The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boycott The Province

Stanky Legs

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

He said he didn't see the game. "He's" not blaming Virtanen, the back page is a statement of what happened AFTER the game. You know, the internet/twitter exploding with FANS blaming Virtanen. You didn't have to see the game to know what happened after the loss.

Does not matter if he saw the game or not.......The editor obviously did not not have the foresight to see how a photo of a 19 year old with 'goat' on it (after a nations defeat) ,could impact an outcry....He's a teenager playing in a junior tournament.

Now you're saying that we should have read the headline in the 3D approach..that the Province were simply mirroring the FANS headline...?..Maybe you should apply for a job there.

31 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Does not matter if he saw the game or not.......The editor obviously did not not have the foresight to see how a photo of a 19 year old with 'goat' on it (after a nations defeat) ,could impact an outcry....He's a teenager playing in a junior tournament.

Now you're saying that we should have read the headline in the 3D approach..that the Province were simply mirroring the FANS headline...?..Maybe you should apply for a job there

What he lacked was the foresight for local fans lack of comprehension/reading skills, self righteous indignation, and lack of rational thought. Virtanen was made the scapegoat by the hockey fans. Is that not true? Considering the national spotlight why wouldn't that be a story? Nowhere in that paper does any writer or editor state the loss was Virtanens fault. Only that fans made him the scapegoat. You guys are making assumptions on intent and ignoring what was actually stated. And the last time I checked 19 was  a legal adult in Canada.

Blind overreaction at it's finest and no better than the overreaction of Canadian hockey fans after the loss. You guys are scapegoating the Province for reporting just as fans scapegoated Virtanen for playing.

Front/back pages sells papers... Editors know that.

The fact a picture of Virtanen in the province with that headline has caused a 10 page outrage or debate on CDC, is testament to that.

Glad Canucks has taken offence and spoken to the paper, although that really won't change a thing. The damage is done...

12 hours ago, Mustapha said:

The Province didn't scapegoat him with that article. The cheeky title was misunderstood by the majority of people who read the title and only the title.

You're late to the party. I never said anything about the article. The scapegoating was done with the photo and caption.

On 1/7/2016 at 2:56 AM, Baggins said:

What he lacked was the foresight for local fans lack of comprehension/reading skills, self righteous indignation, and lack of rational thought. Virtanen was made the scapegoat by the hockey fans. Is that not true? Considering the national spotlight why wouldn't that be a story? Nowhere in that paper does any writer or editor state the loss was Virtanens fault. Only that fans made him the scapegoat. You guys are making assumptions on intent and ignoring what was actually stated. And the last time I checked 19 was  a legal adult in Canada.

Blind overreaction at it's finest and no better than the overreaction of Canadian hockey fans after the loss. You guys are scapegoating the Province for reporting just as fans scapegoated Virtanen for playing.

Ever hear the statement "A picture is worth a thousand words"?. Then add a bold headline on top of the picture. I cannot see how you or anyone could not take that cover as a direct insulting attack on Virtanen. They did state: "Goat Medal Winner" How can the message be any clearer?  They could have presented the story many different ways. They could have had a photo of a dejected Virtanen together with his team mates, instead of the shot of him alone in the seconds after he realized he went too far on getting his retaliatory penalty. And the headline could have been "Disapointment for Team Canada" or something like that. And a byline with "undisciplined play part of the reason for the loss of the game".  Everyone would know they were talking about, in part, Virtanens faux pas, without having to embarrass and humiliate him the way they did on his home province paper.

Here lets try something: 

az9a43.jpg

TROLL MEDAL WINNER!

After CDC is ridiculed by the internet community as tops in ignorant flame-baiting bandwagon jumping behaviour, plenty of people are laying blame on the keystrokes of CDC regular, Baggins.

I am assuming you would not alert on this post, because you of all people would understand from looking at it as is, without any other text, that I myself do not believe this. I was only reflecting what I know "plenty of people" are thinking. And I also think it would be a good public service to get this message out there. 

