The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This is the Offseason to be Creative

5nothincanucksohno

Given the team's cap flexibility and current position in the league (i.e. transitional period where the team is looking to get younger, etc) it seems like this offseason would be the perfect time for the team to be as creative as possible. While management no doubt wants to make the playoffs next year, in reality the primary goals are still team development and prospect development.

To be clear, when I say "creative" I don't mean strategies like drafting overagers with the expectation that they will get to the show quicker or purchasing some new type of hyperbaric chamber that reduces injuries. Any "creative" solution or action should still enhance the team's current goal of getting younger and adding future talent (whether it be draft picks, prospects, or young NHL players).

A quick example (which I think has been mentioned before but regardless) would be trading for Pavel Datsyuk should he retire. The purpose would be to take on salary cap commitments for the Wings (I don't believe there would be any financial commitments) in exchange for a prospect or draft pick. Obviously, the sweetener from the Wings would have to be worth it but I think it would be should any trade include Detroit's 1st round pick and the Canucks were able to pick a prospect like Max Jones (or whoever Benning rates better). Pavel's contract is only for one more year so the Canucks' flexibility simply gets pushed forward one year - when Miller's contract comes off the books, the prospects are further along (with one more year for the team to assess player ceilings), and the team is better suited to assess FA needs.

Any other creative solutions/ideas anyone else can suggest (A la Gillis trading for Erhoff)?

5 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I've always been a fan of "buying" picks, and until the league outright forbids it I'd wish we'd do it more regularly. The problem with Datsyuk is that his cap is 7.5 million. Whatever pick you get probably won't be that decent, maybe a 3rd if we're lucky. In this specific instance we will likely be pushing up against the cap next season and my feeling is that the money would be better spent on signing a young UFA for a bit less money who will actually play instead of gambling on a low pick.

I hope management has a goal of developing players. Did I say management? I meant ownership. Our guys need time to develop, no matter what league they're in.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Datsyuk would have to NOT retire for us to acquire him. Once he's retired there's no more contract to trade for. Say he doesn't retire, and is traded to us. We'd be stuck with his cap recapture penalty if he then DID retire, and he would pretty much have to otherwise he would not be able to sign another contract in Russia (if the KHL continues to abide by their agreement with the NHL vis a vis poaching players under contract). 

With the unease/questions surrounding Luongo's retirement I don't know if I'm comfortable adding more cap for players not in the lineup.

Again, rather throw the money at Okposo or something.

8 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Datsyuk would have to NOT retire for us to acquire him. Once he's retired there's no more contract to trade for. Say he doesn't retire, and is traded to us. We'd be stuck with his cap recapture penalty if he then DID retire, and he would pretty much have to otherwise he would not be able to sign another contract in Russia (if the KHL continues to abide by their agreement with the NHL vis a vis poaching players under contract). 

With the unease/questions surrounding Luongo's retirement I don't know if I'm comfortable adding more cap for players not in the lineup.

Again, rather throw the money at Okposo or something.

I'm pretty sure, because he signed a 35+ contract, that even if he retires his cap hit stays on the books. 

I think so, anyways. 

1 minute ago, theminister said:

I'm pretty sure, because he signed a 35+ contract, that even if he retires his cap hit stays on the books. 

I think so, anyways. 

I agree, but my point, however poorly worded, was more that I've never heard of a retired players contract being traded before.

It's like since AZ named their young  GM everyone believes if their ideas are good enough and seen enough someone from the Canucks will PM. 

i swear I have never seen so many over thought proposals in my life. 

Your title should read

"This is the offseason to be Confusing"

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

It's like since AZ named their young  GM everyone believes if their ideas are good enough and seen enough someone from the Canucks will PM. 

Your title should read

People had ideas before the promotion of some dude 1500 miles away.

24 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Your title should read

haha you seem to be say nothing but negative thoughts. Why not try to say something useful and informative that will contribute to forums

Absolutely, this is the off-season I've said before and will say again - JB needs to make his mark on this team. He sat quiet at the last deadline and relatively quiet at the last draft. He's noticed several needs and addressed them along the way, but we've got some big burning holes in this team, namely on defence and a future top line center.

