The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future of Chris Higgins

The future of Chris Higgins  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With our youth movement in full swing, what will the future of Chris Higgins be with the Vancouver Canucks?  Do you believe the Canucks will buyout his contract (2.5m), try and trade him for a late round draft pick or let him compete for a spot on the roster at camp?

It depends where JB/TL see us next year. Aqua will save a bit of money by buying him out, but then we're stuck with a cap penalty of just over $800K I believe for the next 2 years (don't quote me on exact figures). Where as if we bury him in the minors, we'll be on the hook for just over $1.5M this year and then we're done with it. Personally, I would see if trains like a mad man this summer and steals a spot in camp, if not I would bury him in Utica.

Your 2nd option shouldn't even be an option. If it were, we wouldn't be having this discussion as Higgins would have already been traded.

I think he still ads value for a lot of teams, and his brief resurgence back on our team showed his work ethic and desire to play.  Chris has another 2-3 solid years left in him, providing the team he is on has a realistic expectation.  He won't be a massive goal scorer, but he has always been relentless on the puck, digging it out of the boards and setting up plays.

6 minutes ago, Type R said:

I think he still ads value for a lot of teams, and his brief resurgence back on our team showed his work ethic and desire to play.  Chris has another 2-3 solid years left in him, providing the team he is on has a realistic expectation.  He won't be a massive goal scorer, but he has always been relentless on the puck, digging it out of the boards and setting up plays.

What team would want him?

Even Higgins himself admitted he had lost his hunger over the past few years. We already have enough bottom 6 youngsters, gaunce was much better at winning forecheck battles, he should take his spot. Only way we should keep him is if he is in Utica and can be called up when we inevitably get hit with the injury bug. 

10 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

What team would want him?

That I'm not as sure about, maybe someone trying to hit cap floor.  But the other question is who do you buyout?  Higgy or Burr?  I'm more inclined to keep Burrows.

Canucks are weak at LW, so I'm hoping they commit to playing Gaunce with the team next season. And if not and Gaunce remains in Utica, keep Higgins as a 4th liner. He's cheap, can still play and he's only 32. I guess it depends on if he really wants it or not.

I believe they will buy him out. There's a chance that they might be able to trade him for a late pick with part salary retained, but can't see us willing to retain more than 900k, roughly what it would cost us on cap to have him back in Utica.

4 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

If they get rid of Burrows they are dumb.

Well not exactly.. From a cap sense, Burrows Cap hit is 4.5m, his actual salary is 3m.  If bought out, isn't it the cap hit that they are relieved?  If so, then an additional 4.5m of playroom would be beautiful.

6 minutes ago, Type R said:

Well not exactly.. From a cap sense, Burrows Cap hit is 4.5m, his actual salary is 3m.  If bought out, isn't it the cap hit that they are relieved?  If so, then an additional 4.5m of playroom would be beautiful.

He still provides a good locker room presence. He is a good teammate, on and off the ice. I'd say we should keep him.

Just now, Dazzle said:

He still provides a good locker room presence. He is a good teammate, on and off the ice. I'd say we should keep him.

Playing devils advocate here, what if we could take Burrows salary and give it to an Okposo or Brouwer?  I don't know about Okposo in the locker room, but everything I've read and seen with Brouwer exudes leadership and character, and he has a cup ring.

I love burr as much as the next guy, but hockey is a business of "what have you done for me lately".  Sentiment doesn't win cups.

I've always liked Higgy...he looks like he's a good guy and teammate.  IMHO, he had one of those forgettable seasons last year, and I could see him having a good bounce-back year.  But the question is, do you keep him in the lineup ahead of the younger guys who need the ice time for their development purposes, especially knowing that the end of the road is near for Higgy in Vancouver?

For me, the real consideration is, with Higgy in the lineup, it's costing $2.5M cap hit and a roster spot...if he's in Utica, it frees up a roster spot and his cap hit is $1.55M.  So, if I'm the Canucks management, I'd have him playing in Utica, and have him on speed dial for quick call ups.  I can see him being up and down from the farm 8-10 times next season.  If I'm Higgy, I'd keep my shack in Kitsilano and take out a short term lease on a fully furnished condo in Utica.

The game plan for Higgins & (honest sniffle) Burrows should be to be active looking for players of substance to replace them. I can see us signing two forward UFA'S THIS SUMMER. One who can score & a great depth player who plays more physical than Burr & Higgins. Example Trevor Lewis as depth player. Example Okposo or Lucic.

No harm done putting them on waivers. I think they will clear and still be available to us as depth & injury call ups.  Would not be surprised if they still played a lot of the year with us...

Still prioritizing a big D signing before any forward ones.

• -SN- locked this topic

Archived