The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

here i thought CGY was gonna take their time with him. with a proper development system this team has in utica, this guy could be a steal

Well he won't have much time down there. He has till the end of this season then he would have to clear waivers. He isn't going to be part of Utica for long

Edited by cuporbust

This is a smart move, although we give up a second in a deep draft its not like we cant acquire one at the draft.

Secondly, this buys us some extra time with our prospects such as virtanen and shinkaruk. Really happy with this

It's bad news for Jensen. They will have to choose between them soon. It's a bigger gamble then it might seem. We basicly have to give him a roster spot next year or lose him for nothing. That's not good news for guys like Jensen. Edited by cuporbust

Do you think we have enough time to turn him into a player? Especially since we have a similar guy in vey?

That's the problem. That and it pretty much screws Jensen( not that he has deserved anything better yet). They must have seen something they didn't like in Jensen because there isn't room for both. Vey is a centre. A little different situation there

It's a risk because of the waiver situation , among other obvious things. some say his issue was work eithic and this might be taken as a "you already made the team" sort of thing for him mentally. I don't think it will end up that way, but it's a popular argument he won't have to earn his spot with hard summer work. I think he will work his arse off personally but there is debate. It's a very interesting move.

Doesn't help the other prospects much in the way of competition because for one of them to take his spot without him being hurt means we would have to be totally giving up on him by putting him on waivers.They can't just play the best player and send the other down.

Edited by cuporbust

I am ok with the trade. Not crazy about giving up the 2nd, but the gamble seems worth Baertschi's upside from a pure cost standpoint.

I am a fan of Benning as our GM. I see what he is trying to do with adding some prospects in the 21-25 range.

But here is what I don't like:

You now have Vey, Clendening, and Baertschi who all have to clear waivers next year. You have given up 2 2nd round picks and Forsling to acquire them. With those costs paid you cannot expose them to waivers.

So are you now guaranteeing all 3 a roster spot on the Canucks next season?? First of all roster spots need to be EARNED with good play and hard work. 2nd there are other good youngsters pushing for spots. Baertschi while talented has far from proven he should be handed an NHL job. Clendening has been up and down, has a lot to work on starting with his mobility. Vey is well documented. At 23 he is not going to get bigger or much stronger. He has been ok in his rookie season but hardly deserves a guaranteed roster spot for next year

Not sure all fans are looking at this element of these Benning moves.

I am ok with the trade. Not crazy about giving up the 2nd, but the gamble seems worth Baertschi's upside from a pure cost standpoint.

I am a fan of Benning as our GM. I see what he is trying to do with adding some prospects in the 21-25 range.

But here is what I don't like:

You now have Vey, Clendening, and Baertschi who all have to clear waivers next year. You have given up 2 2nd round picks and Forsling to acquire them. With those costs paid you cannot expose them to waivers.

So are you now guaranteeing all 3 a roster spot on the Canucks next season?? First of all roster spots need to be EARNED with good play and hard work. 2nd there are other good youngsters pushing for spots. Baertschi while talented has far from proven he should be handed an NHL job. Clendening has been up and down, has a lot to work on starting with his mobility. Vey is well documented. At 23 he is not going to get bigger or much stronger. He has been ok in his rookie season but hardly deserves a guaranteed roster spot for next year

Not sure all fans are looking at this element of these Benning moves.

Agreed. I've been back and forth in this trade for that reason. Kinda sounds stupid when u think about the ramifications of his waiver situation next year and his performance to this point. It's hard to support giving a roster spot to a kid that's proved nothing. Still, very well could work out Edited by cuporbust

McCann says hello

Baertschi's jr numbers >> McCanns

He was pretty much the best player in jr the year after his draft... Even Benning said so.

until McCann plays in the AHL and NHL I rate Sven higher, but not by a lot.

I'm about 95% confident he's not going to bust here. We have 2 of the best coaches for young guys.

I hope that he can solve his mental issues and become a great success for the Canucks.

He asked Calgary for a trade and was granted his wish, as there was not going to be a Top 2 LW position available for him with the Flames next season.

Baertschi wasnt a "planned" pick up. Benning saw an oppertunity to get a "top 6" forward and decided it was worth the risk. Its definitly risky but, COULD have a huge payoff

I wonder if we could have waited till after training camp next year to see what we have? Then make the trade for Sven. But yeah the risk looks good. I just wonder if we had never of gotten vey. We could of had santorelli or maybe sbotka and be in the same place points wise heading into the playoffs but with some 2nd rounders.

Baertschi's jr numbers >> McCanns

He was pretty much the best player in jr the year after his draft... Even Benning said so.

until McCann plays in the AHL and NHL I rate Sven higher, but not by a lot.

I'm about 95% confident he's not going to bust here. We have 2 of the best coaches for young guys.

I have a strong feeling that McCann will be a grittier and more well rounded player

I have a strong feeling that McCann will be a grittier and more well rounded player

No doubt about that, no point to even compare them really, totally different players.

But as of now I think Baerschi is the better prospect. He was pretty much scoring close to ppg in the AHL and NHL before all of the injuries and drama.

Baertschi wasnt a "planned" pick up. Benning saw an oppertunity to get a "top 6" forward and decided it was worth the risk. Its definitly risky but, COULD have a huge payoff

Do Baertschi AND Linden Vey play for the Canucks next year?

That is two not very big, soft players, who have much to prove and cannot be exposed to waivers.

What if Virtanen lights up training camp and Kenins continues to impress. What if a Cassels suprises or Shink or Jensen get it together? There is only so much room on the roster for youth to break in.

Are these two penciled in just because of their waiver situation if they are not the best looking young players who have earned it?

Edited by Cupless44