trapped in a personalized version of hell in which you are the master and know all the buttons to press to hurt yourself the most.

I edited my post to avoid one of these lecture type comments - I have experienced depression, as most people have. I witness it all the time (my close aunt is schizoaffective and in the suicide house all the time). I'm not saying people shouldn't talk about their issues, I was saying it's kind of ironic how so many people have a conversation about mental health in the frame of it being stigmatized, yet it seems like the lack of a stigma is what makes them able to have that conversation in the first place -- especially in such a 'mainstream' avenue such as NHL.com ad space. I'm not saying it's easy to talk about, but I will go ahead and say that a _lot_ of people are talking about it.

Didn't mean to disrespect anyone - except maybe those who talk about being stigmatized yet simultaneously annoyed by commercials aiming to de-stigmatize

In this day & age, perhaps the ones who are exceedingly happy need help?!

Never mind if you're a reasonable, sensitive person, who's heeding general information(social, environmental & global), & you don't like the direction things are headed. Surely YOU are responsible for how you're feeling..that's what they'll say.

Keep smiling in an Orwellian, omnicidal time. If you can't at least try, they'll offer some pills perhaps?

Good post OP. If you dont like them ads, just wait 30 seconds..next you'll have some cowboy-voice, flogging you a sturdy truck, built for the harsh terrain...

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

In this day & age, perhaps the ones who are exceedingly happy need help?!

Never mind if you're a reasonable, sensitive person, who's heeding general information(social, environmental & global), & you don't like the direction things are headed. Surely YOU are responsible for how you're feeling..that's what they'll say.

Keep smiling in an Orwellian, omnicidal time. If you can't at least try, they'll offer some pills perhaps?

Good post OP. If you dont like them ads, just wait 30 seconds..next you'll have some cowboy-voice, flogging you a sturdy truck, built for the harsh terrain...

I can't tell what your thesis is.

"Good post OP. If you dont like them ads, just wait 30 seconds..next you'll have some cowboy-voice, flogging you a sturdy truck, built for the harsh terrain... '

Ram trucks, ram tough.

Sam Elliott, a fine actor in westerns, good in the first Hulk movie and brilliant in Mask with Cher and Eric Stoltz. Damn shame Louis Lamour had to die, it has really dried up Sam's opportunity for work.

2 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

I edited my post to avoid one of these lecture type comments - I have experienced depression, as most people have. I witness it all the time (my close aunt is schizoaffective and in the suicide house all the time). I'm not saying people shouldn't talk about their issues, I was saying it's kind of ironic how so many people have a conversation about mental health in the frame of it being stigmatized, yet it seems like the lack of a stigma is what makes them able to have that conversation in the first place -- especially in such a 'mainstream' avenue such as NHL.com ad space. I'm not saying it's easy to talk about, but I will go ahead and say that a _lot_ of people are talking about it.

Didn't mean to disrespect anyone - except maybe those who talk about being stigmatized yet simultaneously annoyed by commercials aiming to de-stigmatize

otoh I have a cluster B personality disorder and can't bring that up in a public forum, online or otherwise, without having someone mentally tag me as a sociopath :ph34r:

i feel these commercials we're talking about - and other similar initiatives which have been popular in recent years - have done a disservice to the mental health community by associating de-stigmatization specifically with an openness to communicate. certainly it's nice to be able to speak honestly/unhinged, but stigmatization is being treated poorly by healthcare professionals; it's not being able to access services; it's being denied the same opportunities individuals without mental illness - or with less-stigmatized disorders - are getting. there's lots of work to be done and it goes beyond 'let's talk'.

e: as well, mental illness itself might not have much stigma attached to it, but other issues which are often direct extensions of it certainly do, i.e addiction and homelessness.

5 hours ago, Kazmanian Devil said:

This is what you choose to complain about? Not those atrocious Panago/East Side Mario's commercials?

I have to admit that latest Panago commercial with the weird girl at the end is very creepy and annoying.. 

Let's not forget Tim Hortons "Dark roast!!!" I am glad that was finally put to rest...

In regards to mental health commercials I think they're good as it lets people know they're not alone and can seek help.. 

From personal experience I know that asking for help is the hardest part and trying to find the right person to convey your thoughts. Some medical professionals are either not experienced enough or just can't relate with you so they just try putting you on pills.. 

