The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Baertschi is to Calgary what Shinkaruk might be to us. Scary thought. 

Shink has a long way to go to be as good as Baer.  Right now, I'd say Grans is a better player than Hunter.  Calgary are pretty solid at LW, so it will be a challenge for Shinkaruk to make the team.  With only one more year of waiver exemption, he has a huge jump to make or he will be traded again.  I think Gaunce has a better chance of being an NHLer than HS.

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Shink has a long way to go to be as good as Baer.  Right now, I'd say Grans is a better player than Hunter.  Calgary are pretty solid at LW, so it will be a challenge for Shinkaruk to make the team.  With only one more year of waiver exemption, he has a huge jump to make or he will be traded again.  I think Gaunce has a better chance of being an NHLer than HS.

People loved Shinkaruk because he had great natural flair to his talent. It does not mean that was transferable to the NHL?

Green made mention that he did not even have the speed to go wide, as he did in junior, in the AHL. And had to refine his game. To use tight turns, using what dexterity / agility he did have, to beat guys in tight spaces and tough area's. But he's not particularly big & never did the work, ala Gaunce or Bo, to get as strong as he could be. Shinkaruk has a lot of work to do. To be a good NHL'er considering the average physical gifts he has to compliment the nift and skill he has.

Shinkaruk's job also just got tougher. They drafted Tkachuk. They also let go Colburne, who spent a lot of time at LW. That surprised me. He was also in the way. I do think he'll hold off Poirier and grab a last job on their NHL depth chart this year? And be a near full time NHL player this year. Whether that middle 6 / depth wing role suits him???  He has to grab the same job we are asking Granny to do. And without the flexibility to play centre.

Granlund, while not owning the nimble moves & flair of Shinkaruk, or Baer for that matter, even though slight is very strong, balanced, quick and athletic, strong on the puck. And smart! I can easily see why its easier to project him playing in the NHL's tight spaces. Time will tell if he will remain ahead of HS which I believe he is at this moment?

Baertschi on the other hand Calgary will miss. They had no room for him when they had Hudler & Colburne. Completely fair, they also prioritized Johnny Hockey. And did not manage Baertschi's sense of drive. Who wanted to be playing then, but felt misused. Now that they are gone they could really use him! It was also obvious, by the time he played in Utica with Shinkaruk, that he was both more advanced. In terms of playing a two way game. And much more dynamic because he had outstanding speed and athletic gifts to go with his skills.  

• Upvote 2

This is really a nice piece, AAC.

Does Sven have a problem with pressure? No, I don't think so. He has high expectations about himself so if others have too it's nothing special for him, imo. There is a story from the custodian of the portland winterhawks who said he often had to stay longer at work because one player stayed in the arena doing extra work on the ice after everbody else left, the player was Sven.

Losing the coaches trust while trying returning from a mean injury, broken ribs from his first game with the swiss national team against russia, was the tough situation for him. He found himself in a fourth line with players who hadn't the skill to play with him.

But after all I had to say this experience maybe help him to devolop in that skilled two way player he became. I really like the way he plays now.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

I just heard Sven on 1040 from the "jail cell".  I am so impressed with him, I really hope he builds on last season.  Reasonable expectations?  I say 18G 25A 43Points.  Could be more if he gets a regular 2nd line role.

I say 23G 28A 51 points as I think he'll produce on consistent minutes from the second line and PP.

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2016 at 10:18 PM, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Here is a nice piece on The Bear! I believe he is going to pick up from where he left off from last year, and a little hungrier.

http://thecanuckway.com/2016/08/05/vancouver-canucks-evolution-sven-baertschi/

Vancouver Canucks: The Evolution of Sven Baertschi

The Vancouver Canucks will be looking to their younger players to make big strides in their development in 2016-17, in order to reach the playoffs after a dismal season.

