The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ESPN/Pronman's top 100 draft eligible players

Toews

12 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

If the Oilers drafted Dubois...Their centres would be McDavid/Draisaitl/RNH/Dubois,and that's an overkill....This is precisely the reason why the Oilers won't draft Dubois..They will draft Tkachuk, or trade the pick.

But then this is a player ranking not a mock draft. It doesn't matter who's picking where, but rather who the person creating the ranking thinks will be the best player.

58 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

But then this is a player ranking not a mock draft. It doesn't matter who's picking where, but rather who the person creating the ranking thinks will be the best player.

Which franchise a player gets selected by also contributes to the player's career.  People thought Druoin was a flop until his breakout playoffs.  He needed opportunity.  Some organizations hurt players' development.

Sorry but it is "shock value". That's what writers do. Makes it a boring read just to rehash popular opinion. Pronman is just trying to get some traffic for people to read his article. 

Unless Laine has a hat trick against Canada there is no way TO is drafting him. The only question is if Edm keeps their pick, do they draft tkachuk or Dubois and then we get the other one. Believe me, Calgary is praying that someone sneaks into the top 5 but I doubt that happens. 

20 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

If the Oilers drafted Dubois...Their centres would be McDavid/Draisaitl/RNH/Dubois,and that's an overkill....This is precisely the reason why the Oilers won't draft Dubois..They will draft Tkachuk, or trade the pick.

Dubois has played wing for his entire career until half way through this last season, he is more comfortable on the wing, no team is going to pass on him because they have too many centers when they guy has barely played center.

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Dubois has played wing for his entire career until half way through this last season, he is more comfortable on the wing, no team is going to pass on him because they have too many centers when they guy has barely played center.

'Dubois, a 6-foot-2, 202-pound forward, is versatile enough to play all three forward spots but appears most comfortable at center. He was third in the QMJHL with 99 points, fifth with 42 goals and sixth with 57 assists in 62 games. He also won 50.4 percent of his faceoffs.'....NHL.com 

On May 15, 2016 at 3:43 PM, Alflives said:

Does Pronman poll Eklund to get this stuff?  My God!  Matthews is BY FAR the best player in this draft.  He plays the the game the right way, and the full 200 feet - with and WITHOUT the puck.  Puliarvi may be a better player at the NHL level than Laine too.  

A Lot of posters on CDC have better judgement than this Prawn-man.  

He is the best overall player in this draft, but in terms of high end skill and IQ I would choose Laine easy. I'm also pretty sure these rankings are based on skill set more than anything.

13 hours ago, The Rattler said:

Sorry but it is "shock value". That's what writers do. Makes it a boring read just to rehash popular opinion. Pronman is just trying to get some traffic for people to read his article. 

Unless Laine has a hat trick against Canada there is no way TO is drafting him. The only question is if Edm keeps their pick, do they draft tkachuk or Dubois and then we get the other one. Believe me, Calgary is praying that someone sneaks into the top 5 but I doubt that happens. 

Pronman is respected enough in the hockey world that he doesn't need to do shock value.

This isn't a mock draft, btw. It's the ranking of how good the players as he sees it right now. Keller's numbers are leagues better than both Boeser and Larkin.

Now, the question is - and maybe we can get @S N Y P E R S 7 or @Gstank29 to answer this - will Keller's scoring translate to the NHL?

6 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

He is the best overall player in this draft, but in terms of high end skill and IQ I would choose Laine easy. I'm also pretty sure these rankings are based on skill set more than anything.

I think that's the point.  What does one define as skill?  Is playing a straight line game, and not avoiding contact a skill that is used to determine whether the player is going to have a good NHL career?  

If there is going to be a player to bust, it will be Laine.  If we are predicting future NHL success, he should be a lot lower.

On May 17, 2016 at 6:14 AM, thejazz97 said:

Pronman is respected enough in the hockey world that he doesn't need to do shock value.

This isn't a mock draft, btw. It's the ranking of how good the players as he sees it right now. Keller's numbers are leagues better than both Boeser and Larkin.

Now, the question is - and maybe we can get @S N Y P E R S 7 or @Gstank29 to answer this - will Keller's scoring translate to the NHL?