9 minutes ago, One one two said:

otoh I have a cluster B personality disorder and can't bring that up in a public forum, online or otherwise, without having someone mentally tag me as a sociopath :ph34r:

i feel these commercials we're talking about - and other similar initiatives which have been popular in recent years - have done a disservice to the mental health community by associating de-stigmatization specifically with an openness to communicate. certainly it's nice to be able to speak honestly/unhinged, but stigmatization is being treated poorly by healthcare professionals; it's not being able to access services; it's being denied the same opportunities individuals without mental illness - or with less-stigmatized disorders - are getting. there's lots of work to be done and it goes beyond 'let's talk'.

e: as well, 'mental illness' itself might not have much stigma associated with it, but other issues which are often direct extensions of it certainly are, i.e addiction and homelessness.

Time for me to go through all your posts and figure out which one it is :P

One thing I hate about all those commercials is that they seem to aggregate all of mental illness into depression. I don't even think depression is the most highly stigmatized mental illness either, and other ones could use more "screen time" to help people understand them better.

5 hours ago, One one two said:

e: as well, mental illness itself might not have much stigma attached to it, but other issues which are often direct extensions of it certainly do, i.e addiction and homelessness.

I am not sure if this is the same thing you are talking about in regards to finding proper healthcare because this is the first time I had to deal with a mental illness personally.   I have developed Anxiety and Post Postpartum depression. I have never had mental health issues until this happened and so I did not know what was going on. It took me going to the ER (I admit by ambulance) numerous times with the same symptoms (chest pain, difficulty breathing, panicky the world is going to end feeling) before a doctor actually addressed that I may be suffering from some kind of post traumatic disorder. I did have blood clots in my lungs shortly after we loss our baby so every little pain made me totally freak out...I felt I was developing more blood clots and was going to die...but It was just panic attacks.  I never had anxiety before so how was I suppose to know? Each and every time they just told me I was physically fine and sent me home. I wasn't eating or sleeping at this point, I was in a constant state of panic. I felt that I was losing my mind. I was fighting with my friends, my family, my boyfriend. I was just a mess and all they did was 'patch' me up and send me home. Told me to take some tyneol and the pain would go away. To me it felt like they were failing me. It was obvious something was wrong but they just ignored every thing that wasn't legit physical.

It got to the point that the nurses and even paramedics started to recognize me they obviously knew that I was suffering from some form of mental illness/breakdown but none of them took it seriously or took me seriously. I had been through a horrible, awful traumatic experience (sure I was going to counseling) but you'd think that they would send me to the psych nurse a lot sooner then they did. It felt that the moment they realized I did not have another clot or I wasn't having any heart issues and that it was in fact mental health that they didn't need to deal with me.

Finally a doctor after hearing my story and reading up the history and talking to nurses/etc about why I kept coming in called the social worker and the Psych nurse and came to talk with me. I was then shortly after that diagnosed with Anxiety and was given medication and had my appointment with the Psychiatrist moved up that I finally started getting some relief. I also went from having two counseling appointments a month to 4 a month.

So I am not sure if this is what you meant by the health care professionals treating people who have mental illness differently or not and I am not sure if it has anything to do with it being common place but I thought I would share my own experinces.

To be honest before any of this happened, I didn't have an issue at all with those commercials because I thought it was 'helpful' that they were bringing mental illness to the general public. It seemed like that now that it was more mainstream that more people would now get help and that the health professionals would do more to help. All those commercials make it seem that all you have to do is reach out and help will be there and you will 'magically' be cured. That's not what its really like. I am lucky in the sense that my mental health issues can probably eventually be 'cured' since we know what it steams from. I am also getting professional help but I don't think doctors/paramedics/etc take me seriously enough anymore.

I do think its important that mental illness be brought out into the open because I think its good that someone who may not know what they are suffering from to realize something is wrong and reach out and get help, but I also don't think they are handling it right.

I personally find it helps to talk about, and to address, and not to hide from. It helps to stand up and say "yeah this horrible thing happened and now I am a little unwell". It helps because it opens up so many more resources. Then again like I said I am fairly new to this whole thing so maybe in a while I'll change my mind.

Archived