If the Vancouver Canucks want to make the playoffs in 2017, they will need big contributions from their youngsters. After scoring 15 goals in 2015-16, the spotlight will shine brightest on Sven Baertschi. Can he take the next step and continue to evolve?

As far as reclamation projects go, there’s always going to be an element of risk. That level of risk is greater depending on where the player falls on the age spectrum, since youthful players who have yet to peak can always bloom late, but nonetheless reclamation projects require teams to gamble.

It’s safe to say now that Sven Baertschi has become a fairly successful one for the Vancouver Canucks. The 23-year-old from Bern, Switzerland was originally drafted in the first round (13th overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft by the Canucks’ division rival, the Calgary Flames. Attached to him were the loftiest of lofty expectations and, after failing to meet them to the satisfaction of Calgary’s management, Baertschi quickly became a former star child left by the wayside.

Calgary gave up on Baertschi and flipped him to the Canucks for a second-round pick. Once again, he showed up on a team that had high expectations for him. His fresh opportunity in Vancouver started off rocky: he wasn’t scoring, he vanished mid-game from time to time, and his confidence was at a very low level. For a young player with such a high pedigree, Baertschi’s poor start to the 2015-16 season was worrisome. He wasn’t getting it done and coach Willie Desjardins called him out for it.

More from Editorials

Then things began to turn around for Baertschi. He developed some nice chemistry with Bo Horvat on the second line, he strengthened his defensive awareness, rounding out his overall game and becoming more of a two-way player. This, in turn, led to Desjardins giving him more opportunities to skate on the power play.

Everyone knows the rest of the story.

So, after setting career highs in almost all offensive categories last season, where does Baertschi go from here? He has a history of prolific production at the WHL and AHL levels, with the Portland Winterhawks and Abbotsford Heat, respectively. Even looking back at his earlier days in various Swiss leagues, it’s apparent that Baertschi can play and, specifically, can score.

He went on notable hot streaks last season, during which he looked extremely confident carrying the puck, created some beautiful and nifty plays, and, most important of all, he shot the puck at the net. If he’s even a tad more consistent in 2016-17, Baertschi can easily score 20 goals. He certainly has the talent and it seems as though he now possesses the confidence to succeed. He scored 15 goals in 2015-16, averaging 13:27 on the ice per game.

Therefore, it’s likely that the addition of a few more shifts per game will see that goal total climb.

One of the more prevalent debates this offseason was the lack of scoring depth for the Vancouver Canucks. GM Jim Benning addressed the need for more scoring by signing Loui Eriksson to a big, shiny contract but it won’t be enough to propel the team back into the playoff race. Baertschi’s evolution as a scorer will, of course, help address the scoring woes, and so will developmental strides made by the other youngsters but Benning stated multiple times that he was — and presumably still is — looking to acquire another winger to help take the pressure off Baertschi.

Here’s what Benning said exactly, as per the Vancouver Sun:

“We’d like to add a proven scorer who brings some grit to take the pressure off Sven, so he can keep developing at his own pace. He took a big step last year and wants to prove to people that he has more to give. But I don’t know where he’s going to end up (next season). At some point, that (second line) is where he’s going to be, but maybe he plays on the third line with the capability of playing on the power play and potentially scoring 15 to 20 goals for us.”

Benning has yet to bring in that player and some of the other wingers on the team are surrounded by question marks.

Will it be disastrous if Baertschi begins the season on the second line, eating up those minutes and trying to pick up the offensive slack after the Sedins? No. Would it be ideal to have someone in front of Baertschi on the depth chart, so that the young Swiss forward can, as Benning said, develop at his own pace? Maybe, maybe not.

There’s always the chance that Baertschi worked harder than ever over the summer months and will roll into camp, raring to go, ready to take on that bigger role. Some players thrive under pressure. Now that he’s comfortable with his new team, now that he’s gained the coach’s trust, now that he has recovered some of that swagger, perhaps he’s relishing the idea of being the guy to depend on.