Keller is also 300+ days younger than Matthews and his points totals from this season are very comparable to what Matthews put up last year (in the same leagues/programs/tourneys/etc).

Not saying Keller is as good as Matthews. They are very different players and Keller's size presents some challenges (and risk) that just isn't an issue with Matthews (and the rest of the "consensus" top-5 forwards).

But Keller has been criminally underrated in some mocks and rankings, so it's nice to see him getting his due (from Pronman). He's definitely top-10 IMO and I can at least appreciate the argument for ranking him top-5 (although I don't have him that high myself).

And five years from now, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Keller proves to be the fourth best player drafted from the 2016 class.

On 5/17/2016 at 0:01 AM, Honky Cat said:

'Dubois, a 6-foot-2, 202-pound forward, is versatile enough to play all three forward spots but appears most comfortable at center. He was third in the QMJHL with 99 points, fifth with 42 goals and sixth with 57 assists in 62 games. He also won 50.4 percent of his faceoffs.'....NHL.com 

Strange..his coach said he plays more physical on wing and he was put at center out of necessity. When asked about his ability to play center in the NHL his coach said he was not sure. Two different analysis from a scouting service and one from the actual guy who coached him. Could he be a good NHL center? everybody will have to wait and see if we draft him, 50 percent in junior does not translate to 50 percent in the NHL right off the bat, the guys and match ups you get in the big's are 10x what he is going to see in junior.

3 hours ago, ice orca said:

Strange..his coach said he plays more physical on wing and he was put at center out of necessity. When asked about his ability to play center in the NHL his coach said he was not sure. Two different analysis from a scouting service and one from the actual guy who coached him. Could he be a good NHL center? everybody will have to wait and see if we draft him, 50 percent in junior does not translate to 50 percent in the NHL right off the bat, the guys and match ups you get in the big's are 10x what he is going to see in junior.

He can play just about any position required of him.

There has actually been debate on which is his ideal position but I agree with Pronman's that he has the smarts to play center effectively. When he was moved to center his production did not drop which should speak to his versatility. Dubois is a special talent. I have gone back and forth between him and Tkachuk but I think he is the better fit for the Canucks. I also feel Tkachuk would be the better fit for the Oilers so let's hope they recognize that as well.

4 hours ago, Toews said:

He can play just about any position required of him.

There has actually been debate on which is his ideal position but I agree with Pronman's that he has the smarts to play center effectively. When he was moved to center his production did not drop which should speak to his versatility. Dubois is a special talent. I have gone back and forth between him and Tkachuk but I think he is the better fit for the Canucks. I also feel Tkachuk would be the better fit for the Oilers so let's hope they recognize that as well.

Yeah, and we have to consider the bias might have. He might personally prefer Dubois on the wing because of his ability to win puck battles quickly or something and just be hung up on his view of the player.

I'm with Pronman and Toews. The kid looks effective through the middle of the ice. I'm stoked if we pick him up.

Same guy who said this was the top 10 of 2014.

1 Aaron Ekblad D Barrie OHL
2 Sam Bennett C Kingston OHL
3 William Nylander RW Modo SHL
4 Sam Reinhart C Kootenay WHL
5 Nikolaj Ehlers LW Halifax QMJHL
6 Kevin Fiala LW HV71 SHL
7 Leon Draisaitl C Prince Albert WHL
8 Michael Dal Colle LW Oshawa OHL
9 Kasperi Kapanen RW KalPa Liiga
10 Haydn Fleury D Red Deer WHL

2 hours ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Same guy who said this was the top 10 of 2014.

1 Aaron Ekblad D Barrie OHL
2 Sam Bennett C Kingston OHL
3 William Nylander RW Modo SHL
4 Sam Reinhart C Kootenay WHL
5 Nikolaj Ehlers LW Halifax QMJHL
6 Kevin Fiala LW HV71 SHL
7 Leon Draisaitl C Prince Albert WHL
8 Michael Dal Colle LW Oshawa OHL
9 Kasperi Kapanen RW KalPa Liiga
10 Haydn Fleury D Red Deer WHL

Would have loved for Draisaitl to be available at 6.....

Archived