The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 1 - Avs 3 - March 16th

Toni Zamboni

Man Bearschi is lookin good these days. 

Great hand eye, nifty in tight passes, protecting the puck. If only he could learn how to use his deadly wrister in tight spaces, remember Kesler working on the same thing then got 41 goals. 

When he hits prime he should be hitting 40-50 points easy

19 minutes ago, riffraff said:

So he dropped off in one season?

more like he was a benefactor of the sedins last year. It's a combination of slowing down and confidence similar to how higgins dropped from 36 points last season to 3 this season. Essentially he slowed down, couldn't produced which made him lose his confidence and prolonged loss of confidence made hockey unfun which made his play suffer even more.

It's kindof hard to have an extra jump even if you try your hardest if you aren't enjoying what your doing

Unlike higgins, vrbata can still put up close to 30-40 points a season not worth 5 mill but still respectable

21 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

They're young, and they're gong to make mistakes. They need to learn from that. They learn by playing more, not less. 

We're trying to develop them and the season is meaningless at this point .They should be out there making mistakes now instead of later. 

No they don't, they learn from being made accountable. 

Your way leads to players like Kassian, who just ignored what he was told, made the same mistakes time after time and finally pi--ed everyone off.

You can bet your ass these youngsters learned their lesson and fast because they ache to play and they know they are coached by a guy who means what he says. They know where they stand and that is a discipline that helps youngsters whether it is on an ice arena or at home.

The season is meaningless?

That shows how much you know. The remainder of the season is when they are playing teams getting into playoff mode. They are honing their game and gaining chemistry, that will stand them in good stead next year. Every game is a gold nugget for these guys and you can bet there is not one of them wants the season to finish.

Out there making mistakes is just a BS cliche.

It's like saying each player has 20/40/60 mistakes to make so they better get on a make them so they don't happen again. They are there to learn how NOT to make mistakes and the few they do make need to be recognised and learned from. Sitting them shows them the mistake was noticed and it was important enough to be highlighted and they need to imprint them to memory. This was a real game they were playing in where their mistakes affect the rest of the team, possibly the outcome and possibly a coach's career, not a practice.

52 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

No they don't, they learn from being made accountable. 

Your way leads to players like Kassian, who just ignored what he was told, made the same mistakes time after time and finally pi--ed everyone off.

You can bet your ass these youngsters learned their lesson and fast because they ache to play and they know they are coached by a guy who means what he says. They know where they stand and that is a discipline that helps youngsters whether it is on an ice arena or at home.

The season is meaningless?

That shows how much you know. The remainder of the season is when they are playing teams getting into playoff mode. They are honing their game and gaining chemistry, that will stand them in good stead next year. Every game is a gold nugget for these guys and you can bet there is not one of them wants the season to finish.

Out there making mistakes is just a BS cliche.

It's like saying each player has 20/40/60 mistakes to make so they better get on a make them so they don't happen again. They are there to learn how NOT to make mistakes and the few they do make need to be recognised and learned from. Sitting them shows them the mistake was noticed and it was important enough to be highlighted and they need to imprint them to memory. This was a real game they were playing in where their mistakes affect the rest of the team, possibly the outcome and possibly a coach's career, not a practice.

Unfortunately holding young players accountable by benching them every chance you get means nothing when the vets can make the same mistakes for the whole season or play lazy and disinterested and never lose a shift.

The only thing WD is teaching these kids is to fear ever making a mistake. And you get bottom 6 safe play tweeners that way. Creativity and the ability to take chances should not be punished UNLESS the same mistake is made continuously. Learning from mistakes is how young players learn. 

My hope is we can finally be mathematically eliminated so Desjardins stops pretending we have a chance. Then I hope we see Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen and McCann-Vey-Etem getting tons of ice time and opportunity in offensive roles and Tryamkin, Pedan, Hutton leading the D core with some important minutes.

Enough sheltering. Let the kids play and make the mistakes now so they can learn for next year.

20 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Unfortunately holding young players accountable by benching them every chance you get means nothing when the vets can make the same mistakes for the whole season or play lazy and disinterested and never lose a shift.

The only thing WD is teaching these kids is to fear ever making a mistake. And you get bottom 6 safe play tweeners that way. Creativity and the ability to take chances should not be punished UNLESS the same mistake is made continuously. Learning from mistakes is how young players learn. 

My hope is we can finally be mathematically eliminated so Desjardins stops pretending we have a chance. Then I hope we see Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen and McCann-Vey-Etem getting tons of ice time and opportunity in offensive roles and Tryamkin, Pedan, Hutton leading the D core with some important minutes.

Enough sheltering. Let the kids play and make the mistakes now so they can learn for next year.

Why did you add "every chance you get"?

No one said anything about "every chance you get" 

"Sitting them shows them the mistake was noticed and it was important enough to be highlighted"

Does that remotely look like every chance you get?

I stopped reading after that as it seems you are just out for another pointless argument.

21 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Why did you add "every chance you get"?

No one said anything about "every chance you get" 

"Sitting them shows them the mistake was noticed and it was important enough to be highlighted"

Does that remotely look like every chance you get?

I stopped reading after that as it seems you are just out for another pointless argument.

When it happens pretty much every game and sometimes a few times in a game and only to certain players it is quite obvious he is looking for it. If he applied that spproach to everyone I would be cool with it. He doesn't though.

It looks to me like with the players like Virtanen and McCann Desjardins treats their mistakes as isolated incidents. With Vey, Etem, etc a mistake (see Vey on one of the goals bs Col) are minimized if they have played even reasonably well. With vets they never get held accountable for the most part.

The double standard is what I dislike about Desjardins. Apply it to all and maybe this team will actually learn from their mistakes.

27 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

When it happens pretty much every game and sometimes a few times in a game and only to certain players it is quite obvious he is looking for it. If he applied that spproach to everyone I would be cool with it. He doesn't though.

It looks to me like with the players like Virtanen and McCann Desjardins treats their mistakes as isolated incidents. With Vey, Etem, etc a mistake (see Vey on one of the goals bs Col) are minimized if they have played even reasonably well. With vets they never get held accountable for the most part.

The double standard is what I dislike about Desjardins. Apply it to all and maybe this team will actually learn from their mistakes.

You seem to be missing the main point. These players are NOT all the same so it would be counter productive to treat them as such.

It is obvious to most of us that Vey and Etem are more "mature"/experienced players than McCann and Virtanen they are likely to know not only when but why they made a mistake and take note.  Let's face it these two players are probably twice or three times more involved in the game than Jared and Jake.

Having said that Etem has been dropped and so has Vey in the past. It is a myth about Willie having favourites that is spread by people like you who base it on the cock-eyed coaching ideas you seem to favour in your post above. All these rookies have made great strides  when you compare them to players who first put on the jersey.

The same applies but even moreso to the vets. I have seen Henrik and Danny make some horrible mistakes (giveaways in front of their own goalie) are you seriously saying that benching Henrik is the mark of a good coach and likely to make him infallible? Get serious.

Rookies have to learn to earn the right to have their worst mistakes put down to fallibility. Till then they have to be taught accountability. It seems to be working just fine as far as I'm concerned. I realise how unhappy that makes you as you wage your constant libel campaign against WD but look on the bright side Willie's an old man and he won't go on coaching forever. Hang in there.

Archived