It’s assumed that Eriksson will play with the Sedins but what happens if the Canucks don’t bring in another scorer? Would the Canucks be better off playing Jannik Hansen with the twins (who formed a pretty decent top line last year) and spreading out the goal scoring by lining up Eriksson alongside Baertschi and Horvat or Baertschi and Brandon Sutter?

Regardless of how it all shakes out, Baertschi should be put in a position to succeed, as long as he is willing to work hard and keep learning, keep developing. He should be given every opportunity to run with the second power play unit and he should stay with Horvat, at the very least.

Never underestimate the importance of chemistry.

Baertschi’s future with the Canucks looks bright and they certainly need all the scoring help they can get their hands on. Scoring 30 goals in the near future is not unrealistic, provided that he is surrounded by good players who can maximize Baertschi’s impressive play-making abilities and provided whichever coach is manning the Canucks’ bench gives him the opportunities his high pedigree alone merits. Since he’s had a rocky road from the start, it’s easy to forget that Baertschi hasn’t even hit 25, let alone the 26-29 mark that is generally a player’s peak.

Players who are reclamation projects are usually quite easy to root for. Baertschi is no exception. In his case, however, what started as a minor reclamation project has blossomed into something entirely different.

Baertschi is coming into his own as a NHL player and he’s showing that he belongs. He has a future with the Canucks as a key contributor within the top six. A realistic expectation for Baertschi would be 20 goals and 20 assists per season. His offensive dynamism should also bring the Canucks’ much underused second power-play unit out of relative obscurity.

Being 5-foot-11 and 190 pounds, Baertschi is never going to physically intimidate the opponent but no one expects that. That’s not his game. His game is to make things happen on the ice, whether it’s smoothly feeding his linemates with crisp passes or using that wicked shot to his advantage.

All he needed was a fire lit under him and coming to Vancouver for a clean slate seems to have done the trick. If everything turns out well and Baertschi keeps progressing at the rate he is currently, the Canucks might be reaping the rewards for years to come.

Nice article. Thanks for sharing it here.

I think it is a forgone conclusion that Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson will be a line to start the season (unless they bomb it in the preseason). And it would be foolish to not keep Baertschi-Horvat together at least to start the season. I would like Hansen with Baer and Bo but then, that would weaken Sutter's line too much and I do like Hansen on Sutter's right wing as well. So, unless we acquire a player, this leaves Etem and Rodin as the options on the wings on 2nd/3rd line.

Etem seems to have decent chemistry with Bo so say, we put Etem with Baer-Bo and Rodin with Sutter-Hansen.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Rodin-Sutter-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-Etem

Decent lineup if Baer and Bo score at their last season's 2nd half production rate and if Etem steps up. And, if Rodin turns out to be a 15 goal scorer, then I think this lineup will be good enough to at least compete for the playoffs. 

But if Baertschi or Bo doesn't produce like last season and Rodin doesn't turn out well, then it will be hard to make the playoffs. Bo, I'm not too worried and even if we are worried, there is nothing we can do to alleviate pressure off from Bo. But regarding Baer, JB is absolutely right, we need a 2LW to keep the pressure off of Baer and to prepare for the case when Rodin/Etem doesn't deliver.

JB made some upgrades that boosted this team's probability of making the playoffs (Gud, Eriksson, as well as Tryamkin, Larsen, and Rodin) but whether all the work comes to fruition or not hinges on his ability to grab a capable 2LW. 

I guess pros/cons of Hartnell has been discussed a lot in this forum but a player like that would greatly increase the chances of making the playoffs:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Hartnell-Sutter-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin/Etem

Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett/Etem

Burrows

I just wish Burrows was as good as he was in his prime. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, khay said:

Nice article. Thanks for sharing it here.

