The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If we had the 4th overall pick.

Ichiban604

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd love to see the leafs pass on laine and Pulijarvi, just for the laffs.  That said, I don't see it happening.

I really hope the Laughs pick at two or three, just to see what they do.  

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Chychurn no doubt about it, we need a defenseman like that with his upside and ability, not another "bigger" player like Tkachuk. 

Youd take a guy who is project anywhere from 5 to 9 with the 4th pick because they need dmen?  As I said, I'm not positive he'll even be the top dmen picked.

1 hour ago, NEON.KNEE said:

If you are suggesting Hanifin I think you may have been sniffing glue all day.  Carolina keeps Hanifin until the team leaves town.

Now, why in H E - double hockey sticks would you think I meant Hanifin? Is that the only defenseman Carolina has..............try thinking comparable talent

3 hours ago, jdatb said:

Dubois is on fire. I could see him at #4. Chycrun, Juolevi, Sergachev could be picked anytime before Tkachuk if a team needs D-men. Then there's guys like McLeod and Nylander who could very well be chosen as riskier options. At the end of the day, I don't think a team will be unhappy with a Tkachuk pick, but I could definitely see him drop.

I think Tkatchuk is the safer pick though compared to McLeod and Dubios. 

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Now, why in H E - double hockey sticks would you think I meant Hanifin? Is that the only defenseman Carolina has..............try thinking comparable talent

Pesce?  Cause I don't see anyone worth taking...Fleury is almost as laughable as Hanifin....  You must mean Danny Biega right?

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Too many examples of top 5 D-men that didn't pan out.

If we're going best player available it's Tkachuk (assuming the Finns are taken)

I think we're better using our cap space on D-men and drafting elite forwards.

So do you think then that Tkachuk is an elite forward at the NHL level? I'm not so sure myself.

1 hour ago, NEON.KNEE said:

If you are suggesting Hanifin I think you may have been sniffing glue all day.  Carolina keeps Hanifin until the team leaves town.

Fluery is a nice player aswell.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Youd take a guy who is project anywhere from 5 to 9 with the 4th pick because they need dmen?  As I said, I'm not positive he'll even be the top dmen picked.

Well I have him at #3 myself as of now, he was a concencus #2 coming into the year, he was #5 on Bob McKenzie's latest list, #2 NA Skater, I don't consider 4 to be in anyway a reach for him, I think thats about where he should be in that 4-6 range. I would be suprised if he drops past 7 how it stands now although theres still plenty of time till the draft. 

Tkachuk or Chychrun. Still need either an elite center or left winger and an elite defenceman. We can have McCann and Horvat as our top 2 centers and increase their offensive output by putting them with high end offensive wingers. Defense could use a No.1 guy regardless of handedness.

Just now, NEON.KNEE said:

Pesce?  Cause I don't see anyone worth taking...Fleury is almost as laughable as Hanifin....  You must mean Danny Biega right?

There are many ways to structure a trade, and while many see McCann as a early first type value, I don't. That's not to say he doesn't have value or that we wouldn't get something good straight across..........and maybe he goes to Phili.????..........all I was referring to was that he could also bring a good defensive asset back from the right team........don't take things so literal......

I think Dubois should also get consideration if you are talking about taking a forward, he's got great size, great versatility and very very good skill. 

I thought he was better than Tkatchuk in the prospects game and he's been on an upwards trajectory for some time now. I think he's right in that same tier of guys like Thatchuk, Nylander and the 3 defenseman (although everyone's perception of that tier of players is certainly different) and he shouldn't be overlooked if we are looking at a forward. Some may consider #4 high for him but I think there are things about him that lead him to be preferable to Tkatchuk and I think that by the time the draft rolls around #4 won't be considered a reach for him.

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Tkatchuk is the safer pick though compared to McLeod and Dubios. 

I don't really think a "safe pick" is what we need right now however. And I dont necessarily agree, Dubois and McLeod are both very versatile players who can certainly play a good two-way game. Both also have size, speed and a level of grit. 

Although personally I don't think McLeod is as good a player as Dubois and Tkatchuk.

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So do you think then that Tkachuk is an elite forward at the NHL level? I'm not so sure myself.

He's putting up 2 points per game in the OHL while playing a complete game.

Compare that to what other elite young players in the NHL did at 17 and he's right there with them.

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

You take Chychrun because he is the best athlete. Size and speed matter!

i worry about Tkatchuk because he is a PF.  He has the skills. But not the size typical of a PF.  McLeod or Dubois might be better in that respect?  I also worry because I have met his dad.  Very aloof, about me not the team.  No surprise to me he never won a cup.  For the kids sake hopefully the Apple does fall a good distance from the tree.

12 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't really think a "safe pick" is what we need right now however. And I dont necessarily agree, Dubois and McLeod are both very versatile players who can certainly play a good two-way game. Both also have size, speed and a level of grit. 

Although personally I don't think McLeod is as good a player as Dubois and Tkatchuk.

I guess there's a time for a gamble. but Canuck fans have enough disappointment. I don't want another "bust" of a player. sigh. but I trust Benning when it comes to scouting and drafting. trading is another part of his duties that I'm not as confident in. Tkatchuk will be a very good player. probably not Matthews level, or even Laine or Puljujärvi level. but he's still gonna be a very good player. with that being said. I want one of the top three. fingers crossed that we can get one of those elite level talent. 

26 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

Tkachuk or Chychrun. Still need either an elite center or left winger and an elite defenceman. We can have McCann and Horvat as our top 2 centers and increase their offensive output by putting them with high end offensive wingers. Defense could use a No.1 guy regardless of handedness.

i agree with that actually... we need some good wingers via free agency.

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I guess there's a time for a gamble. but Canuck fans have enough disappointment. I don't want another "bust" of a player. sigh. but I trust Benning when it comes to scouting and drafting. trading is another part of his duties that I'm not as confident in. Tkatchuk will be a very good player. probably not Matthews level, or even Laine or Puljujärvi level. but he's still gonna be a very good player. with that being said. I want one of the top three. fingers crossed that we can get one of those elite level talent. 

no worry, virtanen is coming on and blossoming. benning has done a decent job so far... the proof will be down the road with development of the players..

17 minutes ago, SedinMadness said:

no worry, virtanen is coming on and blossoming. benning has done a decent job so far... the proof will be down the road with development of the players..

I agree that it will be that. if anything Benning has drafted players and introduced them onto the team more so than most GM's of the Canucks in prior years. certainly not during the Gillis era. 

Archived