The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

9 Thoughts

Bur14Kes17

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

Good because i think we are going to need it tonight....and the rest of the year! might need a few more bottles

I am stocking up for a couple of years. I am in it until the end. No matter how much I must drink!

I think the whole "If we weren't injured" thing is a huge cop out...

every team has to deal with injuries and to expect us to be the only one that doesn't is silly. If we don't have the depth to survive a few injuries then we don't deserve the playoffs anyways.

8 minutes ago, Dral said:

I think the whole "If we weren't injured" thing is a huge cop out...

every team has to deal with injuries and to expect us to be the only one that doesn't is silly. If we don't have the depth to survive a few injuries then we don't deserve the playoffs anyways.

So if the Hawks lost Toews, Kane Seabrook and Keith for most of the year. Would they make the playoffs?

Bartkowski wont be resigned neither will weber. I am skeptic they will re-sign hammer, although it would be a mistake if they did not.

From my perspective I see our D-Core looking like this next year.

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Tyramkin

Sbisa-Larsen

Pedan/Biega

*Could see us signing a guy like Jason Demers in free agency.

9 minutes ago, Dral said:

Did we lose both Sedins, Hammer and Edler for most of the year?

Pretty close, Henrik has been playing hurt almost all year. Hamhuis's jaw was shattered. Elder broke his leg. Sutter has been out all year. Others Vets such as prust and higgins got hurt and are now useless. Not to mention all the other injuries we have had.

5 minutes ago, Dral said:

Did we lose both Sedins, Hammer and Edler for most of the year?

We have lost Sutter and Hammer for a large part of the year. The Sedins are both hurting and we have been missing Sbisa and Tanev for some time. Vrbata a 60 point guy has been struggling with an injury and is now shut down. most of our injuries have been to vets.

No we don't deserve to make the playoffs and it is for the best. 

8 minutes ago, Threadsetter1 said:

Bartkowski wont be resigned neither will weber. I am skeptic they will re-sign hammer, although it would be a mistake if they did not.

From my perspective I see our D-Core looking like this next year.

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Tyramkin

Sbisa-Larsen

Pedan/Biega

*Could see us signing a guy like Jason Demers in free agency.

Trade Edler and sign hamhuis cheap

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Trade Edler and sign hamhuis cheap

I think thats a good idea, however it doesn't help our back end get any younger as of right now. If the package is right for Edler though and we can get a first or trade edler + for a right handed young d man then it would be worth it.

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Pretty close, Henrik has been playing hurt almost all year. Hamhuis's jaw was shattered. Elder broke his leg. Sutter has been out all year. Others Vets such as prust and higgins got hurt and are now useless. Not to mention all the other injuries we have had.

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

We have lost Sutter and Hammer for a large part of the year. The Sedins are both hurting and we have been missing Sbisa and Tanev for some time. Vrbata a 60 point guy has been struggling with an injury and is now shut down. most of our injuries have been to vets.

No we don't deserve to make the playoffs and it is for the best. 

I know you don't mean it, but it honestly sounds like you're whining.

We should not be as low as we are simply because of injuries, other teams have it a lot worse and are doing a lot better then we are.

here's an interesting site on tracking team injuries:

https://www.mangameslost.com/nhl-man-games-lost-march-19-2016/

3 hours ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

It's been a long time since I've posted on here, but i haven't missed watching a game the past two years, so give me some credit. 

This is not a new dark era for the Canucks. This is not a team that has plummeted to the bottom of the standings based simply on poor play.

However, this is no where close to being a Jim Benning 100 pt playoff team. 

Here are 9 Thoughts:

1. If healthy, this team would have made playoffs. The Sedins with Hansen, Horvat being in a 3rd line role where he could continue to shine and dominate, Sutter eating up a ton of 2nd line minutes, and very solid goaltending would have compensated for the pizza service provided by Sbisa and Bart. 

2. Injuries are the best thing that could have ever happened to this organization. This is an organization where the owner demands playoffs because he spends to the cap and deserves payout some playoff time. Linden and Benning have been pressured to "retool on the fly." That's BS. You can't do that and be competitive without Scotty Bownman GM or have Detroit Red Wing scouts. Injuries dropping the floor out from this team was the best thing that could have happened.

