The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Re-signing Dan Hamhuis (POLL)

VIC_CITY

Would you give him 2 years at $4M per?  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IMO the best possible contract that we will get DH to sign is 2 years at $4M per. He can get more money and at least 3 years on the open market. Plus, he isn't taking less money than Luca Sbisa, nor should he. I know our D will be a little bit crowded but Hammer is a great team guy and would be an asset to the development of our young defensemen. So I think we need to get this deal done.

Thoughts?

Using Sbisa as a benchmark is a bad idea, since everyone (likely including Benning and Sbisa himself) likely know that contract is too high.  Benning banked on Sbisa's potential, but appears to have lost.

I really like Hamhuis.  Class guy and a good mentor.  However, I think your assessment is slightly high, as I believe he would be worth about 4m on the open market at best.  I know it has only been a single year where his points per game has been quite low, but I think that most GMs will base his worth largely on his last year.

For our purposes, do we really need him, even with a discount?  An article I read this morning mentioned that we should be focusing on acquiring Russell, but I'm not sure that he'd be any more of an upgrade to Hamhuis, and we need higher end talent.... not more "filler" guys.

Here's what we have so far:

Edler - 1st pairing for us, though a 2nd pairing on a good team.
Hutton - Did very well.  Could be anywhere from a 1st pairing to 2nd pairing.
Tryamkin - Showed great promise, but a complimentary player.
Tanev - 1st pairing, complimentary player.
Biega - Depth.
Pedan - Could be a decent bottom pairing d-man next season, depending on the offseason.
Sbisa - Bottom pairing.
Larsen - Who knows when or if he will ever see the Canucks, or where he would place in the depth chart.

Really, we have enough guys who can play on the 2nd to 3rd pairing.  I'd sooner see us let Hamhuis walk and then go after a UFA like Yandle or Goligoski.  Yes, we pay noticeably more but we end up getting a guy who can play in the top pairing.

"It depends."

"Depends on what?"

"On many factors."

I like Hammer, and think he has a lot to offer the young guys we're sure to have in the lineup next year. His play was near lights out when he returned from injury last season, but he is getting on in age and it would be nice to have both Tryamkin and 1 other fresh face in the lineup next season. 

Injuries will undoubtedly strike again somewhere, it might not hurt to have him around, but it isn't as simple as should we just sign him. It does depend on what UFA/UFA's JB plans to court, and which of them he can actually sign here. 

It also depends on how ready he thinks Tryamkin and Larson are regarding making the team out of camp. Bart is probably gone, Weber could be kept as a 7th, that doesn't leave much room for Hammer with Edler, Sbisa, Tanev, and Hutton most likely locks.

edit: Forgot Biega, who probably replaces Weber as 7th/depth

4 minutes ago, nzan said:

I'd love to bring Hamhuis back, I've been a huge fan since before he ever came to Vancouver.

Two years would be great.

No way I'm paying him $4m at this point in his career though.

Honestly, $4.0M isn't bad. He plays big minutes, is very good defensively, makes a solid outlet passes under pressure, great mentor for the kids. Personally, I'd rather have Hamhuis than Edler.

Yes, but I don't think 4M is enough there are a lot of teams that will offer more for him. He was the best defense man Vancouver had when he came back from the face injury. He is a defense man not a goal scorer.

I voted yes. I'd obviously prefer Yandle but I really don't see Benning signing any of the premier UFA dmen this year. Other than Yandle, they're really not that much better than Hamhuis and would warrant significantly more money and term.

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

who can play his minutes?....edler and tanev log big minutes...i hope they don't go after yandle....or goligoski...i'm sure if benning can find someone to replace hammer, but maybe not this year.

Hutton says hi.  Different kind of players entirely, but increasing Hutton's minutes is likely going to happen anyway.

I expect they'll wait until after July 1st, ask him to see what's out there, then if there's an offer they don't want to match, he'll move on. I voted no, but if he comes back it has to be a good deal for us.

Why can't he take less than Sbisa? Really the only deal that's worth it is something like  3/3.5M per for 3 years. Any more is a big overpayment imo He is solid but he also doesn't bring toughness or a good shot, and he's just going to be more likely to be injured or declining in skills as time marches on. But he is solid with the puck, and would be a good mentor. 

We had no real takers for him at the trade deadline, and that should tell you something about the market for him as well. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Why can't he take less than Sbisa? Really the only deal that's worth it is something like  3/3.5M per for 3 years. Any more is a big overpayment imo He is solid but he also doesn't bring toughness or a good shot, and he's just going to be more likely to be injured or declining in skills as time marches on. But he is solid with the puck, and would be a good mentor. 

We had no real takers for him at the trade deadline, and that should tell you something about the market for him as well. 

You wouldn't do 2 years at $4M per but you'd do 3 years at $3-3.5M? huh? Term is the one thing that we want to avoid.

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

the only 2 teams that he would agree to go to at the deadline both wanted him...a proper deal couldn't be worked out...injuries also can dictate the minute munching d-men...

Of course you bring him back.  He is rock solid on the back end, bleeds blue green and white,  and is exactly the type of guy you want working closely with the rookie D we have coming up. Who is going to replace him?

No reason  whatsoever you don't resign Hammer.

Archived