The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Tanknation (accepting membership)

Stanky Legs

6 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

I wish this team would nab a top 5, but with a guy like Miller and the Sedins' I don't see it happening. Miller will come back like  a man possesed and he will screw up the tank, along with Sutter. Behold a 10th pick is incoming.

Desi even a 10th can be made into a 7th if you have the right GM and the right players.

6 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hi Guys

Just me.....I am sure I am not the only one saying this for the past 2 years, but it sure feels good to get some support! I took some pretty big hits in the first year. And some posters just blocked me for my opinions, yet some agreed with me. As this year has unfolded I have continued to remain consistent in my message.

This is all about asset management, and loosing UFA's for nothing, and selling high when aging veteran players have career years, IMO Benning has blundered terribly on this one factor.....you all know it

2014-2015 Matthais-career year-walks, Richardson solid defensive player-walk

2014 Vrbata 35+ goals, Dan Hamhuis declining in talent yet still worth a solid 1st

2015-2016 Hansen Career year and Edler having another solid year 30

Now I still think there is a lot of value there, and the prospects and picks Benning could acquire for these assets would set us up nicely, maybe not as well as last year, but certainly it would give us all those and cap...........aka UFA;s

The cap for the 4 remaining players, would be in the tune of  $17,000,000, which could be use in the UFA market for 2 topend one if you wish, but just moving those 4 would add IMO, at the very least 2016-mid 1st, an  A-prospect, and 2 late firsts(or Multiple 2nds)

Along with Columbus's 2nd (which we might have to pay a little for) We would set up with 2 1st, an A-Prospect, and 4 or 5 second, these would be fine building blocks, and along with the lower point total we more than likely have this year, we would be pushing the rebuild 2 or 3 year ahead..............

These are thing I have been saying for months now.............I would love a little love for me taking one for the team continually, but if you don't feel I deserve it, that is ok too!..........

I found this interesting site you may want to visit, it seems to be up dated nightly, and does a much better job than NHL.com Team Stats for what it is worth......

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

Not a bad site. I simmed lottery and the first time Edmonton won the 1st overall lol and the second time, Anaheim won the 1st overall. 

The tank is taking care of itself, We are basically at the halfway point and are on pace for a 80 point season.

We are 6 points out of 30th place!

Lets face it, once you get past the Sedin's and maybe Sutter, this team is just not that good.

These players and our coaching staff will never intentionally not try twin every game. 

Management will be moving players at the deadline if we continue at this pace and I have no probs with that! I think there is a reason that Benning has loaded this team with 1 year contracts

That is not a train coming at us from the end of the tunnel, it is one of

Matthews, Puljujarvi, Laine, Tkachuk, Chychrun, Juolevi. etc.

CYBELNgU0AAgxnK.jpg

23 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

The tank is taking care of itself, We are basically at the halfway point and are on pace for a 40 point season.

Lets face it, once you get past the Sedin's and maybe Sutter, this team is just not that good.

These players and our coaching staff will never intentionally not try twin every game. 

Management will be moving players at the deadline if we continue at this pace and I have no probs with that! I think there is a reason that Benning has loaded this team with 1 year contracts

CYBELNgU0AAgxnK.jpg

IN reality I see us at 27th overall in the league with those games at hand on us

I have to ask.  Using the term Tank, it would imply that there is a deliberate attempt to put out a weak product and purposely try to lose games.  When this teams starts to get healthy how are people implying we stay a bottom feeder team?

I only question this because, I truly believe getting rid of some dead weight (Higgins, Hamhuis, Burrows, Vbrata, Prust) will actually improve our team.  Youth will be giving more minutes and that excitement for the game is contagious.  Right now only Vbrata is really providing an impact, and that’s only when he’s been playing with Horvat and Baertschi. 

Just because we will be sellers at the deadline, doesn’t mean we will be tankers. 

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

The tank is taking care of itself, We are basically at the halfway point and are on pace for a 40 point season.

CYBELNgU0AAgxnK.jpg

How could we be on pace for a 40pt season if we are on 39 at the halfway point. Am I missing something?

The time to "tank" as I said would have been last season in the off season.  This season, in the off season.  Before the start of the 2014/2015 and 2015/2016 seasons.

Doing it in the middle of the race won't work.  We'll just bring up our depth youth from utica who will come in hungry and do everything they can to win games.  Showing more drive and heart in their first period than some of our established vets have in multiple games.

We're really currently this bad, contrasted by the fact that the teams around us or formerly behind us are really just that good.

To be honest I expect Buffalo to go on a run soon as well as edmonton leaving us possibly in the bottom 3 as soon as those games at hand are played by the teams currently behind us in the standings.  We're lucky thus far we have not seen an injury to Hank or Danny causing them to miss a significant amount of games.

I am still for doing poorly because like last year I''d like to see us sell off draft high on our own merit and use the glut of picks/prospects via our trading of vets to obtain a serious amount of depth in this and next years drafts.  multiple D men or the crease clearing variety and some decent wingers worth the name.

We cannot tank mid season.  but we can be damned bad based on our own merit.  But sadly with hammer and Sutter on their way back in the very near future I can see us finishing just outside of the playoffs.  say 11th in the west good for 8th or 9th overall

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

The tank is taking care of itself, We are basically at the halfway point and are on pace for a 80 point season.

CYBELNgU0AAgxnK.jpg

What I am not understanding is how in the world do teams like Buffalo with grade A prospects Eichel, and Reinhart, great young players in Kane and O'Reilly be possibly be below us in the standings again. Just the fact that Edmonton, and Buffalo who have gotten the best prospects in the last few years are still in the bottom of the heap proves that something is not right with just giving the next generation of stars to the bottom feeding teams and they are making a joke of these prospects. When I look at the bottom frrding teams and who is in the top four, It's like I'm Marty McFly.

