The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Re-signing Dan Hamhuis (POLL)

VIC_CITY

Would you give him 2 years at $4M per?  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Absolutely re-sign Hanhuis at 4m/yr for two years if he'll accept that deal. Hopefully with either a limited NTC or with no trade protection (no full NTC/NMC please).

He's definitely worth the money. Probably worth a lot more if he stays healthy (and he would certainly get more than $4 million on the open market).

We have some nice young pieces on D (Hutton, Tryamkin, etc) and Larsen should claim a roster spot (probably at 6/7 to start), but if Edler and Tanev play first pairing, we really don't have anyone capable of anchoring the second pairing unless we re-sign Hamhuis (or add another D through free agency or trade).

Sbisa still has a ways to go if he's ever going to be a legitimate 3/4D. I think it would be a mistake to pencil him in on the second pairing.

Same with Hutton and Tryamkin, simply due to age and experience. They may prove themselves capable next season, but it's probably a mistake to assume either of those guys can come out of training camp and shoulder 2nd pairing responsibities for a full 82 games. Not without then having a proven guy playing beside them.

Sure it would be nice to sign one of the top UFA Ds. But Vancouver will be hard pressed to attract any of this summer's quality UFAs without overpaying. 

Hamhuis is gives us a second pairing anchor (he's still a quality top-4 D) and a solid mentor/leader in the room.

If the young guys come along well and are soon ready to take those 3/4 spots, then Hamhuis should be easy to trade (assuming he's healthy). Having him signed to a value contract should give Benning a second chance at securing a pretty nice return. Or just let him play out the two years and then re-sign him again as veteran depth.

There might be upgrades available on the market but like I said earlier, I doubt the Canucks find themselves able to actually attract a better UFA defenseman than Hamhus. I just don't think we will be on the short list of any of the top free agent Ds (unless Benning is willing to throw absolutely stupid money at them). And unless we replace Hamhuis (with another proven top-4 D), letting him walk will be a significant downgrade to an already weak defense.

RE-SIGN HIM!!!!!!

At this point in his career he is a true #3 d-man with good puck moving, skating and defensive capabilities.  He will solidify our D-core and will be able to handle large minutes when needed.  He is exactly what we need during our rebui...well, whatever you want to call it.  We are not contending next season, that's a fact, and Hammer is a perfect fit for our situation.  He will take a discount, he will be mentor and a calming factor during uncertain times.  I hope it gets done.

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Without Hammer, the blueline would have too much inexperience.

Hammer creates a great buffer until the next wave is ready to step up.

I think you nailed it on the head right there. He's a buffer. Where as the rest of the notable UFA dmen will command term and therefore be a significant part of your long term core. That's a big commitment to make and probably not worth it considering what is available. He is perfect for our team's current needs.

35 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

You wouldn't do 2 years at $4M per but you'd do 3 years at $3-3.5M? huh? Term is the one thing that we want to avoid.

Correct - I think he will be serviceable until he's 36 the way he plays now, but his skill set is also very limited which is why I think the lower salary / longer term makes more sense. Its not like we'd be getting the "best years" out of him on a short contract, he's pretty much going to be like this each year. But honestly, I'd be happy for him to cash in somewhere else. 

Only comment I will make is about ice time. In my opinion it's readily apparent he was playing too many minutes... after his injury he played very well almost looked refreshed. If he comes back he has to play less than usual until the playoffs. Let the young legs skate.

Sign hammer

Trade edler and mccann for drouin

Trade something to mtl for their first and draft sergachev. Burrows (50%) Hansen.

Sign okposo and brouwer.

Sedin Sedin Brouwer

Drouin Sutter Okposo

Baertschi Horvat Etem

Vey Gaunce Grenier/Dorsett

Hutton Tanev

Hamhuis Tryamkin

Sbisa Larrsen

No. He shouldnt be back. This isnt 2011 anymore like when he was paired with keith ballard. He is aging, slow, and injuries wear him down. Use the money to go after right handed guys like demers and yandle that can contribute on the powerplay.

2 hours ago, nzan said:

I'd love to bring Hamhuis back, I've been a huge fan since before he ever came to Vancouver.

Two years would be great.

No way I'm paying him $4m at this point in his career though.

The way he played after he came back from injury, he was easily worth $4m.......or more.  I`d care about term more than dollars.

55 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I think you nailed it on the head right there. He's a buffer. Where as the rest of the notable UFA dmen will command term and therefore be a significant part of your long term core. That's a big commitment to make and probably not worth it considering what is available. He is perfect for our team's current needs.

if we sign Stamkos then what ever money is left we will use to tidy up the D. JB has the green light or has probably been told to give Stamkos league max term and salary and there is probably a huge signing bonus that will come with that. Stamkos would immediately re-invigorate this fanbase. I am pro tank, but what is not to like about signing stamkos - you do that and this bizarre "rebuild on the fly" may actually work. If we sign stammer other will be very little money left and JB will try to grab a 2nd pairing right shot veteran D that does not suck to mentor Hutton.

