The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Move Edler or Hamhuis

[Discussion] Move Edler or Hamhuis  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I say trade them both, both will net you a prospect and a pick. Hammer has higher end as he is way better defensively than Edler thus better for the playoffs Washington seems like a good destination a 1st and prospect. Edler probably fits the Islanders criteria for Hamonic, if thats the case it would be a straight up deal. After that, move Miller too and make room for Demko, Miller wants to be closer to his family in California so maybe try an convince one of those teams to take him on.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Today I learned that defencemen aren't anything if they are not putting up points.  Defencemen must be forwards or they're expendable...

Today I learned we need more forwards

They are officially renamed the backforwards. Heard it here first. 

The goalies are going to hate the increase in workload. 

We can't trade Edler. He brings too much to our blue line. He contributes in every area of the game. It's not all about point totals, but he is almost the only source of veteran offense from the back end. If we moved him, it would make Hutton our only defensman capable of playing an offensive game, which is too much pressure to put on a rookie. Tanev is a great player, but he doesn't offer the same offense that Edler does.

Hamhuis is a good player who could still be of use to us, but we can afford to trade him much more than we can Edler. We've survived 2 months without him, so he is not an integral part of our blue line. Edler and Tanev both bring leadership from the back end both offensively and defensively. Getting a pick/prospect would be more valuable than having 2 months of mentoring Hutton. 

Neither.

Canucks need to add to their D, not subtract.  Don't forget that they want to make the playoffs every year.

Taking away a top 4 means that they would have to add back 2 somehow which is a tall order.  There just aren't that many good D available in free agency.  Trading Hammer for a pick means that you would have to be able to draft in the top 5(?) in order to take Chychrun.  Taking a player for Hammer means a prospect who would not be ready for top 4 play.  There's another option of trading Hammer and Vrbata for a top 4 D but do the Canucks want to go there?  And that takes some luck to find a willing trade partner for that.

I think that when they consider the possibilities, and if they have a hope of making the playoffs every year, they can't do a lot better than re-signing Hamhuis especially for the price they could get him for.  He has already implied that he would take a hair cut on his salary (4.25 this year).

Even so, I still think that they will be cutting enough cap to be looking in the free agent market for defense.  That groin of Hammers may not allow him to carry a pairing any more but 1 true top 4 could take enough pressure off him so that he could continue being effective for a year or 2 until a replacement matures.

/\

I disagree. I think Edler, Tanev, and Hutton are good top-4 options going forward. What we need is a top-pairing RHD with the ability to drive offense.

Hamhuis is going to cost around 5 mil per, and likely with term. That really doesn't fit our needs.

10 minutes ago, D-Money said:

/\

I disagree. I think Edler, Tanev, and Hutton are good top-4 options going forward. What we need is a top-pairing RHD with the ability to drive offense.

Hamhuis is going to cost around 5 mil per, and likely with term. That really doesn't fit our needs.

You may be right about Hutton but we won't know until we try him.  He looks like a guy with ice water in his veins but to have the job on his own without a safety net is different.  So I'm saying Hutton as #3 is a leap of faith.  They're developing this guy for the long term and they can try him at top 4 (and they have already) but sheltering him a bit is a good idea just like the plan was to shelter Horvat in his 2nd year.

I know you would like a top pairing RHD but there isn't one available in free agency now that Buff is signed.  Demers from Dallas is the only pending RHD free agent worth looking at and he could be a #4.

I think that Hamhuis would sign for 2 @ $8 (4 per).  That's the same as Bieksa (which I was surprised at frankly).

With all the LHD in the draft this year, I would not mind changing it up a little and moving Edler for Hamonic.