44 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Ever hear the statement "A picture is worth a thousand words"?. Then add a bold headline on top of the picture. I cannot see how you or anyone could not take that cover as a direct insulting attack on Virtanen. They did state: "Goat Medal Winner" How can the message be any clearer?  They could have presented the story many different ways. They could have had a photo of a dejected Virtanen together with his team mates, instead of the shot of him alone in the seconds after he realized he went too far on getting his retaliatory penalty. And the headline could have been "Disapointment for Team Canada" or something like that. And a byline with "undisciplined play part of the reason for the loss of the game".  Everyone would know they were talking about, in part, Virtanens faux pas, without having to embarrass and humiliate him the way they did on his home province paper.

Here lets try something: 

az9a43.jpg

TROLL MEDAL WINNER!

After CDC is ridiculed by the internet community as tops in ignorant flame-baiting bandwagon jumping behaviour, plenty of people are laying blame on the keystrokes of CDC regular, Baggins.

I am assuming you would not alert on this post, because you of all people would understand from looking at it as is, without any other text, that I myself do not believe this. I was only reflecting what I know "plenty of people" are thinking. And I also think it would be a good public service to get this message out there. 

Post of the Year.

7 hours ago, kilgore said:

Here lets try something: 

az9a43.jpg

TROLL MEDAL WINNER!

The Province reported what happened after the game. Can you deny Virtanen was made the goat after the loss by hockey fans across Canada?

The headline is explained in the byline. Canadian fans piled on Virtanen after the game. Thus making him the Goat medal Winner. Even here on cdc people love to play the blame game and we have at least one whipping boy, or goat, every year. Virtanen was the whipping boy after the loss. Now whose picture should they have shown if the province was going to report that?

Your sad attempt to be clever is really nothing more than a personal attack because you don't like my opinion and can't argue it with any kind of intelligent logic. The difference being what you posted simply isn't true. I'm not ignorant, a troll, nor a bandwagon jumper. While the Province on the other hand reported something that actually occurred.

12 hours ago, Baggins said:

The Province reported what happened after the game. Can you deny Virtanen was made the goat after the loss by hockey fans across Canada?

The headline is explained in the byline. Canadian fans piled on Virtanen after the game. Thus making him the Goat medal Winner. Even here on cdc people love to play the blame game and we have at least one whipping boy, or goat, every year. Virtanen was the whipping boy after the loss. Now whose picture should they have shown if the province was going to report that?

Your sad attempt to be clever is really nothing more than a personal attack because you don't like my opinion and can't argue it with any kind of intelligent logic. The difference being what you posted simply isn't true. I'm not ignorant, a troll, nor a bandwagon jumper. While the Province on the other hand reported something that actually occurred.

Who cares about hockey fans across Canada and what they think? And why should a local paper use that to form the headline? Maybe you need a little history lessen. Back in 2011 when the Canucks made their cup run, there was such a shocking outpouring of hate for the Canucks from points east that it stunned everybody. Even the media starting to ooze a little of this offensive vile into their reporting. Traditionally, Canadians would rally around whatever team was left from Canada going into the playoffs. Not so with the Canucks. We all learned just how deep the bitter jealousy was entrenched.

So if a Toronto paper ran that headline, it would be distasteful at the very least. For our own (P)rovince, NOT acceptable.

12 hours ago, Baggins said:

Oh I'm sorry, I thought my headline is explained in the bylline. I'm not being critical of you myself, I am only saying what I think "plenty of people" are saying.

Look, I type in "Jake Virtanen blamed for loss" into Google. What shows up?  The Score, Yahoo news, NHL Trade Rumours, Fox Sports....All of them stories highlighting The Province cover. No other papers across Canada mentioned. Any quotes from other Canadian hockey officials describe the loss much more respectfully. They talk about team discipline, and say Jake did not have a good tournament. They do not specifically make him the poster boy. There is absolutely no evidence that "plenty of people" lay all the blame, the goat horns, onto one player. It is only The Province that goes there.

Even IF it is abundantly clear The Province was only objectively reflecting plenty of Canadians opinion,  which I disagree with...who are these plentiful people that you claim are being represented? A few idiots that do not understand the game and only watch WJ and the SCF? And/or some angry twitter messages by some just after the game? That is to be expected. You've seen the PGT after a miserable performance by the Canucks. Just like it would only be a few idiots on CDC that would label you or anyone a "troll" for one ill advised drunken post at 3 am. 

