The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

#InBenningITrust, do you ?

Positive Canuck

I still trust Benning to build us a beauty. Do you ?  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Agree with this 100%.  The culture change Benning talked about ad nauseum is still well underway.  Chronically declining, morally broken, and cancerous personalities are only partially excised at the point, mostly thanks to bloated contracts and NTC's up the wazoo.  This team will not truly start a rebuild until most or all of Gillis' NTC's and most of his draftees are long gone down memory lane.

I think what fans (including myself) and management should learn from these last five years is if we have an asset that is NOT in our future plans, has good/excellent value, and can be replaced; trade it while it's worth something.

Buy low, sell high. This should be our focus.

If we have an asset that IS in our future plans, treat it with respect and commit to it long-term. Don't sign a franchise player for his career and cop out three years later.

I think we would all agree that Hamhuis could give us many different returns that could roughly be worth the same.

Majority of people expected one blue chip prospect and a draft pick in the 2nd round or 3rd. Anything extra was a bonus. We got exactly that. We should've pulled a trigger. We could have tried to get a different return of about equal worth, like a 1st rounder (20-30) and a guaranteed second rounder (45+ range). Both packages are Roughly worth the same. Or maybe just ask for Honka and do a one for one  trade. 

Sadly i I don't think management saw it this way. They had their mind set on what they wanted and failed to notice the size of the market shrinking. This is why people are pissed we didn't get anything.  We weren't able to maximize our situation, and that should be considered a failure. It happens to the best of us. We get so zoned in on one thing and completely look past obvious signs of pending disasters such as was the case this trade deadline.

I think we need to get Laurence Gilman back. He was a creative genius when it came to finding contract loopholes situations, and we could maybe use a figure like that to work in tandem with JIM. 

With all that said I still believe in this management. Their intentions are good and they have a good outlook on what it takes to build a team. 

1 hour ago, Positive Canuck said:

I'm in the minority but i'm not hating on Jim at all. 

You're not in the minority, it's just the reactionaries that are yelling so loudly it seems like it.

Once people take a step back and analyze the situation, it's fine.  This thing won't turn around overnight.  JB and TL know what they're doing and they have a vision.  A vision and plan that they're sticking to and not changing with the fickle blowing of impatient fan winds.

10 minutes ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

I think we would all agree that Hamhuis could give us many different returns that could roughly be worth the same.

Majority of people expected one blue chip prospect and a draft pick in the 2nd round or 3rd. Anything extra was a bonus. We got exactly that. We should've pulled a trigger. We could have tried to get a different return of about equal worth, like a 1st rounder (20-30) and a guaranteed second rounder (45+ range). Both packages are Roughly worth the same. Or maybe just ask for Honka and do a one for one  trade. 

Sadly i I don't think management saw it this way. They had their mind set on what they wanted and failed to notice the size of the market shrinking. This is why people are pissed we didn't get anything.  We weren't able to maximize our situation, and that should be considered a failure. It happens to the best of us. We get so zoned in on one thing and completely look past obvious signs of pending disasters such as was the case this trade deadline.

I think we need to get Laurence Gilman back. He was a creative genius when it came to finding contract loopholes situations, and we could maybe use a figure like that to work in tandem with JIM. 

With all that said I still believe in this management. Their intentions are good and they have a good outlook on what it takes to build a team. 

in what planet does a 35 yr old declining broken face Hamhuis with 2 months left on his contract , that doesn't showcase for the 2 months leading up to the deadline, gives only 2-3 teams and claims his desire to remain in Vancouver get a first rounder ?

What the "majority of people expect" and reality of the market are 2 much very different things.

Imagine this conversation

JB  -   hello to NHL manager - would you like to trade us ( canucks ) for our player Vrbata.  Great skills....

Other GM  -     Jim are you on crack ? Vrbata is the worst defensive forward in the entire NHL. Plus he can't even generate goals or assists.  His plus minus is  533rd out of  533 NHL players in the league...   LOL  LMAO LOL  

JB  - well i am looking for a  7th  round pick or a bag of pucks.

Other GM -   I would want Vrbata  in a trade if you throw in Canucks    1st round pick this year......... 

JB - ahhhh , no  thanks. I guess Canuck fans are stuck with 20 more games with Vrbata before he signs in the KHL over the summer.

That is probably how trade negotiations went for Vrbata. 

Ok, try this on and see what you guys think.

I don't believe the owner meddled at all. It's obvious the team is not making the post season. Faced with that, how does one recoup the lost income from no playoffs? You get salary off your books, that's how. Which means move your bait for anything that doesn't cost you money right now, IE... prospects or picks , no matter how useless they are. Sure, Aqua and Gags don't get along, but 3 million dollars is 3 million dollars (I figure that's about how much salary not paying Hamhuis and Vrbata for the rest of the season would save). So Aqua should have been on the same page as a lot of posters here. But that didn't happen.

I think Nill and Benning were playing chicken after Nill took the Calgary deal. Chicken only ends two ways. One loser, or two losers. They left it too long and ran out of road.

That's my theory, anyway. Pure smoke, though. Absolutely based on nothing.

1 hour ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

As a fan im super paranoid of Benning at the draft. i won't be surprised he ends up trading away our 1st or one of Gillis prospects for another project player. And im even more afraid he ends up trading away our 1st plus McCann for Drouin.

Benning scares me, ever since he made that Shinkurak trade, no telling what he will do. 

Shinkaruk isn't even all that man... chill out

I have confidence in Bennings draft capability. But that's it. This deadline showed me that he doesn't have what it takes to make trades, or the owners won't give him full reign. The deadline has made the Canucks management the laughing stock of the NHL, as per Ray Ferraro. He has hurt our chances to land big name free agents this off season and may have severely handicapped this rebuild. I hope I'm wrong, and we get another good draft pick this year, but I have lost confidence that benning will be the one to bring this team to the cup final. Seems to be a step behind at all times. 

1 minute ago, BLU3GR33NBL00D said:

I'm trusting this process. We really gotta make a solid FA signing though this summer; Stamkos and Lucic would be a dream.

You think stamkos will sign here after the deadline fail by benning? He ruined any chance we have at landing stamkos. 

1 minute ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

Ok, try this on and see what you guys think.

I don't believe the owner meddled at all. It's obvious the team is not making the post season. Faced with that, how does one recoup the lost income from no playoffs? You get salary off your books, that's how. Which means move your bait for anything that doesn't cost you money right now, IE... prospects or picks , no matter how useless they are. Sure, Aqua and Gags don't get along, but 3 million dollars is 3 million dollars (I figure that's about how much salary not paying Hamhuis and Vrbata for the rest of the season would save). So Aqua should have been on the same page as a lot of posters here. But that didn't happen.

I think Nill and Benning were playing chicken after Nill took the Calgary deal. Chicken only ends two ways. One loser, or two losers. They left it too long and ran out of road.

That's my theory, anyway. Pure smoke, though. Absolutely based on nothing.

Iain MacIntyre    ✔‎@imacVanSun Brace yourself Vancouver: it is possible neither Hamhuis nor Vrbata gets traded. 3:27 PM - 28 Feb 2016         4141 Retweets       2424 likes

Imac tweeted this the day before the deadline..(he's usually in the know)...I think the management knew beforehand,that they were really going to be up against it ,regarding Hamhuis (and Vrbata).....Most of the trades were already made by the buyers in the previous week,and Benning probably didn't get any calls on any of the other players.

Archived