3. The Canucks will pick in the top 3. Looking ahead at the schedule, I see 2 wins and an OT loss ahead. Personally, Matthews would be fantastic, but I'm almost as happy to have one of the two Fins. When the Sedins are gone, the club needs an "Elite" scorer. We don't have that, we need that, you can't sign that, you have to draft that. Injuries are the best thing that could have happened. 

4. The Canucks will have a big bounce back season next year. I do not subscribe to the theory that these are the next Messier Dark Ages. So long as we have the Sedins, they will not let that happen. They're drive is too high. This club will not re sign Vrbata or Hamhuis but will get a scoring winger. But If Benning has any sense, he will first offer Stamkos 10 Mil over 10 years. With a healthy line up next year this will be a playoff team with a second line Centered by Sutter with a Finnish draft pick and probably Lucic. 

5. Jared McCann will be in Utica. He needs to get stronger and learn to play against men. He had the will and the skill but not the strength yet. He will be back and he will be good.

6. Jake will stay with the the Canucks. I was in the camp of sending him back to Jr after the worlds. I was wrong. I'm glad I was wrong. Horvat and Jake will shine next year in roles better suited to them. 

7. Tryamkin is a gift of the hockey gods. I never thought he was Bure or Chara. He is Tryamkin. He gets more comfortable every game. He will get more involved as he gets more comfortable, but at this point, it's obvious he doesn't panic, he has hockey IQ, and good lord what a long reach. How many 2 on 1s is this guy going to break up? 

8. Hutton will continue to impress and will be a #2 defensemen for this team one day. He is that good. The guy is running on absolute fumes right now and is still currently our 2nd best defensemen behind Hamhuis. The off season will do him an absolute world of good and I see him and Tryamkin performing admirably together next year as our 2nd pair. Sbisa and that KHL guy (forget his name) will be our 3rd pair will Biega and Pedan rotating in. 

9. Willie will be back on a short leash. If the team does not get off to a good start within 15 games, he's gone because we can't have a losing culture around the kids. If he is still available, Marc Crawford will replace him. Marc follows this team like its his second home. 

NICELY put. like it

3 minutes ago, Dral said:

We should not be as low as we are simply because of injuries, other teams have it a lot worse and are doing a lot better then we are.

No whining here. This is exactly the type of year I expected and wanted. We will be in a rebuild for a few years. This is a good draft year so I couldn't be happier. It is not just  the volume of injuries that hurts teams but injuries to key players. Hank has been hurting for some time and Sutter has missed most of the year. Not many teams can survive missing their top two centers. Break it down and look at key players.

Even Benning has made it clear that we do not have the depth to deal with our injuries. You can't win with 5 to 7 rookies in the lineup.

1 hour ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

you nailed it Lucas Sbisa and Bartwoksi would cost this team the cup. I don't get what ppl don't get about Sbisa, you cannot win with a guy like he is a give-away king at the worst time ever. In a tight game i would think twice before having you rely on Lucas Sbisa, so lets hope the big Russian works out so Benning can move Sbisa to a team that might want him.

Just sign BoSang! 

1 hour ago, Dral said:

And here's an interesting quote from the site you've linked to...

Edmonton (1st) and the Vancouver Canucks (2nd) face the greatest cumulative impact of injured forwards or defensemen by the IIT-skater metric.

And a question for you. If losing a number of highly skilled players to injury shouldn't effect a team's performance that much, why sign them in the first place? Why not just sign more lower skilled players so that you always have replacements for those who do go down?

3 hours ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

It's been a long time since I've posted on here, but i haven't missed watching a game the past two years, so give me some credit. 

This is not a new dark era for the Canucks. This is not a team that has plummeted to the bottom of the standings based simply on poor play.

Here are 9 Thoughts:

1. If healthy, this team would have made playoffs. The Sedins with Hansen, Horvat being in a 3rd line role where he could continue to shine and dominate, Sutter eating up a ton of 2nd line minutes, and very solid goaltending would have compensated for the pizza service provided by Sbisa and Bart. 

