The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Post Game Comment: "Daniel Sedin: "From some guys right now, the effort is not there."

b3.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've noticed this season that the Sedins have at times lost their cool. Whether it's engaging in scrums after the whistle or making an un-Sedin-like body check, taking bad penalties, even a glove to an opponent's head, and now venting in the media about certain team mates. Is this the beginning of the end of the Sedins in Vancouver? Seems to me they're very frustrated with the new team, and are in denial about what direction the team is heading. To me, Burrows has handled things excellently. He knows his career is winding down, and that the team is in transition. All he wants is to be remembered as a good team guy and to maybe help mentor the kids as they learn and grow. The Sedins just look miserable. I love the Sedins and believe they are a phenomenon, we're so lucky to have witnessed greatness night after night with them, but they're kind of acting like grumpy old men these days.

Burrows best/worst year is this one.  Probably his last full year.  You are right: he has called no one out, been good to the young guys, and really does appear to be trying his best.   More respect for him than ever.  

Re: Sedins: yes, they are not themselves: face washing, needless penalties, scrums after the whistle.  I think they are either in denial, or mgt chose to deny telling them where things were capable of going.  At the start of the year the twins were like kids again: excited that Hutton would be providing offense and creativity, and saying nice things about Sutter.  But both they -- along with a lot of the fans, myself included -- missed the obvious: the team was probably getting a lot worse a lot faster than the other teams around them, for no other reason than the fact key ppl on the team were aging (Hamhuis, Edler, Higgins, and themselves).  Higgins, Burrows, Edler, Hamhuis (before face injury) and to some extent the twins themselves are ghosts of the players they used to be -- and all of this accelerated in a bad way through the course of the year.   Throw in the fiasco of matching ankle injuries (career killers) for Prust and Higgins and you have something bordering on the tragic.  

The only explanation I have for both the twins' out-of-character behaviour and the most recent comments is that they did not see this level of team success as a realistic possibility.  This is what a rebuild looks like!  If only we had all been a bit more honest about this probability.  But, last year was the last Hurrah for this team as we knew it.  We just didn't see it, until this year.

19 hours ago, vancouverdepression said:

Winners of what?

8 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Ah let me see, Daniel won the Art Ross one year while his brother won another year (Henrik also won the Hart). The Sedina helped take this team to the finals, donated one and a half mill to Children's Hosp with his brother and give everything they have to this team. 

Shame on you

The art Ross and and several other individual awards as well. Not to mention an Olympic gold, but that's whatever right?

14 hours ago, spook007 said:

Hockey games... And actually more than the shirts hanging from the rafters at Rodgers Arena...

Pathetic to jump on the Sedins for speaking up. Maybe they should just keep quiet, coast around on the ice waiting for their contract to expire, and let the club sink into an Oilers meltdown...  

Its so rare a Sedin speaks negatively, so obviously there is somethings going on, which they wants addressed. 

Great way to treat two of the greatest players in franchise history... 

Soft players with a crappy playoff record.  You dont win a stanley cup in the regular season.

4 minutes ago, vancouverdepression said:

Great they won all that, wheres the cup? All means crap without a ring.

Where's Ovi's cup? Arguably the best goal scorer of all time, can throw hits with the best of them, but hasn't won anything in the playoffs.

Takes a team to win genius. If we didn't have all those injuries and had fair reffing we would have won the cup in 2011.

2 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Where's Ovi's cup? Arguably the best goal scorer of all time, can throw hits with the best of them, but hasn't won anything in the playoffs.

Takes a team to win genius. If we didn't have all those injuries and had fair reffing we would have won the cup in 2011.

Like with the  CURRENT TEAM injuries have certainly been a problem for sure, especially to Sutter.  

6 minutes ago, vancouverdepression said:

Soft players with a crappy playoff record.  You dont win a stanley cup in the regular season.

Stupid comments.

Henrik, since 2008/9, has 58 points in 62 playoff games.

Daniel in that span has 53 points in 59 playoff games.

Near ppg players when most player's production drops in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Like with the  CURRENT TEAM injuries have certainly been a problem for sure, especially to Sutter.  

IMO it's the best thing that could have happened. We need the high draft picks right now.

Making the playoffs and losing in the first round would just be like treading water. I just really hope Benning can pick up another pick or 2 at the draft.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Stupid Ridiculously ignorant comments.

Henrik, since 2008/9, has 58 points in 62 playoff games.

Daniel in that span has 53 points in 59 playoff games.

Near ppg players when most player's production drops in the playoffs.

FIFY

If the best player on our team cannot call out his team mates WTF is he good for then. This board needs a lobotomy

Just now, Erik Karlsson said:

IMO it's the best thing that could have happened. We need the high draft picks right now.

Making the playoffs and losing in the first round would just be like treading water. I just really hope Benning can pick up another pick or 2 at the draft.

Yup, I hope he can get us another top 10 pick so we get two nice pieces.  Does he accomplish the extra pick by trading down, moving Tanev-Hansen-Edler, or some combination?

I dont think they mean those "guys". I think its 1 individual, and his name is Vrbata. He has been a ghost this year. Yes I know he was signed to play with the Sedins, and he was. Idk what happened after his strong season last year. He disappeared completely heading into the playoffs and he has still yet to get back to form.

I know hes been juggled around the lineup a bit and never had time to find chemistry with anyone and thats fine, completely understandavle why his production is down. However his production is only a tiny portion of his problem. His problem is he has been a sulk over not playing with the Sedins, and has no effort what so after 90% of the time. He is a great top 6 forward when he is trying, and the Sedins no this. My guess is a year of this has been very frustrating for hank and dank to watch. They want to win and when you have a whiner like Vrbata on your team doing absolutely sweet *$@\ all you tend to get ticked off. Good for them to call him out. Maybe thats what lead to his early end as a canuck (shutdown for the season). Its about time!

I seen a poster saying the Sedins are acting like "grumpy old men". Are you crazy? We have always questioned wether or not they are true leaders because they are too nice, and now that they start speaking up and fighting back they are "grumpy old men"? No not true at all! We are rebuilding and we have a ton of youth in the lineup, and they need to know the leaders wont accept a half ass effort out there. The Sedins need to show they have expectations from them young guys and that is to give it your all every single game. You dont have to score goals, just play to the BEST of your ability. We are not the Oilers and wont let players like Vrbata teach are young guys to sulk and whine when things dont go their way. 

IM LOVING THE SEDINS THIS YEAR!!! 

Daniel doubled-down on his comments today.  I just watched the most recent interview on TV.  I take from this the belief that it is the youngest Canucks who are the problem?  I admit that Virt back-checked a bit slowly and didn't pursue the puck as well as he has -- and Hutton is pooped, you can see it -- but Horvat was good and Baertschi and the new player Tryamkin looked pretty good.  Grenier didn't look too bad, but I'm not sure he's Sedin line material.  So was this aimed at just Virtanen, McCann and Gaunce? Or just Virt and McCann?  (Does Daniel forget the number of times we've seen him return at 1/4 speed on line changes?)

2 hours ago, Erik Karlsson said:

If we didnt have woosies like the Sedins we would have won it duh

Pretty sure he's talking about management and the trade deadline still.

or maybe the coaching.keep the revolving door of linemates coming instead of just putting burrows back up there since they play well together for years and years. 

Archived