No this was a case of a news organization inventing the news themselves. Most likely a suit penned that headline. Someone who is not a big hockey fan, who ASS-UMED fellow Canadians were just as willing to publicly shame and humiliate a home town teenage Canuck prospect. That he would feed off of this imagined lynch mob, and sell a few more papers.

On 1/4/2016 at 4:20 AM, CanadianRugby said:

So we're supposed to boycott a newspaper because you don't like their article? 

In this country luckily we have the FREEDOM to do what we wish with respect to most things, as long as they are legal.  You don't have to boycott the paper, just like I can boycott it if I so choose. 

On January 9, 2016 at 10:59 AM, RaymondT said:

Who cares about hockey fans across Canada and what they think? And why should a local paper use that to form the headline? Maybe you need a little history lessen. Back in 2011 when the Canucks made their cup run, there was such a shocking outpouring of hate for the Canucks from points east that it stunned everybody. Even the media starting to ooze a little of this offensive vile into their reporting. Traditionally, Canadians would rally around whatever team was left from Canada going into the playoffs. Not so with the Canucks. We all learned just how deep the bitter jealousy was entrenched.

So if a Toronto paper ran that headline, it would be distasteful at the very least. For our own (P)rovince, NOT acceptable.

this aint conspiracy rah rah either.

we all saw it, every clown fan in every Canadian city hated on us.

all the media clowns piled on as per usual.

On 2016-01-09 at 11:29 AM, kilgore said:

Oh I'm sorry, I thought my headline is explained in the bylline. I'm not being critical of you myself, I am only saying what I think "plenty of people" are saying.

Look, I type in "Jake Virtanen blamed for loss" into Google. What shows up?  The Score, Yahoo news, NHL Trade Rumours, Fox Sports....All of them stories highlighting The Province cover. No other papers across Canada mentioned. Any quotes from other Canadian hockey officials describe the loss much more respectfully. They talk about team discipline, and say Jake did not have a good tournament. They do not specifically make him the poster boy. There is absolutely no evidence that "plenty of people" lay all the blame, the goat horns, onto one player. It is only The Province that goes there.

Even IF it is abundantly clear The Province was only objectively reflecting plenty of Canadians opinion,  which I disagree with...who are these plentiful people that you claim are being represented? A few idiots that do not understand the game and only watch WJ and the SCF? And/or some angry twitter messages by some just after the game? That is to be expected. You've seen the PGT after a miserable performance by the Canucks. Just like it would only be a few idiots on CDC that would label you or anyone a "troll" for one ill advised drunken post at 3 am. 

No this was a case of a news organization inventing the news themselves. Most likely a suit penned that headline. Someone who is not a big hockey fan, who ASS-UMED fellow Canadians were just as willing to publicly shame and humiliate a home town teenage Canuck prospect. That he would feed off of this imagined lynch mob, and sell a few more papers.

I did a quick search and easily came up with two articles referring to social media going off on Virtanen. And it's bigger news here because he's one of our highly touted prospects. You seem to be in denial of something that actually happened. I don't do the twitter thing yet I knew about what happened. How is that? Well it was so big it made the news.

Canadian hockey fans are still reeling from Team Canada’s quarterfinal loss to Finland on Saturday at the 2016 world junior hockey championship.

Much of the blame for the disappointing outcome has fallen squarely on the shoulders of Vancouver Canucks rookie Jake Virtanen. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-defend-rookie-jake-virtanen-after-wjc-loss/

The Canadian team lost 6-5 to Finland in a quarter-final game on Saturday and Virtanen got crucified in the media and on social media for the two penalties he took that helped set up the game-winning goal for the Finns. http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/vancouver-canucks-will-take-some-time-to-decide-jake-virtanens-future-after-2016-world-juniors

Again, I have no problem with the Province pointing out what actually happened. And they didn't make it up, it did actually happen.

C'mon.  Social media erupted, the blame was on Jake.  Was it fair?  Of course not.  But social media in all it's injustice and mob mentality was blaming Jake.  He was the scapegoat. 

