The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think the acquisition of Granlund and what they saw from Gaunce last season made them believe McCann was expendable.

Between Granlund and Gaunce, one of them should be a decent fourth line center next season. Both can play left wing too.

Maybe what JB saw from McCann last season made him believe McCann was expendable.  I really like Gaunce.  Baer I need to see him play in the hard areas, while staying healthy.  

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe what JB saw from McCann last season made him believe McCann was expendable.  I really like Gaunce.  Baer I need to see him play in the hard areas, while staying healthy.  

McCann seems to me like a second line or bust type of player with Horvat and Sutter, McCann just wasn't going to do it. Personally I have a bit of a soft spot for Gaunce as he was slowly brought up by Vancouver so hopefully he can be that rough winger Benning is looking for. Baer needs a little more strength to get into the hard areas. My thing with Baer is I need to see him do well in games that count.

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think the acquisition of Granlund and what they saw from Gaunce last season made them believe McCann was expendable.

Between Granlund and Gaunce, one of them should be a decent fourth line center next season. Both can play left wing too.

Agree. As much as everyone loved McCann, I had him below Gaunce in the depth chart. While McCann shows promise, his game is way less polished when compared to Gaunce. 

This is not an attack on McCann. 

12 minutes ago, smokes said:

McCann seems to me like a second line or bust type of player with Horvat and Sutter, McCann just wasn't going to do it. Personally I have a bit of a soft spot for Gaunce as he was slowly brought up by Vancouver so hopefully he can be that rough winger Benning is looking for. Baer needs a little more strength to get into the hard areas. My thing with Baer is I need to see him do well in games that count.

Gaunce had 1pt in 20 games - I don't think he's going to be that rugged LW2 that Benning is looking for. Himself thinks he's more suited as a shutdown C at this level.

As for Baer - his points came when the team was still competing.  It's at start (when he was barely playing/struggling) and at the tail end of the season when WD had him with Granlund that the scoresheet stayed blank.  The positive is that WD kept on talking of how he was making things happen - even other teams feed talked of how he was creating opportunities for his linemates.  It will be interesting to watch the day they get him a goal scorer

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Gaunce had 1pt in 20 games - I don't think he's going to be that rugged LW2 that Benning is looking for. Himself thinks he's more suited as a shutdown C at this level.

As for Baer - his points came when the team was still competing.  It's at start (when he was barely playing/struggling) and at the tail end of the season when WD had him with Granlund that the scoresheet stayed blank.  The positive is that WD kept on talking of how he was making things happen - even other teams feed talked of how he was creating opportunities for his linemates.  It will be interesting to watch the day they get him a goal scorer

With Granlund, I doubt Gaunce would crack the center position barring an injury, pitting Gaunce in the fourth line can free up Burrows for second/third line duty.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baer-Horvat-Hansen

Burrows-Sutter-Etem

Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett

With Baer, I still want to see him chasing a playoff spot.

21 minutes ago, smokes said:

With Granlund, I doubt Gaunce would crack the center position barring an injury, pitting Gaunce in the fourth line can free up Burrows for second/third line duty.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baer-Horvat-Hansen

Burrows-Sutter-Etem

Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett

With Baer, I still want to see him chasing a playoff spot.

He was the guy to take down during the playoffs in juniors/AHL.  In Utica, the Comets would have never gone as far without him. 

Not had the opportunity yet in the NHL...although I guess his emergency call up from juniors can be qualified as that.  He had 3 goals in 5 games when the Flames were still in the running for a playoff spot.

Btw did you notice that Hansen had more EV points than Eriksson last season in 15 games less: 20 EV goals in 67 games for Hansen and 18 EV goals for Eriksson in 82 games.  It might be more interesting, in order to spread scoring, to have Eriksson on a different line at 5v5 and keep Hansen with the Sedins.  Daniel says Hansen brings much needed speed to their line and other teams are getting faster.

Edited by mll

6 minutes ago, mll said:

He was the guy to take down during the playoffs in juniors/AHL.  In Utica, the Comets would have never gone as far without him. 

Not had the opportunity yet in the NHL...although I guess his emergency call up from juniors can be qualified as that.  He had 3 goals in 5 games when the Flames were still in the running for a playoff spot.

Btw did you notice that Hansen had more EV points than Eriksson last season in 15 games less: 20 EV goals in 67 games for Hansen and 18 EV goals for Eriksson in 82 games.  It might be more interesting, in order to spread scoring, to have Eriksson on a different line at 5v5 and keep Hansen with the Sedins.  Daniel says Hansen brings much needed speed to their line and other teams are getting faster.

I think Erriksson said he just wants to help our team win, and will play the role needed.  I like him with Bo and Baer, because he adds maturity and skill.  Hansen reall has NO skill.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think Erriksson said he just wants to help our team win, and will play the role needed.  I like him with Bo and Baer, because he adds maturity and skill.  Hansen reall has NO skill.  