It would be good to change it up, and get some new younger faces here, that doesn't carry the baggage that Edler does

The other thing is that seems to be easier to obtain a LHD in this draft

So we somehow have to convince Edler to wave his NTC and go to the Island

I wonder if it is one for one, or if there is a plus somewhere

Harmonic trade request counts for something and the Islanders need a Dman back which counts for something

I would think Hamhuis and Hutton one side and Tanev and Hamonic on the other looks good, and even with our current dmen prospects, it doesn't look as bad..........the 2 Russians and Subban, would fill in nicely, as would Biega as in a back up #7 role

Add a elite LHD and you have  a very good cast, and that shouldn't stop JB from picking up another Dman in the 2nd

Consider the first pick out of Chychrun, Sergachyov, Juolevi, and possibly Bean or McAvoy depending in our position

And Krys, Hajek, Claugue, Day with a late 1st(Vrbata+) or Columbus's 2nd + ,or our own 2nd

It would give us an opportunity to get younger and put some great Defensive talent on the farm...........Man, do it Benning!

Please!

For the right prices and returns I think both should go, as there may not be a better time to retool on the fly with the high value placed on veteran D-men.    

I think Hammer should go.  Nothing against the guy, it's just a business move for the betterment of the team.  Reputation-wise he should be viewed as better than Dion (top-4, former Olympian, stable D-man without the contract baggage), and as a "final piece" pickup for a contender/ pretender (Dallas, Washington, maybe Pittsburgh or even Colorado?) there shouldn't be a shortage of teams willing to vie for his services.  High pick and solid D-prospect (hopefully offensive D-man, e.g. Bowey/ Honka, +2nd) should be the asking price.

Eddie I think should get moved IF there's an NHL-level, ready replacement coming back (not saying the guy can cover his minutes or else his new team wouldn't want him in the first place-- almost like how Bones was a lesser player coming back for Kes), but if that can't be included I wouldn't mind keeping him.  For example, I look at Colorado again, and if they want Eddie I'd want them to pony up with Holden (lesser, average top-4 D who plays around 20 mins. per game), Zadorov (potential shutdown D-man) and 3rd.  (Thinking Richards trade to L.A. again for Simmonds, Schenn, pick).  

With those two trades, the team may suffer a bit in the short-term but long-term they may need sunglasses to look at the team's bright future in the back end.  Should the team continue to drop in the standings, who knows?  They may even draft another top D-prospect.  

17 hours ago, canuktravella said:

not sure why everyone wants hamhuis resigned do you realize hes only score once in 140 gamesand it was a empty net and brings no physicality, whereas edler  scores 30 points every yr eats huge minutes 

Hamhuis has something that Edler doesn't though. He is an ideal teacher for the up and coming Dmen. Always a consummate professional who proves it by his actions. You have to remember defence is not about scoring goals its keeping them out.

Oleksiak played under WD when they won the championship in the AHL. Benning seems to like big D, we have a couple but Oleksiak was a top 15 pick so I could see Benning looking at him and maybe talking to WD about his thoughts on him.

Hamhuis, something small?

for

Oleksiak, Honka 

Oleksiak doesnt get many PIM for such a big guy, wonder if he uses his size to hit? 

Honka is the pmd rhd we need going forward

59 minutes ago, Ojibwa72 said:

Hamhuis has something that Edler doesn't though. He is an ideal teacher for the up and coming Dmen. Always a consummate professional who proves it by his actions. You have to remember defence is not about scoring goals its keeping them out.

Edler is getting imaging on his foot.  It sounds like it could be broken.  If so, trading him at this TDL is now moot.  (Moo for you young ones.)

On 2/9/2016 at 1:50 PM, Yotes said:

Dallas fans seem to want to include eakin in a deal for Edler, I think he can be a W and not just a C. He has a new cap hit of 3.8m going forward, is 24. night not be a bad addition as he is nhl ready now.

Eakin, Honka and a 1st or try for ritchie instead?

for

Edler cracknell or nhl waived forward prust or higgins

Shinks is the same player as Eakin, but will be even better in a couple of years.  I'd love to see Honka and maybe a pick.

I don't think it's a good idea to trade both Edler and Hamhuis though.

19 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Shinks is the same player as Eakin, but will be even better in a couple of years.  I'd love to see Honka and maybe a pick.

I don't think it's a good idea to trade both Edler and Hamhuis though.

Honka, Eakin, Skinkaruk. Say that three times fast!

Archived