The Province headline writer jumped all over an easy pun and called Jake the Goat-Medal Winner.  Bad taste?  Duh!

Truth?  Well, the public had already determined that he was the scapegoat. 

The Province did not blame Jake or declare him to be the scapegoat or even the cause of Team Canada's mediocre performance.  The headline merely echoed public sentiment.

Was the teams performance Jakes fault?  In as much as one player among 23 can determine fault.  Sure.  Is any reasonable person buying that?  I hope sure hope not because it is nonsense.  Some 7 or 8 days later, I would hope that this hockey mad country had gotten over it.  Jake certainly has.

15 hours ago, Baggins said:

I did a quick search and easily came up with two articles referring to social media going off on Virtanen. And it's bigger news here because he's one of our highly touted prospects. You seem to be in denial of something that actually happened. I don't do the twitter thing yet I knew about what happened. How is that? Well it was so big it made the news.

Canadian hockey fans are still reeling from Team Canada’s quarterfinal loss to Finland on Saturday at the 2016 world junior hockey championship.

Much of the blame for the disappointing outcome has fallen squarely on the shoulders of Vancouver Canucks rookie Jake Virtanen. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-defend-rookie-jake-virtanen-after-wjc-loss/

The Canadian team lost 6-5 to Finland in a quarter-final game on Saturday and Virtanen got crucified in the media and on social media for the two penalties he took that helped set up the game-winning goal for the Finns. http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/vancouver-canucks-will-take-some-time-to-decide-jake-virtanens-future-after-2016-world-juniors

Again, I have no problem with the Province pointing out what actually happened. And they didn't make it up, it did actually happen.

Look, I was going to apologize for maybe going too  far to make my point with that graphic, and I do. But you still cling to this absurd notion that there was some mass movement among the Canadian press and public other than some anonymous idiots on social media, to blame Jake on the loss. And that the Province was only reflecting reality. But your links are not of editorials from hockey pundits isolating Jake as the Goat of the tournament. You can't find any. SN's worst line was "Much of the blame for the disappointing outcome has fallen squarely on the shoulders of Vancouver Canucks rookie Jake Virtanen.", without actually having any links to reputable sources to back that up.  The National Post's only went so far to say it was "a tough world junior tourney" for Jake. Both of these stories have much more content quoting those defending Jake.

You contend that these stories that include defenders of Jake, are the same as what the Province did on the back cover, a one-sided tabloid level smear? I can't even argue with you if you don't see the difference. Yes that is inventing news, inventing this viscous perception of BC hockey fans on one of their own. That was what was so maddening, that they gave the impression, forget about the rest of Canada, that this was most BC hockey fans opinion as well. That we think that shallow of him too. What's next? They have already stained us with we are the "goalie graveyard'. Next it will be the "rookie graveyard"

Of course there were angry fans, especially non-Canuck fans, on social media ranting emotionally right after that loss. (once again, I refer you to any PGT after a Canuck loss). Which is obviously what SN was referring to when they said "Much of the blame...has fallen squarley on..." What we are talking about here is a large media paper in one of the major Canadian cities acting like one of these ill informed bandwagon anonymous twitter idiots or a few flame baiters on message boards. They are the only official Canadian news organization that went there, that used the word "Goat", along with a guilty picture with the byline "Plenty of people....". Your links only prove how much more extreme they went. Inexcusable, juvenile, and wrong, so wrong, the mayor of wrongville.

16 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

C'mon.  Social media erupted, the blame was on Jake.  Was it fair?  Of course not.  But social media in all it's injustice and mob mentality was blaming Jake.  He was the scapegoat. 

The Province headline writer jumped all over an easy pun and called Jake the Goat-Medal Winner.  Bad taste?  Duh!

Truth?  Well, the public had already determined that he was the scapegoat. 

The Province did not blame Jake or declare him to be the scapegoat or even the cause of Team Canada's mediocre performance.  The headline merely echoed public sentiment.

Was the teams performance Jakes fault?  In as much as one player among 23 can determine fault.  Sure.  Is any reasonable person buying that?  I hope sure hope not because it is nonsense.  Some 7 or 8 days later, I would hope that this hockey mad country had gotten over it.  Jake certainly has.

