The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If we had the 4th overall pick.

Ichiban604

Paterson: The Canucks' most intriguing draft position might just be fourth overall

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/paterson+canucks+most+intriguing+draft+position+might+just/11858268/story.html

This Thread been out for few weeks now. Prospects ranking been change. Most of the prospects season are over. Just to see if everyone still thinks Jakob Chychrun (163 votes), Matthew Tkachuk (120 votes), and Pierre-Luc Dubois (33 votes) are the top choices.

Top prospects

Source: NHL Central Scouting final (April 12, 2016) ranking.[6]
Ranking North American skaters European skaters
1 Canada Pierre-Luc Dubois (LW) United States Auston Matthews (C)
2 United States Matthew Tkachuk (LW) Finland Patrik Laine (RW)
3 Sweden Alexander Nylander (LW) Finland Jesse Puljujarvi (RW)
4 Canada Jakob Chychrun (D) Sweden Rasmus Asplund (C)
5 Finland Olli Juolevi (D) Russia German Rubtsov (C)
6 United States Charles McAvoy (D) Sweden Carl Grundstrom (RW)
7 United States Logan Brown (C) Russia Yegor Korshkov (RW)
8 Russia Mikhail Sergachev (D) Czech Republic Filip Hronek (D)
9 United States Clayton Keller (C) Finland Henrik Borgstrom (C)
10 United States Kieffer Bellows (LW) Sweden Linus Lindstrom (C)
Ranking North American goalies European goalies
1 Canada Evan Fitzpatrick Sweden Filip Gustavsson
2 Canada Carter Hart Sweden Daniel Marmenlind
3 United States Tyler Parsons Finland Veini Vehvilainen

Tkatchuk is an excellent player, and if he's on the board I too believe JB will take him.  I just don't feel Tkatchuk will be there at four.  Therefore, I believe JB will trade down from four to 10 or 11 collecting another asset, while still getting one of the four D men who are ranked so high.  Chychrun, Juliovi, Sergachev, or Bean.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Tkatchuk is an excellent player, and if he's on the board I too believe JB will take him.  I just don't feel Tkatchuk will be there at four.  Therefore, I believe JB will trade down from four to 10 or 11 collecting another asset, while still getting one of the four D men who are ranked so high.  Chychrun, Juliovi, Sergachev, or Bean.

If his not available at 4th.... Then we get one of the Fins! A steal!?!

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I really like the two Finns too.  Does JB though?

If Benning going to draft best player available...'then I think he will. Most hockey experts says the big 3 sets themselves apart from the rest of the top prospects by a decent margin. 

It was real hard for me to take Tkatchuk, but in the end, I couldn't pass on him. What it does though is create other possibilities, with Edler and McCann, and with Benning's track record for moving players for real value.......well it just concerns me!

But, if we could say resign Hammer, move Edler and pick up a 10 to 14 OA pick, while getting a prospect as well, well that would interest me!

As for McCann, he would become expendable, which could be offered to say Carolina for a young Dman............it could really shape our future.........

I just don't know if Benning is the man to be in charge of those types of transactions? He doesn't instill confidence in his moving of assets.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Tkatchuk isn't there at four, that means he'll be drafted top three. which would mean one of the Fins dropped. Would be something like this: 

1. Matthews

2. Laine/Puljujarvi 

3. Tkatchuk 

4. Laine/Puljujarvi 

If I was picking at No. 4. I'd take one of the FIns. 

After that, swing for the fences in terms of drafting dman (that should be the focus on the picks thereafter - especially in the second round). 

That would be my strategy moving into the draft. 

I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of McCann. But I'd see if I can get something for Vey at the draft (IF he fetches anything). Problem is that we really don't have very good assets to move for anything in the first round. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I really like the two Finns too.  Does JB though?

he hasn't passed that information onto cdc yet...tkachuk would probably set our forwards up for years to come, but if all the d-men are available, he might by-pass the forward if he feels a d-man would solidify our back end....the good thing is, benning is a super talent scout....

3 minutes ago, jdatb said:

tkachuk likely won't be taken top 4. I think he's a legit Top 4 talent but the intrigue of Dubois or Nylander will probably be too much.

so your saying tkachuk will drop? wow. that'd be a steal for anyone drafting 5-8 then. 

Tkachuk all the way. Knew this before even opening the thread. I think it's as JB said, there's a definite top 15, and within that a top 6 that's virtually a lock:

1. Auston Matthews

2. Patrik Laine

3. Jesse Puljujarvi

4. Matthew Tkachuk

5. Jakob Chychrun

6. Alex Nylander

7. Pierre-Luc Dubois

8. Olli Juolevi 

9. Michael McLeod

10. Mikhail Sergachev

11. Logan Brown

12. Julien Gauthier

13. Max Jones

14. Tyson Jost

15. German Rubstov

Rest of the first round drops off. Some good later picks in McAvoy, Bean and Bastian.

3 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

he hasn't passed that information onto cdc yet...tkachuk would probably set our forwards up for years to come, but if all the d-men are available, he might by-pass the forward if he feels a d-man would solidify our back end....the good thing is, benning is a super talent scout....

personally. if one of the Fins are available. Benning has take them. they're considered a cut above all the rest in this draft. if they drop. that's a steal. i think if the Canucks are picking this high up. they need to always draft BPA. and then they can decide what to do with their asset down the road. second round or later first round is where I'd consider drafting by need. 

44 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Matthew Tkachuk.

Benning will take the best player available, and won't be drafting by position.

Agreed, he did it with Boeser when he could have taken a D. We could use a top LW prospect also.

2 minutes ago, Lockhart said:

I hope we don't pick 4, I want Dubois or Chychrun.

his winger is an undrafted player we could look to offer a deal to.

Maxim Lazarev

slender build but could be an addition to utica for a couple years

Archived