7 hours ago, Provost said:

People still believe that there is some sort of magic tanking formula to success no matter how many times others post actual facts.

The most likely outcome of sucking badly will be to continue sucking badly for a long long time and still never win a Cup.  You can't point to the couple of exceptions (who did not tank... they were just bad teams who couldn't win even though they were trying), and ignore the bulk of the teams who have been out of the playoffs for years and continue to be out of the playoffs without even a sniff at success.

If we are out of the playoff race, then by all means become sellers and ditch some veterans.  That isn't tanking, just asset management since the season is lost already, there have been buyers and sellers every deadline it is nothing new.  The "tanking" crowd has wanted us to purposefully throw away seasons even when we were high up in the standings in order to lose as badly as possible.  

Considering how some of our veterans are playing you even might want to worry that if we trade them away we will get better with a bunch of AHLers in the lineup.

Odds are outside of Matthews you will get a serviceable player and not a franchise talent to build around.  Even he isn't a guaranteed top line player.  Even by being last in the league you are only getting a 1 in 5 shot at Matthew, and unlike in the past you aren't guaranteed 2nd pick you could fall to 4th.

As mentioned above, it is a far safer bet to swing for the fences on a couple of established top end players as a UFA or trade.  You can supplement them with solid players you draft outside the lottery picks who are on cheap contracts.  Getting Stamkos for example makes your team significantly better as it drops everyone else down a notch facing lesser opposition.

exactly.........I'm happy to see the Canucks sink lower in the standings, toward a franchise type player, but i want to see them work hard and compete every shift for a win.  Professional athletes and the people who run the organizations do not lose on purpose.

7 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Sometimes I question your sanity but your right on this one Des. Our best years were because we accidently tanked and got the Twins. But  we got lucky. We got the twins and the 2 bottom feeders got Brendal and Stephan lol

this drafts top 7-8 are all great prospects. So if we lose, we win. We have a few great supporting pieces, but we need top line forwards to replace the twins. If the top forwards are gone we could always go the Juolevi or Chychrun route. 

So then who's to say we don't draft another Patrik Stefan or Pavel Brendl? Where's the guarantee? They were both highly toted players in that year.

Getting a top 5 pick is a tool for rebuilding lousy hockey clubs, but it's a tool that is given to you, not one that you go out and purchase...that would be a huge mistake. If you are relying on a top 5 pick to save your franchise then it is the equivalent of a CEO taking the company's payroll to Vegas and hoping to save the company. Any GM that builds around the draft should be fired. If you happen to get a decent player or if you fluke out with late round picks (ie/ Detroit) then good for you, nothing anybody can do to stop good fortune such as that. But the reality is you MUST build around solid established NHL players and not pin your hopes on players who haven't even played a single NHL game. Again they might turn out OK, but they might not...it's literally the definition of a gamble.

And for those who point to Chicago and LA as the reason we need that #1 guy whom we got through the draft, let's examine the facts:

CHICAGO

1997 Bounced in first round (6 gms)

1998 to 2001 Out of playoffs

2002 Bounced in first round (5gms)

2003 to 2008 Out of playoffs

So for anyone keeping score that's 2 playoff appearances in 11 years (2005 cancelled) of which they managed to win only 3 games...so A LOT of tanking had to go on before they finally landed Toews and Kane.

Draft history:

1997 1st (13 OA) Dan Cleary - Good player, helped Detroit more than Chicago

1998 1st (8 OA) Mark Bell - Who?

1999 1st (23 OA) Steve McCarthy - Who?

2000 1st (10 OA) Mikhail Yakubov - Who?

2001 1st (9 OA) Tuomo Ruutu - Pretty good player

2002 1st (21 OA) Anton Babchuk - Meh...average Dman

2003 1st (14 OA) Brent Seabrook - FINALLY a decent player worthy of a high pick!!

2004 1st (3 OA) Cam Barker - notably that prior to Kane this equalled their highest pick (same pick as Toews) so...meh.

2005 1st (7 OA) Jack Skille - Meh

2006 1st (3 OA) Captain Serious - FINALLY another good pick

2007 - 1st pick OA goes to Chicago. But who was the #1 ranked player? Kyle Turris...what if they went with the #1 ranked player instead of the #2...would they still have won any cups? What made them go with the #2 guy? If he was truly better than the #1 guy then he would have been ranked #1 not #2...kind of lucky there weren't they?

2008 - 1st (11 OA) Kyle Beach - Meh

So A LOT of crappy to average picks had to be taken before they landed Seabrook, Toews and Kane.

Scorecard: 9 seasons out of playoffs, 3 good picks in 13 years.

Is this what we are prepared to go through? I say h-e-double hockey sticks NO! Re-tool NOW! Get some players for ours and get some decent talent from a very deep UFA pool this year. I don't want multiple years of tanking and hoping to pickup a saviour through the draft.

PS...I forgot to do LA...gotta go to work...I'll do them later.

Anaheim is heating up (5-3-2 last 10) and San Jose looks worse than they actually are because of three games in hand (and only a -5 goal differential). If Anaheim stayed bad, I'd be fine with gunning for the playoffs. But if they continue to play decent we are better off selling at the deadline. Dan Hamhuis will likely be back before the deadline, and would be a nice veteran piece for a team making a run. We could probably get a late first or decent young player for Hamhuis + 3rd, and a 2nd for Vrbata. Bartkowski would also garner a 3rd or 4th round pick. 

As for the picks, I love the top 6. Even if we don't get Matthews, there are three wingers with size/physicality with top line potential and two solid dmen. 

Archived