The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Drouin to Vancouver

10 minutes ago, BI3KSA- said:

When did I say those other picks havent produced more than Drouin or that you could trade him for Jones or Monahan? I'm saying many people are ruling him out like his career has peaked already or are acting like he is a bust already. His potential, pedigree and ceiling still have value. His value is still likely higher than a 6th in this draft let alone the silly stuff people say they wouldnt trade him for, like Sven, for example. 

What you responded to was me asking which of those players don't really belong in that group - that he couldn't be dealt for the other guys in his draft class pretty much makes the point that he hasn't lived up to or sustained his draft pedigree.

If anyone had offered Tampa/Yzerman anything resembling a top 6 pick in this draft before the trade deadline, Drouin would not be a Lightning today.

6 hours ago, smithers joe said:

tb has said they want a player with as much skill as drouin....that would have to be horvat and our 1st..

They can say what they want. However, they are not the ones with the advantage... they have a disgruntled player that wants out. A GM giving them an equal player in return is a bad GM, and likely why it hasnt happened yet. Steve Y is not trading him solely to make his team better by filling a whole in his lineup and giving up an extra asset to get it (like Nashville and Columbus did). As professional as Drouin may be, it still must be a small cancer in the dressing room, knowing that he doesnt want to be there, to his teammates. TB will eventually take the highest bidder, whatever that is... and my guess is on or before draft day.

I would love to see Drouin and Hamonic here on draft day deals, assuming we are picking outside the top 4.

1 hour ago, BI3KSA- said:

When did I say those other picks havent produced more than Drouin or that you could trade him for Jones or Monahan? I'm saying many people are ruling him out like his career has peaked already or are acting like he is a bust already. His potential, pedigree and ceiling still have value. His value is still likely higher than a 6th in this draft let alone the silly stuff people say they wouldnt trade him for, like Sven, for example. 

I believe Drouin is blooming late, and it doesnt help that almost all his peers you mentioned have all had a heck of a lot more opportunity at top 6 or even top line roles on their teams, compared to Drouins mostly 4th line duties. That being said I still believe Drouin will be in the same neighborhood as those aforementioned players sooner rather than later. Quote me on it. 

I am, because I agree with you 100%. I would even go out on a limb and say that he could be better then some of the others mentioned, if given the opportunity.

51 minutes ago, oldnews said:

What you responded to was me asking which of those players don't really belong in that group - that he couldn't be dealt for the other guys in his draft class pretty much makes the point that he hasn't lived up to or sustained his draft pedigree.

If anyone had offered Tampa/Yzerman anything resembling a top 6 pick in this draft before the trade deadline, Drouin would not be a Lightning today.

His fellow top 6 draftees have all done better than him, but also had a lot more opportunity to succeed. That was the entire reasoning for Drouin asking for a trade in the first place, not getting any, or getting very little, top 9 time on TB. There is still plenty of time for him to live up to his draft pedigree, which is exactly why he is still valuable, but yes, thus far his stock has obviously fallen compared to those other players. 

You're likely right that if someone offered TB a top 6 pick for Drouin at that time they likely would have traded him. But the only reason theyd go for that deal is because of the situation at hand, him asking for a trade, and them not having a top 6 spot for him currently. His value as a player, his pedigree, his ceiling and all that jazz, is all higher than what would be available at 6 this draft. If not for the circumstances at hand there is no way TB trades him for that. 

1 hour ago, BI3KSA- said:

His fellow top 6 draftees have all done better than him, but also had a lot more opportunity to succeed. That was the entire reasoning for Drouin asking for a trade in the first place, not getting any, or getting very little, top 9 time on TB. There is still plenty of time for him to live up to his draft pedigree, which is exactly why he is still valuable, but yes, thus far his stock has obviously fallen compared to those other players. 

You're likely right that if someone offered TB a top 6 pick for Drouin at that time they likely would have traded him. But the only reason theyd go for that deal is because of the situation at hand, him asking for a trade, and them not having a top 6 spot for him currently. His value as a player, his pedigree, his ceiling and all that jazz, is all higher than what would be available at 6 this draft. If not for the circumstances at hand there is no way TB trades him for that. 

Meh.  You earn those opportunities, not expect them to be spoonfed to you prematurely.  you force your way onto the roster by outplaying your team-mates - which he simply didn't do.  I disagree that he's more talented than the top 6 in this draft - I would sure as hell not give you Puljujarvi for him - not even close - absolute no brainer.  I won't be surprised if Puljujarvi is in the NHL outscoring Drouin as a teenager next year.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Meh.  You earn those opportunities, not expect them to be spoonfed to you prematurely.  you force your way onto the roster by outplaying your team-mates - which he simply didn't do.  I disagree that he's more talented than the top 6 in this draft - I would sure as hell not give you Puljujarvi for him - not even close - absolute no brainer.  I won't be surprised if Puljujarvi is in the NHL outscoring Drouin as a teenager next year.

