The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks lose to Marlies 5-2

Stanky Legs

5 hours ago, riffraff said:

Is that the fans fault or the mediocre product for the last five years?

That isn't a good enough excuse for the second largest Canadian city to have an empty seats.

Edmonton and Calgary are a fraction of Vancouver's size and have sucked worse for like a decade longer.

They still have a full house on Saturday night. 

Thanks for proving my point by the way, cause that entitlement type attitude is exactly what I'm talking about. If you can't handle a mediocre product, you sure as hell can't handle a really, really bad product over a really, really long period of time. 

Vancouver people like winning, more than hockey. For the rest of the country it's the other way around. 

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

That isn't a good enough excuse for the second largest Canadian city to have an empty seats.

Edmonton and Calgary are a fraction of Vancouver's size and have sucked worse for like a decade longer.

Thanks for proving my point by the way, cause that entitlement type attitude is exactly what I'm talking about. If you can't handle a mediocre product, you sure as hell can't handle a really, really bad product over a really, really long period of time. 

Vancouver people like winning, more than hockey. For the rest of the country it's the other way around. 

Did you go to the game last night?

4 hours ago, LaBamba said:

ticket prices were more reasonable in Edmonton or Calgary during those times than in Van. At some point, the entertainment value for the cost has an impact.

4 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I'm not really disagreeing with you.  But to be completely fair in assessment the aqualinis have been charging considerably more for a mediocre product in a city with other options for entertainment in winter.  That's risky.  They alienated the hardcore supporters from old days.  It's a deep problem.  Vancouver is too expensive.  Hockey tickets are too expensive.  There were some hardcore blue collars filling the seats back in the day when the team sucked.  I was one.  It's a city problem.  It's hard to compare our cities to Edmonton and Calgary on any level.  Ownership has been greedy from a ticket price point of view.

i don't think we can use entitlement to fairly describe the attitude of our fan base.  Calgary has provided a Stanley cup and Edmonton several.  

I hear what you're saying but to dismiss the situation as the fans fault or to simply say "we" couldnt handle a re build is unfair.  The rebuild should have started years ago.  Because it's apparent that ownership wasn't/isn't able to handle a rebuild either.  Maybe they can't handle a loss in the pocket over the short term as much as you think we cans hadle losing.

two way street.

22 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I'm not really disagreeing with you.  But to be completely fair in assessment the aqualinis have been charging considerably more for a mediocre product in a city with other options for entertainment in winter.  That's risky.  They alienated the hardcore supporters from old days.  It's a deep problem.  Vancouver is too expensive.  Hockey tickets are too expensive.  There were some hardcore blue collars filling the seats back in the day when the team sucked.  I was one.  It's a city problem.  It's hard to compare our cities to Edmonton and Calgary on any level.  Ownership has been greedy from a ticket price point of view.

i don't think we can use entitlement to fairly describe the attitude of our fan base.  Calgary has provided a Stanley cup and Edmonton several.  

I hear what you're saying but to dismiss the situation as the fans fault or to simply say "we" couldnt handle a re build is unfair.  The rebuild should have started years ago.  Because it's apparent that ownership wasn't/isn't able to handle a rebuild either.  Maybe they can't handle a loss in the pocket over the short term as much as you think we cans hadle losing.

two way street.

http://m.thn.com/blog/toronto-maple-leafs-most-expensive-ticket-in-nhl-all-teams-listed-1-to-30/

Vancouver's ticket prices are at par with Edmonton and Calgary. 

It might have something to do with a wealthy blue collar class in Alberta and it could be because they enjoy the actual game of hockey more IDK. 

Our building has also become very stale even when sold out. 

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

http://m.thn.com/blog/toronto-maple-leafs-most-expensive-ticket-in-nhl-all-teams-listed-1-to-30/

Vancouver's ticket prices are at par with Edmonton and Calgary. 

It might have something to do with a wealthy blue collar class in Alberta and it could be because they enjoy the actual game of hockey more IDK. 

Our building has also become very stale even when sold out. 

I agree with that.  Interestingly I know old school Canuck fans (60-70 year olds) who have giants tickets and now go to those games with their grandchildren.  Entertainment and environment.

a lot of the kids of the parents from the blue collar era have moved out of Vancouver.

6 hours ago, chon derry said:

must have been a let down for the old guard that wore the skate uniform to watch our current team put such a lame effort into what should have been a win , but all things happen for a reason. i guess it had to get this ugly for the owners and management to hopefully acknowledge all that is wrong with the team, and coach's.

I think the operative word here is "hopefully". I'm pretty sure management know what needs to be done, but if media reports are accurate (which may or may not be the case) even that brutal loss may not be a wake up call for the owners that they need to sell, not add.

12 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Haha pretty much

I guess we will see in two weeks what the collective brain trust for the organization decides to do with the team. My hunch is they do very little because they don't have much to offer playoff teams that will be mostly looking for impact players. I can hear GMJB saying something like "there were no decent offers out there so we decided the best for the team was to keep our undervalued assets"--hope I'm wrong.

Just now, NHTyrany said:

I guess we will see in two weeks what the collective brain trust for the organization decides to do with the team. My hunch is they do very little because they don't have much to offer playoff teams that will be mostly looking for impact players. I can hear GMJB saying something like "there were no decent offers out there so we decided the best for the team was to keep our undervalued assets"--hope I'm wrong.

Or you expect too much and won't be happy no matter what happens.

5 hours ago, LaBamba said:

There's been plenty of empty seats in Edm and Cal in recent years, but it looks like both teams have turned the corner.

