The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Tanknation (accepting membership)

Stanky Legs

I decided to make this thread as I am a firm believer that the best solution to getting the cup is to get really high draft picks for at least the next 3 years and develop them properly and provide them a good coach (Green not WD). This is s support group because it will be painful and we need each other for encouragement.

Of course, we have the other group, who believes that the road to the cup is through a slow retool with trying to make playoffs get booted early and draft an average guy at 20th. Let's welcome them and have a healthy discussion.

First off, good news! We are currently 25th and in range to draft an elite player. Edmonton is getting back McJesus and might move up, probably Toronto as well. The only hindrance to our Matthews is Columbus and Buffalo. 

I think the only way to build a championship team is to miss the playoffs for a few years and get some very high picks. Then supplement your picks with some good UFA signings and come out on winning end of some trades. 

I think it's a much longer process thought. Not 2 or 3 years. I think it's going to be 5 years of pain and team won't get good until our new top end picks are past their 23rd or 24th year of age. 

I've been following this team for 30+ years, what's another 10. But I hope it's done right and prospects aren't rushed. 

2 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I'm totally prepared and braced for a terrible season and a high pick.  I'm fine with it.

I'm also fine with squeaking into the playoffs.  I just hope to god that we don't just barely miss the playoffs.

We've been doing the getting into the playoffs and getting booted out early. I think it's hurting us in the ultimate goal of a cup. 

By the way, you have to say if you're in the club. If you support this movement.

Just now, WHL rocks said:

I think the only way to build a championship team is to miss the playoffs for a few years and get some very high picks. Then supplement your picks with some good UFA signings and come out on winning end of some trades. 

I think it's a much longer process thought. Not 2 or 3 years. I think it's going to be 5 years of pain and team won't get good until our new top end picks are past their 23rd or 24th year of age. 

I've been following this team for 30+ years, what's another 10. But I hope it's done right and prospects aren't rushed. 

Absolutely agree with you. It's painful but I will endure for the cup.

If we get Matthews or Puljujarvi this season, we become instant contenders for next season.
Trade either Horvat/Virtanen/McCann for a defensive player of similar caliber (Vatanen/Fleury/Pouliot)

Sedins-Sedins-Matthews(?)

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata/UFA (Lucic?)

Hansen-Sutter-McCann

Dorsett-Gaunce-Grenier

Burrows/Higgins/Cracknell

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-(Defensemen traded from Virtanen/UFA)

Hutton-Sbisa

3 minutes ago, DoughtysCheck said:

If we get Matthews or Puljujarvi this season, we become instant contenders for next season.
Trade either Horvat/Virtanen/McCann for a defensive player of similar caliber (Vatanen/Fleury/Pouliot)

Hansen-Sutter-McCann

Dorsett-Gaunce-Grenier

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Sbisa

As WHL mentioned, I think we need more firepower than that. It's a good start though.

The only member that matters is Benning. If he can make the trades to get us the pieces and get us to the bottom to also get the picks the I'm for it. If he can't or won't then its useless.

The team on the other hand has to play to win or were just teaching them to be losers and all the picks wont help us. 

I know this sounds crazy but I mess around with time travel. 

Im probably going to upset the balance of time but I'm going to go ahead and give you a rundown of what is about to happen. 

As soon as we get healthy we will claw our way into the playoffs.

We will hold onto our streaking pending UFA's due to our playoff position. 

We will beat the equally crappy 2nd/3rd seed in the pacific.

The Kings will lose a gruelling 7 game series against a Central division wildcard. 

We will upset a Beat up central division opponent with Miller standing on his head. 

We will then be swept in the western conference final and pick 4th last in the draft. 

We will pick Tyler Benson, or something useless like a goalie. 

Hammer, Vrb and Weber get multi year extensions with NMC's. 

Almost or barely make the playoffs next 5 years. 

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

The only member that matters is Benning. If he can make the trades to get us the pieces and get us to the bottom to also get the picks the I'm for it. If he can't or won't then its useless.

The team on the other hand has to play to win or were just teaching them to be losers and all the picks wont help us. 

I think JB is with us if course he won't publicly say it but he's making moves that in that direction like Dorsett and Prust. Also Webber and Sbisa. In February I think he will sell with Vrbata probably Hamhuis if he's healthy. That's the signal.

17 minutes ago, DoughtysCheck said:

Hansen-Sutter-McCann

Dorsett-Gaunce-Grenier

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Sbisa

I don't think this team is a contender next season no matter where they pick in the draft. Just my opinion.

1 minute ago, 1970 and beyond said:

I don't think this team is a contender next season no matter where they pick in the draft. Just my opinion.

We don't have the organizational depth to be a Stanley Cup contender. 

1 minute ago, Lui's Knob said:

Who wants to see 4-0 in the playoffs? Or a high draft pick play next year with speed and skill? Everyone wants the latter. Let's hope benning doesn't goof up a bad year in the standings and make the team draft in the 10-15 range

I wouldn't mind going 4-0 in the playoffs, guaranteeso at least 2 rounds. Now 0-4 is a completely different story.

Archived