The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB, do us all a favour and make use of the NTC you never gave Sbisa

TheRussianRocket.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sbisa is the odd man out here. Benning is talking about working with Hamhuis to get things going. This puts Sbisa on the outs. 

Edler has an NTC, and is looked at as the number one, so he has control.

Tanev killed it at the Worlds, so he's safe beyond words. 

Likewise, with Hutton. 

Gudbrandson is here as a foundational piece. Same with Tryamkin. 

Hamhuis offers history and the surefire proven ability to mentor the young players as provenby endorsements from Hutton and Tanev. 

The chances that Luca Sbisa will be in a Canucks uniform this fall is slim to none. 

That's my read as well ;)

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

No, it's you who doesn't seem to understand waivers.

FYI I was not being cheeky, I was just asking as I didn't know what your question was.

I definitely do not know each players contract status in depth, but I wouldn't think that any of those 4 Pedan, Tryamkin, Stecher, or Larsen would need to clear waivers at this point.  If they do then that definitely changes things.  All I am saying really is that I like Sbisa as a 5-6 and like the overall depth of the group and think that it can be worked with.  Competition in training camp hasn't existed for a long time in Vancouver.

However, if Benning trades Sbisa for something we need, I will not be heartbroken.

Is the summer the best time to move him? If he can be held and the team can make it work play him and then move him at the deadline. If Hammer is back then we'd have to figure something out. We have cap space this season and if keeping him and seeing how the season goes and moving him at the deadline then so be it.

30 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

Since that Vey story came out, Sbisa has once again assumed the mantle of Canucks' whipping boy.

I like both of them, and Sbisa looked like Duncan Keith when compared to Bartkowski or Weber.

I think you meant Kuncan Deith.

5 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

FYI I was not being cheeky, I was just asking as I didn't know what your question was.

I definitely do not know each players contract status in depth, but I wouldn't think that any of those 4 Pedan, Tryamkin, Stecher, or Larsen would need to clear waivers at this point.  If they do then that definitely changes things.  All I am saying really is that I like Sbisa as a 5-6 and like the overall depth of the group and think that it can be worked with.  Competition in training camp hasn't existed for a long time in Vancouver.

However, if Benning trades Sbisa for something we need, I will not be heartbroken.

Pedan, Biega and Larsen all require waivers. Tryamkin has an out-clause to not go to Utica. Stetcher is fine.

As I said earlier:

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Unlike many, I don't actually mind Sbisa. Good 4/5 guy when paired with a more cerebral puck mover (like a Hutton or Tanev). I thought he showed decent improvement this year as well.

That said, if we can re-sign Hamhuis...his services are no longer required. 

24 minutes ago, wren223 said:

Is the summer the best time to move him? If he can be held and the team can make it work play him and then move him at the deadline. If Hammer is back then we'd have to figure something out. We have cap space this season and if keeping him and seeing how the season goes and moving him at the deadline then so be it.

i thought about this too but if jb is goin to capitalize ,he'd have to decide before draft day to trade sbisa for any picks ,or maybe he's already written hammer off contrary to his discussion on hockey central this morning , or were all making something out of nothing with regards to sbisa.

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

You will notice that I said "may need a little time" in Utica.  You speak with such authority, he is 21 and played a few games in garbage time with the team.  I think he looked great but they may decide, for his development, that he needs 20-30 games in Utica and then be the first call-up. We'll see. If he comes out of camp on the team I wouldn't be surprised either.

I am just saying that I like the mix of experience, size, and potential with the overall group and I think that there is room for Sbisa and maybe even Hamhuis.

I want to see competition in camp for jobs and right now I think we have a large group that could compete.

correct me if im wrong, but I believe Tryamkin has to play in the NHL or he goes back to the KHL. I dont think the AHL is an option for him except maybe for a conditioning stint. Perhaps someone who knows more about his contract could post the details?

14 minutes ago, yoshiyoshi said:

correct me if im wrong, but I believe Tryamkin has to play in the NHL or he goes back to the KHL. I dont think the AHL is an option for him except maybe for a conditioning stint. Perhaps someone who knows more about his contract could post the details?

Yep.

Thus why I said what I said / there will be no "may need a little time in Utica". 

17 minutes ago, yoshiyoshi said:

He has a clause that allows him to opt out and return to the KHL if he does not make the team.  He apparently does not want to play in the AHL.

If he is not ready to make the team I think that Benning will try and convince him to spend time in Utica.

Completely agree with the OP. I mentioned the exact same thing in the Gud thread. Sbisa seems redundant now and very costly. Our d group is young and re-signing hamhuis to mentor the kids will  be more beneficial than keeping sbisa. 

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yes...stupid board:angry:

Thought so.

I was actually commenting on the reality of Sbisa.

I was commenting on the tone used toward him and trader Jim. And yeah, I am generalizing the board here but it seems there is overlap between those that complain about trader Jim and Sbisa. So fine. Trade Sbisa. But if he is really that bad don't expect much in return.

And I am personally fine with trading him. I see at least 6 guys I want ahead of him in ice time.

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

This! +1

Why do people hate depth so much?

He's pretty expensive for "depth", so if JB and Hammer are trying to hammer something out, Spisa's your odd man out and kinda Keith Ballard 2.0, eating tonnes of cap to eat tacos in the press box if he's not moved.

IMO Spisa improved his game a lot last season, actually looked good a few times, but I wouldn't expect to see him traded prior to Hammer resigning

Archived