The city of Vancouver doesn't have as large a fanbase as one would think.  Being a multi-cultural city, there are a great number of residents that have little to no interest in hockey.  The city offers a lot more entertainment/recreation options than her Alberta sisters, so the $ is further stretched with the competition.  Another problem is the cost of living in Vancouver, which makes it difficutl to spend hard-earned $ on over-priced hockey tickets.  Finally, there are huge numbers of Canuck fans that live outside the city, who attend very few games, so their support is somewhat muted.

Vancouver has enjoyed some great hockey over the years, but there have also been some pretty tough years.  This is a natural cycle for most teams in any sport.  If the players work hard and the management keeps making quality adjustments, I doubt the attendance will dip that dramatically. 

5 hours ago, LaBamba said:

The seats are full in Alberta markets because there is NOTHING else to do in that province.  The prairies are a dumpster, Hoth in the winter, Mad Max wasteland in the summer.  Vancouver has a million things to do with the family aside from going to see the Canucks.  It's better to let people think you are an idiot opposed to opening you mouth and proving them right, or in this case keyboard.

5 minutes ago, Stinkburger said:

The seats are full in Alberta markets because there is NOTHING else to do in that province.  The prairies are a dumpster, Hoth in the winter, Mad Max wasteland in the summer.  Vancouver has a million things to do with the family aside from going to see the Canucks.  It's better to let people think you are an idiot opposed to opening you mouth and proving them right, or in this case keyboard.

Give me a break hahah 

what is there to do in Vancouver that can't be done in Alberta? 

I would argue that there is more winter activities in Alberta. 

Outdoor rinks, sledding, ice fishing Ect. 

Vancouver actually sucks in the winter. 

20 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

Or you expect too much and won't be happy no matter what happens.

I'm not looking for a miracle but remain hopeful. Not sure why your unprovoked conjecture on my happiness creeps into this discussion. Perhaps you are just trolling.    

I would argue the fan base changes as the team does. Right now there is a transition going on, as with most things it's the hard part  for everyone. The rising cost of living and highest real estate prices in the country would in my opinion be another reason vancouverites simply cannot afford tickets. Also consider being a coastal city what percentage of citizens in Vancouver come from Asia, where hockey is not a large sport. These are issues since the team is struggling, when your winning people come out of the woodwork. These types are there for the show , but a fan, it's a whole other thing. Having fans means you can get thru most things, you know all about the players and the game is important to you. The empty seats never sat fans, or they are priced out. It's a transition.

16 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Give me a break hahah 

what is there to do in Vancouver that can't be done in Alberta? 

I would argue that there is more winter activities in Alberta. 

Outdoor rinks, sledding, ice fishing Ect. 

Vancouver actually sucks in the winter. 

You can go outside in +10 Vancouver winters first of all.

Outdoor rinks in -40 not counting windchill wow fun!

Ice fishing crammed in a small box with a bunch of dudes vs Salmon fishing or crab'n with some BC ladies?

Sledding? sounds like a fun date with your first cousin while sip'n on some pilsner.

Walking on a beach in BC during winter vs well.....I think The Never Ending Story described it as "The Nothing". Seems to fit Alberta, Sask and Manitoba well.

I had to wait overnight before I posted. That lack of effort from the entire team disgusted me that much. The Canucks plain and simple got out worked. There is no way Toronto can claim to have a more talented team, the only avenue for them to win was through elbow grease. To get out worked, to me, is about the worst way to go down because that is the one piece under your control.  Nobody else controls your effort level.

Vancouver had a chance to get closer to a playoff spot, which they claim they want, and didn't even show up. Vanouver knew Toronto was going to be hungry, the Leafs saw this as a winnable game for themselves. Well they didn't just win, they dominated. The whole game, or 90% anyway. Let that sink in for a minute. The Canucks got out-everythinged by an AHL team, with a very valuable 2 pts on the line because they didn't try. 

Something must be up with the players.  Maybe they know they can't run with the playoff teams and this was an opportunity to showcase that. No excuse for not trying. Maybe they have no faith in the coach anymore. No excuse for not trying. Maybe it was their message to management that they want a nice high pick on the team next year. No excuse for not trying. Maybe it was a message to the Canuck fans in the crowd who continually got drowned out by the Leafs fans. Sort of an excuse for not trying. 

Anyway, what I'm saying is if I showed up for work and put the effort the Canucks did in last night my butt would be out the door with my bosses footprint on it. And I couldn't blame him for it. It would be deserved. I guess what I'm trying to say is their lack of effort is driving me $&@?$%* crazy. 

Does Willie watch the games or can't he see past his mustache??  The power play is a miserable failure when all the other team has to do is stand by the Sedin on the blue line, intercept the pass, and fire it down the ice.  Only one power play goal in more than 20 games and that was probably scored by one of the kids.  And stop hanging Miller out to dry!  As for Cherry's prediction, I hope no one is holding their breath.

6 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I have often thought that the knowledge base of many Canuck fans simply was not there. Understanding how championship teams are built not there. The popularity for many was the simple pageantry of the event not a deep knowledge of the game. Living in the interior I don't get to many live games anymore. More likely to go to the Saddledome to see the Canucks there. The Flamer fans are pretty decent actually and knowledgeable of the game.

Canuck fans had better have satisfaction in watching the younger team evolve as that will be the situation for a few seasons. I do believe the Twins have spoilt fans and exaggerated expectations. Even if Benning is a great GM there is no sure thing in sports. Many great teams never won a CUP.  

Archived