2. Injuries are the best thing that could have ever happened to this organization. This is an organization where the owner demands playoffs because he spends to the cap and deserves payout some playoff time. Linden and Benning have been pressured to "retool on the fly." That's BS. You can't do that and be competitive without Scotty Bownman GM or have Detroit Red Wing scouts. Injuries dropping the floor out from this team was the best thing that could have happened.

3. The Canucks will pick in the top 3. Looking ahead at the schedule, I see 2 wins and an OT loss ahead. Personally, Matthews would be fantastic, but I'm almost as happy to have one of the two Fins. When the Sedins are gone, the club needs an "Elite" scorer. We don't have that, we need that, you can't sign that, you have to draft that. Injuries are the best thing that could have happened. 

4. The Canucks will have a big bounce back season next year. I do not subscribe to the theory that these are the next Messier Dark Ages. So long as we have the Sedins, they will not let that happen. They're drive is too high. This club will not re sign Vrbata or Hamhuis but will get a scoring winger. But If Benning has any sense, he will first offer Stamkos 10 Mil over 10 years. With a healthy line up next year this will be a playoff team with a second line Centered by Sutter with a Finnish draft pick and probably Lucic. 

5. Jared McCann will be in Utica. He needs to get stronger and learn to play against men. He had the will and the skill but not the strength yet. He will be back and he will be good.

6. Jake will stay with the the Canucks. I was in the camp of sending him back to Jr after the worlds. I was wrong. I'm glad I was wrong. Horvat and Jake will shine next year in roles better suited to them. 

7. Tryamkin is a gift of the hockey gods. I never thought he was Bure or Chara. He is Tryamkin. He gets more comfortable every game. He will get more involved as he gets more comfortable, but at this point, it's obvious he doesn't panic, he has hockey IQ, and good lord what a long reach. How many 2 on 1s is this guy going to break up? 

8. Hutton will continue to impress and will be a #2 defensemen for this team one day. He is that good. The guy is running on absolute fumes right now and is still currently our 2nd best defensemen behind Hamhuis. The off season will do him an absolute world of good and I see him and Tryamkin performing admirably together next year as our 2nd pair. Sbisa and that KHL guy (forget his name) will be our 3rd pair will Biega and Pedan rotating in. 

9. Willie will be back on a short leash. If the team does not get off to a good start within 15 games, he's gone because we can't have a losing culture around the kids. If he is still available, Marc Crawford will replace him. Marc follows this team like its his second home. 

1. Agreed, Injuries killed the Canucks this year, Bart needs to go, we still need Sbisa's physicality

2. You play the hand you're dealt. The bright side of life is our draft position this year

3. We can finish last and pick 4th overall in the new lottery system. don't count your chickens

4. Agree we will bounce back, how far will definitely depend on free agent signings

5. What is this, a McCann "just a kid" powerade commercial ?

6. Jake starts with the big club next year but I think on a short leash- he needs to show more "buy-in"

7. Tree is a beauty, amazing find for Benning

8. Fully agree, Hutton is another beauty

9. Willie stay or Willie go ? He gets one more full season at least imo. Can't see Crawford coaching in Vancouver again after the Bertuzzi court case.

4 hours ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

Here are 9 Thoughts:

87 posts with 300+ reputation? I wish you posted more often. +100

I hate to do it but I have a different opinion on these bolded parts. For me Hamhuis will be back, atleast for 1 more year to help ease Tryamkin in. Plus we need to get something for him as a rental wether its next years tdl or the next... Lol

Stamkos at 10M? I wouldnt pay that, to me if your not great in all aspects of the game you are not worth that price. Plus Bo and other young guys will need contracts soon. Also Stamkos will get around what Kopitar got. I see him getting 11-12M 8 year contract.

I think WD stays for atleast one more year. If he gets only 5 wins in the first 15 games then maybe he will be fired, other than an unrealistic bad start I cant see us firing him. However it is more likely now that Torts is off the payroll. 

If we get Matthews there is a VERY strong chance Crawford comes back. So you never know.

Once again, great thread OP!!!!

Hope to read more from you in the future!

Archived