The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bring Back The North Stars petition

8 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

I would rather not help out Minnesota, they ruined the West Coast Era with their boring play and ugly jerseys

Thanks for posting though!

Did the canucks try to ingest those jerseys?  That would explain the choking.

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Worst?  OK, it's not great, but how about the Utah Jazz?  Or the Phillies, Browns or Pelicans?  I would list those ones ahead of the Wild on the bad team name list.

Still, as for changing the Wild back to the North Stars, I'm all for it.  However... didn't Minnesota themselves drop the 'North' a few years before moving to Dallas?

I generally hate all of the "non plural" names. (Wild, Lightning, Jazz, Avalanche....) but the Jazz is especially bad. The franchise was originally in New Orleans, where the name "Jazz" made perfect sense. But in Utah?

I guess "The Utah Polygamists" didn't cut it.

The Lakers is another. Made sense in Minnesota, but not so much in the generally "lakeless" LA area...

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Think the Coyotes have the worst name. 

There's a bit of history behind that name. For several years minor league teams in Phoenix were known as The Roadrunners. The Roadrunners have been part of several leagues over the years, including the WHL, IHL, ECHL, PHL, CHL and the WHA.

When Phoenix got the Jets in '96, the Roadrunners were still an active franchise in the International league, so the logical choice (with a nod to the Warner Brothers cartoon franchise) was The Coyotes. Personally, I kind of like the name. It can be shortened to 'Yotes and the alternate nickname "The Desert Dogs" is pretty cool too.

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I generally hate all of the "non plural" names. (Wild, Lightning, Jazz, Avalanche....) but the Jazz is especially bad. The franchise was originally in New Orleans, where the name "Jazz" made perfect sense. But in Utah?

I guess "The Utah Polygamists" didn't cut it.

The Lakers is another. Made sense in Minnesota, but not so much in the generally "lakeless" LA area...

There's a bit of history behind that name. For several years minor league teams in Phoenix were known as The Roadrunners. The Roadrunners have been part of several leagues over the years, including the WHL, IHL, ECHL, PHL, CHL and the WHA.

When Phoenix got the Jets in '96, the Roadrunners were still an active franchise in the International league, so the logical choice (with a nod to the Warner Brothers cartoon franchise) was The Coyotes. Personally, I kind of like the name. It can be shortened to 'Yotes and the alternate nickname "The Desert Dogs" is pretty cool too.

Polygamist......lol

10 hours ago, Green Building said:

Yeah, they can petition as much as they want, but if Norman still holds the rights to North Stars, and why wouldn't he, then this is dead in the water. 

I like the idea for Minny fans, but why would Norman care? What do copyright lawyers suggest it might cost to buy the name back?

I'm pretty sure it's the league, and not the franchises, that own the logos.  Phoenix didn't have to sign-off on Winnipeg being called the Jets.

2 hours ago, hatedkid666 said:

Bring back the California Seals

Only if its the Oakland Seals original jerseys. 

Fun fact the Seals struggled in the Bay area from the get go. Labbat's (Main competitor of Molson at the time) wanted to buy the team in 1968 and move them to Vancouver as the Coliseum was to open in January 1968.  So had the league let them buy the team we would have had a club from Autumn 1968. The Vancouver Seals? Vancouver Sea Lions?

IMHO this looks way better than the downhill skate.

1967-68SealsTeamPhoto.jpg

11 hours ago, Green Building said:

Yeah, they can petition as much as they want, but if Norman still holds the rights to North Stars, and why wouldn't he, then this is dead in the water. 

I like the idea for Minny fans, but why would Norman care? What do copyright lawyers suggest it might cost to buy the name back?

Norman Green(biting my typing tongue here) has nothing to do with the Stars or the NHL today. The NHL holds all team name and trademark rights. Last Friday, former North Stars player and general manager Lou Nanne was on a Twin Cities local sports radio station and he called the idea of reviving the North Stars name a "No Brainer". It's up to the fans and he's all for bringing it back. 

4 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Worst?  OK, it's not great, but how about the Utah Jazz?  Or the Phillies, Browns or Pelicans?  I would list those ones ahead of the Wild on the bad team name list.

I think that's actually a great name

8 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

i hated the North Stars after this game...

Sorry, but I loved the North Stars after this game. I HATED the Habs and their taunting fans here in Vancouver. 