As per JB and TL's 3 year plan,  this is a big year for Benning. He's got transitioning young guys who are getting better by themselves (increased value with no cost), he's got a lot of big dollars coming off the books, he'll have to move some dead-weight veterans and he's got some UFA targets that fit our needs nicely.

I'd hope JB makes a monster play for a top-4 defenceman to replace Hamhuis' 20 minutes a night, either via trade or UFA signing or ideally both. Then all we need is to sign a top-6 winger (there's plenty on the market to be had) and maybe a depth defenceman and we're good to go.

Ideally:

1) Sbisa + Hansen + 2nd round pick for top-4 defenceman, around 22-25 years old, ideally RHD (eg. see NJD, PIT)

2) Sign Demers or Kris Russel to a 4-5 year deal, around 5-6M per year, ideally Demers

3) Sign one of Okposo (unlikely but ideal), Eriksson (more likely), Boedker (likely), Lucic (unlikely), Ladd (unlikely), Versteeg (unlikely) to a 3-4 year deal, 5M per year

4) Re-sign a depth defenceman, either any UFA for 1M, Hamhuis for 3M (ideally) or Bartkowski (hope not)

5) Draft (ideally) a defenceman like Chychrun, Sergachev or Juolevi to boost our pathetic young defensive unit

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson/Boedker (most likely)

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Etem - Sutter - Rodin

Gaunce - Granlund - Vey

McCann

Dorsett

Edler - top4

Hutton - Tanev

Tryamkin - Demers

UFA/Hamhuis

Subban

Chychrun

Garth Snow snagged Nick Leddy and Johnny Boychuck from cash strapped teams, and didnt pay much at all for them. Islanders are now perennial playoff team

No need to get too creative, just pick on teams up against the cap and use our leverage to our advantage. I am sure Linden and JB have the ability to pull something like this off. 

This is the year trade the Sedins', Edler, and Sbisa, and let them have  a chance at the cup. If the Canucks' continue to struggle I can see Sedins coming out and maybe asking for themselves, they weren't too happy last year with the performances. With Edler, they need to explain to him the direction this team is going, and if not then let the clowns at team1040 drive him nuts before he cracks.

Anyone who thinks Sutter is the saviour is seriously kidding themselves. The holes on this team remain on defence, forget the stud players, this teams defence is hard to watch. They have two to 3 guys who deserve to be there, while guys Sbisa and Edler are declining and are severely over-rated and they should also be moved. 

get younger and get prospects- there is no easy quick for this team. 

There are not going to sign any big time guys at the free agent market, and my concern is if they do can the Sedins' be playoff performers at this age and one more thing playoffs is all about chess matches, and defensive structure something I am concerned about with this current Defence we have. Bennings only hope is to draft, but what if mr Benning, you had more shots at drafting(eg more picks) 

25 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

This is the year trade the Sedins', Edler, and Sbisa, and let them have  a chance at the cup. If the Canucks' continue to struggle I can see Sedins coming out and maybe asking for themselves, they weren't too happy last year with the performances. With Edler, they need to explain to him the direction this team is going, and if not then let the clowns at team1040 drive him nuts before he cracks.

Anyone who thinks Sutter is the saviour is seriously kidding themselves. The holes on this team remain on defence, forget the stud players, this teams defence is hard to watch. They have two to 3 guys who deserve to be there, while guys Sbisa and Edler are declining and are severely over-rated and they should also be moved. 

get younger and get prospects- there is no easy quick for this team. 

There are not going to sign any big time guys at the free agent market, and my concern is if they do can the Sedins' be playoff performers at this age and one more thing playoffs is all about chess matches, and defensive structure something I am concerned about with this current Defence we have. Bennings only hope is to draft, but what if mr Benning, you had more shots at drafting(eg more picks) 

If we were to trade the sedins i would want there to be good FA's to come and replace them. Like if we trade them for a bundle of prospects  I would want replacements pretty fast. Could sign Boedker and Backes for a band-aid while we try to develope our own players. Were gonna have roughly 10 million going into FA if we trade the sedins we'll have 24 million. Get Backes short term for 7M and Boedker for 6M. That leaves us with 11M to improve other aspects of the team

3 hours ago, theminister said:

I think so, anyways. 