Come on Alf. Really? The guy had produced near a .5 goals per a game average more years in his career then not. Most of his career also on the bottom half of the lineup. He is consistently one of our most reliable 2 way players and pentality killers. Plays every line effectively while scoring clutch goals. Last but not least, he's the hardest working playing on the roster and has been since he entered the league. 

Sure he doesn't have first line goal scoring skill, but to say he doesn't have any is pretty ridiculous. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Come on Alf. Really? The guy had produced near a .5 goals per a game average more years in his career then not. Most of his career also on the bottom half of the lineup. He is consistently one of our most reliable 2 way players and pentality killers. Plays every line effectively while scoring clutch goals. Last but not least, he's the hardest working playing on the roster and has been since he entered the league. 

Sure he doesn't have first line goal scoring skill, but to say he doesn't have any is pretty ridiculous. 

He's fast, in a straight line.  I guess that's a skill.  If you think Hansen is a skillful player, okay.  I don't see him as a skill guy.  If he tries to play like he has skill, he would hurt our team.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He's fast, in a straight line.  I guess that's a skill.  If you think Hansen is a skillful player, okay.  I don't see him as a skill guy.  If he tries to play like he has skill, he would hurt our team.  

I agree, Hansen is not a skill guy, what I like is that he became more efficient, with what he had, speed and shot. He's the guy Virt should take notes from if advertisement about his shot is even true, and that he isn't also a skill guy.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

I agree, Hansen is not a skill guy, what I like is that he became more efficient, with what he had, speed and shot. He's the guy Virt should take notes from if advertisement about his shot is even true, and that he isn't also a skill guy.

I like Hansen, and appreciate the way he plays.  Cam Neely played a hard game displaying very little skill.  If we get JV playing like that...oh boy!

Think we're mixing skill with hockey IQ.

Hansen has skills to skate fast, shoot hard and tenacity to separate pucks from forwards. But he's still a middle to low hockey IQ player with JV being of the same ilk. This is not an insult like I am saying he's personally stupid, but high IQ is watching how Henrik see's the ice and avoids hits while doing it. 

Edited by TimberWolf
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Think we're mixing skill with hockey IQ.

Hansen has skills to skate fast, shoot hard and tenacity to separate pucks from forwards. But he's still a middle to low hockey IQ player with JV being of the same ilk. This is not an insult like I am saying he's personally stupid, but high IQ is watching how Henrik see's the ice and avoids hits while doing it. 

This is a valid discussion.  I disagree on the hockey Q definition.  I see hockey Q as related to a player's particular skill set.  I see it as his understanding of his skill set, and whether he plays a game best suited for those skills.  Hank sees the ice, and passes well.  He is smart enough to play a possession game where his skill set can most help his team.  Hansen is a puck hound.  Having the Torts year, I think, helped Hansen understand the way he needs to play to best exploit his skill set.  JV already plays the way he needs to impact the game, considering his skill set.  He moves the puck quickly, and plays an intimidating heavy style.  

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Regardless of what McCann did he wasn't going to bump any of the top 3 centers, and he's not suited as a winger.

His talents would have been pretty wasted as a fourth line center. Granlund and Gaunce's game are much better suited to that role.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Regardless of what McCann did he wasn't going to bump any of the top 3 centers, and he's not suited as a winger.

His talents would have been pretty wasted as a fourth line center. Granlund and Gaunce's game are much better suited to that role.

Yup, I agree.  

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think that there is more to Gaunce's game, I think he may very well take Burr's spot, Baertchi is actually quite tough, he likes to play in middle more than on the boards, it is easier to score from the middle of the ice than on the boards.

35 minutes ago, bleedblue2017 said:

I think that there is more to Gaunce's game, I think he may very well take Burr's spot, Baertchi is actually quite tough, he likes to play in middle more than on the boards, it is easier to score from the middle of the ice than on the boards.

Baertschi is definitely tougher than he gets credit for. He was constantly battling much bigger defenders in front of the net last season and getting to rebounds first.

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Baertschi is definitely tougher than he gets credit for. He was constantly battling much bigger defenders in front of the net last season and getting to rebounds first.

I think Baer can play a tough enough game, but the issue (IMHAO) is whether he can take the physical consequences of how he needs to play to be an effective player and stay healthy?  

36 minutes ago, LuckyLuciano said:

He has concussion history at a young age and has yet to score against his former team. 

Hansen lacks skill but he's clutch. 

Hansen is the kind of player who could still play an effective bottom six role, when our next core is pushing to compete.  Or do we trade him now, and get a young prospect or pick?

Baer has me concerned about his health too.  Is his skill elite enough to allow him to play the way he must to help us, and not get injured?