The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If we had the 4th overall pick.

Ichiban604

23 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Both Alex and Matthew have something in common which is family lineage.

Both are good prospects but Tkachuk looks like the type of player you can win with in the post season and that can bring a presence that can make a difference in a playoff series.

For Vancouver, I think it's more of trying to change the culture........too many nylander type players have been the persona of the team for too long.  Skill plus size for the foreseeable future please! If the Canucks pick 5 or 6, a trade down might be good if they know a team really wants AN.

knowing the way Benning operates, which is like a lost GM, he would trade the 4th for 2nd rounders and tell us how he eyed a prospect in the 2nd round who will be the next Datysuk. 

If we get 4th, well we won't since Hammer and Vrbata will be playing like men possessed to earn a new contract with any team in the future. $$$$ talks. but if they did and Benning trades it away, I hope they fire him on the spot. You should never trade a 4th pick the top 5 is were the studs are. 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I'd see what teams would offer to trade down and then draft one of Chychrun, Juolevi, or Sergachev.

The difference between high picks / the 4th and lower picks in the first round can be significantly overvalued imo at times / in situations - depending on a team's valuation of a player they're bent upon / their will to trade up - so I'd have to agree with you that the possibility of dealing a high pick to trade down is worth entertaining as a possibility, particularly imo in the range you're talking about.   I like Tkachuk and am old enough to remember (fondly) the Selanne, Tkachuk, Zhamnov line - wow - ruined by one of the worst trades in NHL history - but if you can add another 1st/player in a deal by trading down from the 4th, but remaining firmly in the top 10, imo you have to look at it.    I'm not sure I'd trade down from higher, probably not - 1st or 2nd I'd keep (I'd probably take Puljujarvi if it's today)... but if you remain in a range to get one of the D this team is likely to target and add another pick or picks, I think I might lean towards getting taking your top D in the draft and adding another premier asset.

18 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

knowing the way Benning operates, which is like a lost GM, he would trade the 4th for 2nd rounders and tell us how he eyed a prospect in the 2nd round who will be the next Datysuk. 

If we get 4th, well we won't since Hammer and Vrbata will be playing like men possessed to earn a new contract with any team in the future. $$$$ talks. but if they did and Benning trades it away, I hope they fire him on the spot. You should never trade a 4th pick the top 5 is were the studs are. 

Yawn. Your Benning is a dummy schtick has jumped the shark.

1 minute ago, TheOgRook said:

I could name more but I'll just name the steal

name sounds like bear cheese. I'll let you figure the rest out :) 

yeah but he traded away Hunter Shinkurak who by the way has seemed to get going, got two points last game for a Utility player like Granlund. so although that move is good, his dumb move with Shinkurak cancels it out.

We need depth in every position. Our forward depth is okay, but when the vets get traded, waived, or retire, we will need to fill those roles. (Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkatchuk, Dubois) We have a glaring need for defense considering Edler is not the same 2011 Edler and Hamhuis is no longer Olympic calibre. (Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergachev, Bean)

Drafting Matthews would definitely improve our chances of becoming a contender sooner than later. But Chychrun could be that piece that we need to bring our defense back on track with a dynamic PMD, something we haven't had (aside from Hutton).

Baertschi-Matthews-Boeser

Tryamkin-Chychrun

Hutton-Tanev

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

As for McCann, he would become expendable, which could be offered to say Carolina for a young Dman............it could really shape our future.........

I just don't know if Benning is the man to be in charge of those types of transactions? He doesn't instill confidence in his moving of assets.

If you are suggesting Hanifin I think you may have been sniffing glue all day.  Carolina keeps Hanifin until the team leaves town.

1 hour ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

yeah but he traded away Hunter Shinkurak who by the way has seemed to get going, got two points last game for a Utility player like Granlund. so although that move is good, his dumb move with Shinkurak cancels it out.

"Name one good trade"

*names a good trade*

"Yeah but he also made this trade so it doesn't count"

Just go home Desi. If he traded for BoSang I bet you'd say JB is a god among men.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

no chance in hell is anyone taking Tkachuk before Laine, Pulijarvi or Mathews.........if a GM did that, they should be fired on the spot

I agree that no GM would take Tkatchuk ahead of Matthews.  If the Leafs pick second I wouldn't be shocked if they go with Tkatchuk.  The Oilers too.

I think it is better to build around a defenseman or centre than a winger. 

Don't get my wrong. If we are picking 2nd or 3rd it will be one of the Finns. 

But at 4th, I would go Chyrchrun or Dubois over Tkachuk or Nylander. I am really hoping for a defenseman regardless. 

59 minutes ago, Green Goblin said:

We need depth in every position. Our forward depth is okay, but when the vets get traded, waived, or retire, we will need to fill those roles. (Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkatchuk, Dubois) We have a glaring need for defense considering Edler is not the same 2011 Edler and Hamhuis is no longer Olympic calibre. (Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergachev, Bean)

Drafting Matthews would definitely improve our chances of becoming a contender sooner than later. But Chychrun could be that piece that we need to bring our defense back on track with a dynamic PMD, something we haven't had (aside from Hutton).

Baertschi-Matthews-Boeser

Tryamkin-Chychrun

Hutton-Tanev

Wait ... how are we getting both Matthews and Chychrun?

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree that no GM would take Tkatchuk ahead of Matthews.  If the Leafs pick second I wouldn't be shocked if they go with Tkatchuk.  The Oilers too.

I would be............fully and completely.  The top 3 projected picks are on another level, imo.

1 minute ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Wait ... how are we getting both Matthews and Chychrun?

That's not what I was implying. I just meant that either one of those two could put our team back on the map.

But if anyone can figure out how to get those two at the same time, it's JB!

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The Leafs took Marner last draft.  It's the London Knights connection?  

I'd love to see the leafs pass on laine and Pulijarvi, just for the laffs.  That said, I don't see it happening.

Archived