You mean like Jake last year?

55 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

It was a Report and on CDC, early in the Drouin trade front, Stevie Y. called Benning and said he'd give us Drouin straight up for Horvat.

I thought JB called Yzerman and asked the price, and when Stevie Y said Bo, that ended the conversation?  

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Nobody is saying trade this years #3 for him. Everyone knows that not all #3 picks are equal.

Is Drouin better then Nylander or the top D's? Time will tell, but I am happy to give a Canadian kid, with a heap of talent, and proving he can play in the NHL playoffs already, a chance over them.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I'm saying no to that.  What about your take on that trade Z?

I wouldn't do it, Drouin already posted

almost 40 points in under a full season in his rookie year. Horvat just hit his career high of 40 points in his sophomore year and Drouin is lighting it up in Tampa again.

But Horvats offensive upside might be 

3/4 of what Drouin will produce, then add in Horvat can check, PK, win draws, and is far more of a leader than Drouin obviously.

If Tampa wanted Horvat, it would have to be Hedman, even then I wouldn't do it.

Most I would do for Drouin is this...

To VAN: Drouin

Ben Thomas

(Conditional) pick

To TB: Ma.Granlund

Rodin

J.Subban

1st 2018

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

Yes, you earn opportunities, but its a lot easier to "earn" top 6, or in most cases, top line duties, on awful teams compared to a Cup contender like TB. Most, if not all, of those other players were placed on their much weaker teams top 6, or even top lines, to begin with, and didnt even "earn" the ice time. Compare that to Drouin being placed on a 4th line, and I think the difference in opportunity is pretty clear. If you put players of equal or similar talent on top lines, with top end talent, or you play them with 4th liners, its pretty obvious whos going to score more points and be more successful. Drouin isnt a 4th liner, thats not where he is going to succeed in the NHl, yet he still scored 32 pts his rookie season on a 4th line. 

I didnt say Drouin was more talented than this years top 6, I said he is more talented than what will be available AT 6, as in, the 6th overall pick. I wouldnt place Drouin above any of the players in the top 3. 

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

Says the guy that wants to give up a top 6 pick for a 21 yr old 3rd overall who has yet to earn an NHL spot.

The Baertschi analogy is appropriate here imo - a 13th overall who was dealt for a 2nd round pick.

Drouin is in a similar situation - he's worth a mid to late 1st at this point.  Tampa will be fortunate if he becomes anything approaching his draft pedigree - realisitically he's worth a similar + years faller like Yakupov, or a later round pick - a prospect like Kerby Rychel who was also rumoured to be potentially moved (19th overall in Drouin's draft class, who I'd be hesitant to move for Drouin personally).

There are a lot of players taken after Drouin in that draft that are better assets than he is:  Jones, Monahan, Ristolainen, Horvat, Nichushkin, Domi, Pulock, Wennberg - and a handful of others you can make the case.

Yep, 2 years into his pro career and he only has a 32 pt rookie season and, so far, 5 pts in 6 games in his first playoff series. Thats a wrap folks, hes a bust! He hasnt made a Stanley cup contender in his first 2 yrs as a pro (his first yr they made the finals), hes worth a late first at best now. Trade Ballard for him, wait, never mind his stock is falling through the floor, just wait a little while and we might be able to pick him up for a Rogers Arena hot dog

CDCs patience man, always good for a laugh

15 hours ago, oldnews said:

Says the guy that wants to give up a top 6 pick for a 21 yr old 3rd overall who has yet to earn an NHL spot.

The Baertschi analogy is appropriate here imo - a 13th overall who was dealt for a 2nd round pick.

Drouin is in a similar situation - he's worth a mid to late 1st at this point.  Tampa will be fortunate if he becomes anything approaching his draft pedigree - realisitically he's worth a similar + years faller like Yakupov, or a later round pick - a prospect like Kerby Rychel who was also rumoured to be potentially moved (19th overall in Drouin's draft class, who I'd be hesitant to move for Drouin personally).

There are a lot of players taken after Drouin in that draft that are better assets than he is:  Jones, Monahan, Ristolainen, Horvat, Nichushkin, Domi, Pulock, Wennberg - and a handful of others you can make the case.

And yet people are saying they would take the deal. 

Maybe Drouin + their 1st for the 6-7th overall and a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

We could really use Drouin's top end offensive talent because we've got a bunch of big bulky forwards at the moment (Horvat, Virtanen, Gaunce, Granlund, Etem) with only one true offensive force in Baertschi with top end offensive elite talent, maybe throw McCann in there. 

Drouin would be a rich-man's Rodin.

Archived