Correct.  It stays on the books because it's a 35+ contract.  Has been confirmed by multiple sources but it doesn't take up a roster spot and the salary does not need to be paid.  It's simply a cap hit of 7.5M.

Miller, Higgins, Burrows - Can't believe that's 13 million of cap space. All have 1 year remaining and if we can trade them at the draft, during the season or at the deadline, then do it. I doubt any of them will be re-signed. We have room to add some good UFAs as long as they want to come here and the term and cap is reasonable. 

Not many quality Dmen are available via UFA the next 2 years. Alzner and Shattenkirk are scheduled to be UFA in 2017. If the Capitals fail again next year in the playoffs. Would Alzner look for a change and come back to BC? Always hoping that BC connection pays off but it rarely does.

If we want to improve our D in the near future, it will most likely come via trade. Of course the draft as well but they take a long time to develop

What about Radulov? Not saying we should sign him but we do need offense. I would still like an Okposo or Erikson. We should try to get Weirchioch, wouldn't cost much and is a top 4 Dman by possession standards. Not like Ottawa likes to keep great defencemen, ie. Salo and Chara. So many directions the Canucks can go right now, I don't even wanna try to figure out our depth chart right now. I think we should push hard for Columbus's pick. 

23 minutes ago, BaerToBo said:

If we were to trade the sedins i would want there to be good FA's to come and replace them. Like if we trade them for a bundle of prospects  I would want replacements pretty fast. Could sign Boedker and Backes for a band-aid while we try to develope our own players. Were gonna have roughly 10 million going into FA if we trade the sedins we'll have 24 million. Get Backes short term for 7M and Boedker for 6M. That leaves us with 11M to improve other aspects of the team

I think we should trade for Defence, the offence will come from drafting.

I kind of seeing a fantasy here, but lets say Demko becomes the real deal, we will need good defence to help him become that good, with our current defence teams walk around our goaltenders.

Absolutely move the Sedins to a contender for a pick this draft, or better yet, send them to the Oilers for #4.  The Oilers need to make sure they have a decent team next year in their new building , and to take pressure off McDavid.  If this was pulled off we would have huge cap space to replace them with younger alternatives.

Eriksson   Horvat   Hansen

Tkachuk   Dubois   Boeser

Baertschi   Ladd     Sutter

Gaunce   McCann Virtanen  Dorsett Etem Granlund

Edler Tanev Hutton Tryamkin Sbisa Yandle

1 minute ago, clam linguine said:

Absolutely move the Sedins to a contender for a pick this draft, or better yet, send them to the Oilers for #4.  The Oilers need to make sure they have a decent team next year in their new building , and to take pressure off McDavid.  If this was pulled off we would have huge cap space to replace them with younger alternatives.

Eriksson   Horvat   Hansen

Tkachuk   Dubois   Boeser

Baertschi   Ladd     Sutter

Gaunce   McCann Virtanen  Dorsett Etem Granlund

Edler Tanev Hutton Tryamkin Sbisa Yandle

Hansen on the 1st line. Not surprised because its you :D 

Oh and I dont know if oilers have cap space for the sedins. 

3 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

I think we should trade for Defence, the offence will come from drafting.

I kind of seeing a fantasy here, but lets say Demko becomes the real deal, we will need good defence to help him become that good, with our current defence teams walk around our goaltenders.

Desi, my man, lets be honest on the defence. We could get a band-aid old man on D in FA, but most young studs take 4 to 5 years do develop. Hutton and Trymakin have shown glimpses of being top 4 guys, we must be patient and let our man JB do the drafting and he will find us some more gems. 

Look at what the Sharks did to retool: let vlasic stay, traded for burns (who took 3 years to develop), bring in some veterans to support him and voila, a stanley cup contending squad. 

This is going to be a 5 year minimum process, no need to go haywire and stray from the drafting plan. We can keep Edler and hammer i suppose and just wait for hutton to take the reigns himself, look at the progress he made in year 1! Same with Trymak!

Archived