All that being said I doubt Stamkos signs here. The only chance we have is hat no one offers league max to him. That is because his representation, Newport sports wants to make a big splash and they want $$$ over destination.

6 minutes ago, Zerox said:

No. He shouldnt be back. This isnt 2011 anymore like when he was paired with keith ballard. He is aging, slow, and injuries wear him down. Use the money to go after right handed guys like demers and yandle that can contribute on the powerplay.

Hamhuis will give you the same offensive production as Demers, just minus a few goals and plus a few assists. The difference is that Demers will probably get 4-5 years, without a hometown discount.

I also like Yandle but he's going to command around $7M for 6-7 years. That contract could look horrible in a few years. I would do 5 years though.

9 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

if we sign Stamkos then what ever money is left we will use to tidy up the D. JB has the green light or has probably been told to give Stamkos league max term and salary and there is probably a huge signing bonus that will come with that. Stamkos would immediately re-invigorate this fanbase. I am pro tank, but what is not to like about signing stamkos - you do that and this bizarre "rebuild on the fly" may actually work. If we sign stammer other will be very little money left and JB will try to grab a 2nd pairing right shot veteran D that does not suck to mentor Hutton.

All that being said I doubt Stamkos signs here. The only chance we have is hat no one offers league max to him. That is because his representation, Newport sports wants to make a big splash and they want $$$ over destination.

Do you really offer a league max contract to a guy that has averaged 68 points over the last 2 years? I want Stamkos as much as the next guy but there's no way I offer more than $9M annually.

EDIT: OK, $9.5M, final offer ;)

Re-sign Hamhuis. Why not? He really wants to play for the home team, he's probably willing to take a discount to stay. He's a former Gold medalist with Canada and the guy can still play. He was very solid after coming back from a horrific facial injury. If he's willing to sign for 2 years @ $4m, I hope Benning does it. Edler is a mouse and doesn't seem overly talkative. He might be really quiet in the room. Hamhuis has a ton of experience to pass along, to a player like Hutton and maybe even Larsen and Stecher if they make the team. Hamhuis looks like he could be a D Coach in the NHL one day. Edler looks like he could be in GQ magazine one day. Like someone else said, I would rather trade Edler than Hamhuis, if there was the choice.

I have said before who do you want to mentor. It's either hamhuis or edler as the mentor and for on and off ice persona and professionalism Hammer winds hands down. The man also wants to be here and retire here. Without the cap this is a non-issue but that's not the world we live in today. At 4 mil for 2 years that's a bargain and how do you put a price on leadership.

The writing is on the wall as we have already signed D men and have many so no room for Hammy now.I think he is a great D man,but has slowed down a bit to much for the speed of the game.If he takes 2 mill a year or less is the only way i would resign him.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Using Sbisa as a benchmark is a bad idea, since everyone (likely including Benning and Sbisa himself) likely know that contract is too high.  Benning banked on Sbisa's potential, but appears to have lost.

I really like Hamhuis.  Class guy and a good mentor.  However, I think your assessment is slightly high, as I believe he would be worth about 4m on the open market at best.  I know it has only been a single year where his points per game has been quite low, but I think that most GMs will base his worth largely on his last year.

For our purposes, do we really need him, even with a discount?  An article I read this morning mentioned that we should be focusing on acquiring Russell, but I'm not sure that he'd be any more of an upgrade to Hamhuis, and we need higher end talent.... not more "filler" guys.

Here's what we have so far:

Edler - 1st pairing for us, though a 2nd pairing on a good team.
Hutton - Did very well.  Could be anywhere from a 1st pairing to 2nd pairing.
Tryamkin - Showed great promise, but a complimentary player.
Tanev - 1st pairing, complimentary player.
Biega - Depth.
Pedan - Could be a decent bottom pairing d-man next season, depending on the offseason.
Sbisa - Bottom pairing.
Larsen - Who knows when or if he will ever see the Canucks, or where he would place in the depth chart.

Really, we have enough guys who can play on the 2nd to 3rd pairing.  I'd sooner see us let Hamhuis walk and then go after a UFA like Yandle or Goligoski.  Yes, we pay noticeably more but we end up getting a guy who can play in the top pairing.

how do you figure it`s lost.......Sbisa played well when he was healthy last year, including significant time on is offside.  People who complain about him just don`t have the base of knowledge for the position to understand his play, that`s it......or they expect him to be a 1,2 or 3 dman, which he`s not.  He`s a solid 5 or 4 dman.

Moot point,

He will sign for whichever team in the west will give him a NTC at lower money.

I see 3 or 4 years @ 3 mil with a MNTC at best.

Edmonton is in need of the type of player he is for mentoring the young defence they have.

Anyone watching the playoffs can see that he would be valuable to any of the teams still playing.

Still all this talk about tanking.

Name six teams that will finish below the Canucks next year? It isn't tanking anymore, tanking is what a good team does!

Archived