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Clearly the San Jose Sharks have to change to the California Golden Seals!

seals_whiteskates.jpg

Apples and oranges here....

Golden Seals: Horrible team on the ice and hardly any support. Lasted only 9 seasons. Even the Grizzlies had far more support in Vancouver. Only known for their infamous white skates.

North Stars: Had their ups and downs but still had more modest success than the pre-Bure era Canucks. Lasted 26 seasons. Excellent fan support for the most part. Had NHL legends like Bill Goldsworthy, Bobby Smith, Neal Broten and Craig Hartsburg. Great name, crest and colour scheme. 

Sharks: Like the North Stars, great name, crest and colour scheme(originals were the best, though). The name "Sharks" was also used by LA's old WHA team. 

Wild: HORRIBLE name. Horrible use of red and forest green when the Devils perfected them in the 80's. The Avalanche are referred to as the Avs. The Lightning are referred to as the Bolts. The Wild doesn't fit in with any NHL team name. Maybe with Tier 3 league teams but not for a big league sports franchise. 

So in effect because you don't like the team name and hate the uniform it has to conform to what you want? Well I want a baseball team in Brooklyn to be called the Dodgers. But I extremely doubt it's going to happen. I was trying to illustrate your logic makes about as much sense as changing the team name from Sharks to Seals. The Stars moved to Dallas. Get over it. 

Very rarely do you see teams like the Cleveland Browns get resurrected. 

4 hours ago, Baer. said:

Nobody thinks "Penguins" or "Ducks" is worse than "Wild"?

The Ducks aren't as bad since they dropped the "Mighty" from their name. I think the Sharks is a pretty dumb name, considering Sharks have nothing to do with ice or hockey. The Wild is pretty bad though. 

1 hour ago, HC20.0 said:

The Ducks aren't as bad since they dropped the "Mighty" from their name. I think the Sharks is a pretty dumb name, considering Sharks have nothing to do with ice or hockey. The Wild is pretty bad though. 

What exactly do bears, jets, oil, flames, kings, leaves, rangers etc have to with hockey...?

2 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

Most team names have little to do with the sport they play. Ideally, team names should be evocative of where they are based.

For example, Orlando is called "The Magic" because of Disney World, Minnesota has the Timbeer Wolves, Carolina, the Hurricanes, Edmonton (and formerly Houston) has the Oilers, which refers to local industry (as does the Steelers, Packers and at one time, the Supersonics) The Bulls and Bears refer to the stock market, and teams like the Senators, Capitals and Nationals refer to the city's political status.

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Most team names have little to do with the sport they play. Ideally, team names should be evocative of where they are based.

For example, Orlando is called "The Magic" because of Disney World, Minnesota has the Timbeer Wolves, Carolina, the Hurricanes, Edmonton (and formerly Houston) has the Oilers, which refers to local industry (as does the Steelers, Packers and at one time, the Supersonics) The Bulls and Bears refer to the stock market, and teams like the Senators, Capitals and Nationals refer to the city's political status.

And the Canucks take their name from the Lumberjacks who would take form of orca whales during a full moon :P

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So in effect because you don't like the team name and hate the uniform it has to conform to what you want? Well I want a baseball team in Brooklyn to be called the Dodgers. But I extremely doubt it's going to happen. I was trying to illustrate your logic makes about as much sense as changing the team name from Sharks to Seals. The Stars moved to Dallas. Get over it. 

Very rarely do you see teams like the Cleveland Browns get resurrected. 

New York "hit one out of the ballpark" with the Mets who were named after a New York-based 19th century club, the Metropolitans, who themselves, were named after Metropolis, a nickname for New York City. The colours are a tribute to both the Dodgers(royal blue) and the Giants(orange) and they're NYC's flag colours. And don't even compare the Mets name to the Wild.

As for the Cleveland Browns, justice prevailed for fans who lost a team that had a lengthy history. The Charlotte Hornets came back. The San Jose Earthquakes in MLS returned. 

Just for the record, I posted the petition on the NHL section because there are fans of other teams, past and present, here in BC. That includes those who loved and miss the North Stars and strongly dislike the Wild name. I have no issues with debate and disagreement but if you have a problem with this thread, then kindly move on to another thread instead of being so arrogant and confrontational. Please and thank you. 

Archived