The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

canucks lineup on thursday

falcons

On 2/2/2016 at 3:17 PM, Boddy604 said:

I think more than anything they recognize McCann is not a 4th line player. Unfortunately, there's just no room higher up. Right now, he's the most likely replacement for Sedin in a couple years. Put him in Utica next season with top line minutes and 1st unit powerplay and he'll develop there too. He made the jump from juniors to nhl and after 50 games, he's played 44 of them. It's not like he's been left out a whole lot.

I agree. 

Unfortunately, he fell into the same category as Horvat when they decided to keep him rather than demote him back to his Junior club. It wasn't going to serve his development and may have stalled it. He has shown he has great value to this team but needs to polish up his play just a bit. If he goes to the AHL next season, I see a great future for this kid as a Canuck. I'm still amazed we got him at the pick we did. He could be the steel of that draft in a couple seasons.

Even though it's not top line minutes, he still needs regular shifts rather than sitting and watching. 4th line minutes are better than none.

We need to start winning games in a big way if we're going to make the playoffs. We need to be around .600 to .700 the rest of the way, and if we play that well we might even make some noise in the first round. If we hover around .500 we're dust.

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Vbrata

Etem - Sutter - Burrows

Dorsett - McCann - Virtanen

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Hutton - Biega

Bartkowski

I'd really like to see those defensive pairings. Hutton and Sbisa have been a disaster defensively. Put the nervous, shaky Sbisa out with Hamhuis to give him some physical protection and have Hammer cover up Sbisa's gaffs, and Biega has been really good defensively but only at lower minutes so I'd like to see him paired with Hutton. As for forwards, Horvat and Sutter essentially both play 15 minutes a night. Henrik at 18 minutes, McCann at around 12 minutes. Horvat gets more PP time, Sutter gets the majority of the PK time so they're pretty even in terms of ice-time. 

The rest of our season depends on the defence though and whether they can gel properly with Hamhuis back. He's going to take time to shake the rust off but hopefully we can get some good chemistry on our defence because lately they've been in shambles without a veteran. Our forwards are pretty reliably scoring goals, it's the defence that's letting us down time and time again. 

Also we need a 50-50 split between Markstorm and Miller until someone puts together consecutive wins and starts running with the ball. Both have been great but aren't closing out games (mainly because of this leaky defence).

This is a huge turning point in the season, lets hope we get our crap together and start playing the way we did at the start of the season without injuries because if we're that team we make the playoffs easily.

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We need to start winning games in a big way if we're going to make the playoffs. We need to be around .600 to .700 the rest of the way, and if we play that well we might even make some noise in the first round. If we hover around .500 we're dust.

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Vbrata

Etem - Sutter - Burrows

Dorsett - McCann - Virtanen

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Hutton - Biega

Bartkowski

I'd really like to see those defensive pairings. Hutton and Sbisa have been a disaster defensively. Put the nervous, shaky Sbisa out with Hamhuis to give him some physical protection and have Hammer cover up Sbisa's gaffs, and Biega has been really good defensively but only at lower minutes so I'd like to see him paired with Hutton. As for forwards, Horvat and Sutter essentially both play 15 minutes a night. Henrik at 18 minutes, McCann at around 12 minutes. Horvat gets more PP time, Sutter gets the majority of the PK time so they're pretty even in terms of ice-time. 

The rest of our season depends on the defence though and whether they can gel properly with Hamhuis back. He's going to take time to shake the rust off but hopefully we can get some good chemistry on our defence because lately they've been in shambles without a veteran. Our forwards are pretty reliably scoring goals, it's the defence that's letting us down time and time again. 

Also we need a 50-50 split between Markstorm and Miller until someone puts together consecutive wins and starts running with the ball. Both have been great but aren't closing out games (mainly because of this leaky defence).

This is a huge turning point in the season, lets hope we get our crap together and start playing the way we did at the start of the season without injuries because if we're that team we make the playoffs easily.

The lineup from the looks of it is:

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Dorsett-Sutter-Virtanen

Burrows-Vey-Etem

Edler-Tanev 

Hamhuis-Biega

Sbisa-Hutton

Maybe you forget but Hamhuis Sbisa was probably a worse pairing than Bieksa Sbisa. So far, Hutton is the only one who's done well with Sbisa. I'd imagine that pairing sticks until a new guy is brought in.

31 minutes ago, Yukoncanuck87 said:

I think Vey is a late bloomer because of his size.

If you look at last season he couldn't win a battle in the corners. This year he can win those battles. And I'd much rather play Vey then risk losing him to waivers, burrows vey etem stabilized are third line the last while why r u people wanting to spit it up?? Makes no damn sense bunch of children with no patience but I want it now give McCann top minutes lol

sedin 

sutter 

horvat 

vey 

Cracknell 

McCann    That's are center depth chart.

put McCann on the wing cause he is a liability in the center position if all the above r healthy that is.   Why do u think Daniel had the day off at practice today n WD had mccann on the wing with hank center n Sutter On the other side. This is why its a big risk to rush a young center to play center when there to weak to play center n have the responsibility a center has. Play him on the wing for the rest of the year n he will flourish.

did i say mccann needs top minutes? maybe quote someone else on that but not me. And about McCann on wing, I dont disagree at all, if he is gonna get into games I think that is where we are going to see him as long as our C stay healthy

51 minutes ago, Realtor Rod said:

With Hank and Sutter back, we should see fairly shortly where Vey sits with WD and if JB sends him down. I would rather see McCann than Vey, but I would rather see Cracker over Vey as well. JB will decide I guess. Can't keep them all around. 

Looks like Vey will be on the third line and Sutter will be on the fourth.

We know exactly where Vey sits with Willie. Willie would make him first line center if he could.

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

did i say mccann needs top minutes? maybe quote someone else on that but not me. And about McCann on wing, I dont disagree at all, if he is gonna get into games I think that is where we are going to see him as long as our C stay healthy

They tried McCann on the wing earlier in the season..He looked completely out of his element..Sutter is a lot better at being switched around,he's a pretty smart player..IMO

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

I was referring to the vey quote. I just went on a rant on the rest of it my bad bud.

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Looks like Vey will be on the third line and Sutter will be on the fourth.

We know exactly where Vey sits with Willie. Willie would make him first line center if he could.

Its really sickening. If i was a GM, I would fire my coach for this garbage. It reminds me of a coach/owner in minor hockey playing their kid when they should be cut. 

JB, send him down.

On 2 February, 2016 at 0:10 PM, TOOMUCHINTERNET said:

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Etem Sutter Vrbata

Burrows Vey Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hutton Sbisa

Bartkowski Biega

first line don't try to fix what isn't broken

I think this would work better, Baertschi & Horvat need some more physicality beyond horvat
Etem, Sutter and Vrbata all good off rush and gives Vrbata more physicality since he's soft

Burrows gives Vey some skill to work with while he can also cause havoc with dorsett  

defence is well done but Hutton is better on normal side, sbisa being a physical type of D and non-rookie is the better of the two on their off side

Really liking these lines…especially the 3rd line.

2 hours ago, Realtor Rod said:

Its really sickening. If i was a GM, I would fire my coach for this garbage. It reminds me of a coach/owner in minor hockey playing their kid when they should be cut. 

JB, send him down.

You guy are taking this to far, we are in a rebuilding phase. If Willie can get us in the playoff with this lineup, image our team when our prospects mature and take over the team. 

Archived