The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are You Listening To...Canadian Edition.

Rate this topic

Claire Lawrence (born July 24, 1939) is a Canadian musician who was a founding member of the Canadian band The Collectors, and remained with the group when it transitioned to Chilliwack in 1971. He performed on keyboards, flute, saxophone, and piano. He left the group in 1971 to produce a number of prominent Canadian artists and groups including Susan Jacks, Valdy, Shari Ulrich, Roy Forbes, 1979- (Nancy Nash with Robbie King CBC), UHF and Connie Kaldor.

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Claire Lawrence (born July 24, 1939) is a Canadian musician who was a founding member of the Canadian band The Collectors, and remained with the group when it transitioned to Chilliwack in 1971. He performed on keyboards, flute, saxophone, and piano. He left the group in 1971 to produce a number of prominent Canadian artists and groups including Susan Jacks, Valdy, Shari Ulrich, Roy Forbes, 1979- (Nancy Nash with Robbie King CBC), UHF and Connie Kaldor.

didn't c.lawrence also do the music for the beachcombers show and divinci's inquest as well?or was that someone else?

Just now, chon derry said:

didn't c.lawrence also do the music for the beachcombers show and divinci's inquest as well?or was that someone else?

Im not sure about that..sounds about right...Howie Vickers is still around..uses his real name Vicksberg..he is on a few of my friends FB.

Just now, ShakyWalton said:

Im not sure about that..sounds about right...Howie Vickers is still around..uses his real name Vicksberg..he is on a few of my friends FB.

check this out shakey  ,its the only way i can show you ,i can't seem to send it to u by pm.its even the right era  lol. 

11127041_906716686058407_6948532940189486307_n.jpg

3 hours ago, chon derry said:

check this out shakey  ,its the only way i can show you ,i can't seem to send it to u by pm.its even the right era  lol. 

11127041_906716686058407_6948532940189486307_n.jpg

,, thats it...went there often..they used to bring in the odd name act back in the day..the Platters for one and they used to stay in the hotel.

• Upvote 2

You know guys, there are a lot of great newer Canadian artists too. More than half the songs posted on here are 30+ years old, and stuff we have all heard a million times (thanks to CANCON) already. Why not celebrate Canadian music by supporting those still producing it?

Just discovered Bahamas lately, and really enjoy him. Sounds a bit like Grizzly Bear, but more laid back and less grandiose:

Also, I just caught Braids at the Calgary Folk Fest yesterday, and they were absolutely phenomenal - the rare case of a band who can not only replicate their album sounds live, but take the songs to surprising new levels as well. Wasn't a fan of their earlier stuff, but their new album is great.

Edited by D-Money
1 hour ago, D-Money said:

You know guys, there are a lot of great newer Canadian artists too. More than half the songs posted on here are 30+ years old, and stuff we have all heard a million times (thanks to CANCON) already. Why not celebrate Canadian music by supporting those still producing it?

Just discovered Bahamas lately, and really enjoy him. Sounds a bit like Grizzly Bear, but more laid back and less grandiose:

Also, I just caught Braids at the Calgary Folk Fest yesterday, and they were absolutely phenomenal - the rare case of a band who can not only replicate their album sounds live, but take the songs to surprising new levels as well. Wasn't a fan of their earlier stuff, but their new album is great.

Probably because alot of us go back that far...and the music is what we enjoyed ...I agree there are many newer artists and productions but if you dont know or follow the current trend in Canadian music ...it doesnt mean much to you and you are3 not going to post for the sake of posting some song/music you know nothing about....I enjoy listening to some of the newer tunes on here....but certainly not all......everyone has their tastes.

• Upvote 1
On 2016-07-24 at 8:42 PM, D-Money said:

Isn't that what some of you 'young uns' are here for? Plus, there has been current Canadian music posted in this thread, it's not like it's all '30+ year old' music. Up the number of current Canadian tunes if you feel the ratio of classic/current vids posted is out of wack.

I happen to enjoy both the classic Canadian tunes and some of the new stuff as well. I post the songs I like and keep on my listening lists.... both current and classic.

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Upvote 3
1 minute ago, Cerridwen said:

Isn't that what some of you 'young uns' are here for? Plus, there has been current Canadian music posted in this thread, it's not like it's all '30+ year old' music. Up the number of current Canadian tunes if you feel the ratio of classic/current vids posted is out of wack.

I like some new Canadian stuff: Ruth B has that Peter Pan song, and Hedley has a really good one about letting go or something.  I know I'm old, but I like a lot of that new stuff.  Bieber is on the radio right now with his truly Canadian tune "Sorry" B)