I think it is a forgone conclusion that Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson will be a line to start the season (unless they bomb it in the preseason). And it would be foolish to not keep Baertschi-Horvat together at least to start the season. I would like Hansen with Baer and Bo but then, that would weaken Sutter's line too much and I do like Hansen on Sutter's right wing as well. So, unless we acquire a player, this leaves Etem and Rodin as the options on the wings on 2nd/3rd line.

Etem seems to have decent chemistry with Bo so say, we put Etem with Baer-Bo and Rodin with Sutter-Hansen.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Rodin-Sutter-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-Etem

Decent lineup if Baer and Bo score at their last season's 2nd half production rate and if Etem steps up. And, if Rodin turns out to be a 15 goal scorer, then I think this lineup will be good enough to at least compete for the playoffs. 

But if Baertschi or Bo doesn't produce like last season and Rodin doesn't turn out well, then it will be hard to make the playoffs. Bo, I'm not too worried and even if we are worried, there is nothing we can do to alleviate pressure off from Bo. But regarding Baer, JB is absolutely right, we need a 2LW to keep the pressure off of Baer and to prepare for the case when Rodin/Etem doesn't deliver.

JB made some upgrades that boosted this team's probability of making the playoffs (Gud, Eriksson, as well as Tryamkin, Larsen, and Rodin) but whether all the work comes to fruition or not hinges on his ability to grab a capable 2LW. 

I guess pros/cons of Hartnell has been discussed a lot in this forum but a player like that would greatly increase the chances of making the playoffs:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Hartnell-Sutter-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin/Etem

Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett/Etem

Burrows

I just wish Burrows was as good as he was in his prime. 

If Baertschi and Horvat play together - they are way better served to have a veteran on their line that can help them take the next step.  Someone that can spot their mistakes and guide them on the ice.  Given where they are in their development - it feels like there is limited value to have them with players who are still trying to establish themselves.  

They'll make faster progress playing with a solid veteran that complements their game.  Baertschi needs a proven goal scorer on his line and Horvat needs someone that can help him develop his two-way game.  That's not Etem, Virtanen or Rodin. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

If Baertschi and Horvat play together - they are way better served to have a veteran on their line that can help them take the next step.  Someone that can spot their mistakes and guide them on the ice.  Given where they are in their development - it feels like there is limited value to have them with players who are still trying to establish themselves.  

They'll make faster progress playing with a solid veteran that complements their game.  Baertschi needs a proven goal scorer on his line and Horvat needs someone that can help him develop his two-way game.  That's not Etem, Virtanen or Rodin. 

I agree. So then, who? And if the answer is Hansen, who does Sutter play with?

So many question marks on Bo's line...will Baer and Jake be ready? We could really use a proven scorer like Landeskog or Kane(sic) but might have to settle for a Hudler or Pirri.

This is the line I'd be willing to invest an Edler os Sbisa in.

The next question is timeline; when should we get this scoring help?. Do we need it at the start of camp? Or  wait and see if Jake or Rodin light it up.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

5 on 5 next year.

Sedins with Hansen.

Baer, Bo and Loui

Burrows Sutter and Rodin

Etem Granlund and Dorset

I would do that unless Gaunce makes the team and allows Sutter to move to Rw. 

Unless Gaunce can outplay Burr.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Unless Gaunce can outplay Burr.

Entirely possible. Gaunce is out most underrated prospect. Does everything he is asked, high IQ bigger guy, decent two way player with good skating now and a fairly good shoot. Can play c/LW.   

Deserved a better oportuntiy last year but the AHL/CHL thing forced managements hands with Jake and Jared. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Entirely possible. Gaunce is out most underrated prospect. Does everything he is asked, high IQ bigger guy, decent two way player with good skating now and a fairly good shoot. Can play c/LW.   

Deserved a better oportuntiy last year but the AHL/CHL thing forced managements hands with Jake and Jared. 

I think the acquisition of Granlund and what they saw from Gaunce last season made them believe McCann was expendable.

Between Granlund and Gaunce, one of them should be a decent fourth line center next season. Both can play left wing too.

• Upvote 1