"The Province did not blame Jake or declare him to be the scapegoat or even the cause of Team Canada's mediocre performance.  The headline merely echoed public sentiment."

Bullcrap.

11 hours ago, kilgore said:

Look, I was going to apologize for maybe going too  far to make my point with that graphic, and I do. But you still cling to this absurd notion that there was some mass movement among the Canadian press and public other than some anonymous idiots on social media, to blame Jake on the loss. And that the Province was only reflecting reality. But your links are not of editorials from hockey pundits isolating Jake as the Goat of the tournament. You can't find any. SN's worst line was "Much of the blame for the disappointing outcome has fallen squarely on the shoulders of Vancouver Canucks rookie Jake Virtanen.", without actually having any links to reputable sources to back that up.  The National Post's only went so far to say it was "a tough world junior tourney" for Jake. Both of these stories have much more content quoting those defending Jake.

You contend that these stories that include defenders of Jake, are the same as what the Province did on the back cover, a one-sided tabloid level smear? I can't even argue with you if you don't see the difference. Yes that is inventing news, inventing this viscous perception of BC hockey fans on one of their own. That was what was so maddening, that they gave the impression, forget about the rest of Canada, that this was most BC hockey fans opinion as well. That we think that shallow of him too. What's next? They have already stained us with we are the "goalie graveyard'. Next it will be the "rookie graveyard"

Of course there were angry fans, especially non-Canuck fans, on social media ranting emotionally right after that loss. (once again, I refer you to any PGT after a Canuck loss). Which is obviously what SN was referring to when they said "Much of the blame...has fallen squarley on..." What we are talking about here is a large media paper in one of the major Canadian cities acting like one of these ill informed bandwagon anonymous twitter idiots or a few flame baiters on message boards. They are the only official Canadian news organization that went there, that used the word "Goat", along with a guilty picture with the byline "Plenty of people....". Your links only prove how much more extreme they went. Inexcusable, juvenile, and wrong, so wrong, the mayor of wrongville.

The media didn't blame Jake and that includes the Province. The story was fans blaming Jake on social media. Which is what the back page of the Province stated. Get it yet? Other media sources also talked about fans social media blaming Jake.

You see that back page as the Province blaming Jake. That's not what it says at all. It says FANS are laying the blame on Jake. That is the story, and it is a headline here because he's our prospect. If it was a TO prospect I doubt the Province would care as much and TO press would care much more. A little common sense and perspective and you'd see fans here, yourself included, are overreacting to that back page. They simply told the truth: Fans were blaming Jake (our prospect) for the loss.

This is pointless and I'm done with it. It's old news now. Move on.....

10 hours ago, Baggins said:

The media didn't blame Jake and that includes the Province. The story was fans blaming Jake on social media. Which is what the back page of the Province stated. Get it yet? Other media sources also talked about fans social media blaming Jake.

You see that back page as the Province blaming Jake. That's not what it says at all. It says FANS are laying the blame on Jake. That is the story, and it is a headline here because he's our prospect. If it was a TO prospect I doubt the Province would care as much and TO press would care much more. A little common sense and perspective and you'd see fans here, yourself included, are overreacting to that back page. They simply told the truth: Fans were blaming Jake (our prospect) for the loss.

This is pointless and I'm done with it. It's old news now. Move on.....

We will have to just agree to disagree.

Even IF the Province was attempting with just a picture and one byline, to say they were ONLY reflecting SOME fans opinion, they failed miserably at getting that across.  Because it SEEMED like they were endorsing that opinion as some kind of general consesus in both the media and fans.Simply because it is coming from an official Canadian paper.Perception is everything. They could have changed the perception easily by instead saying "Some fans are saying"  instead of "Plenty of people". And that still would have been unnecessary, the picture, the byline, without anything else. Over the top.  IMO

I'm done.

I use to work with Botch. Don't think its on him but you would hope he would have say on what the title would be.  The province just created a tsunami of hate lol.  Clearly though Botch had no part in the naming of the article kinda sad.  He's a good guy would hate him to take the heat for someone elses mess up.

Archived