The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

Forget about McCann?

McCann has talent but the fact that some people are penciling him into the first line centre spot already shows just how much CDC overvalues it's own prospects.

He very well could be a first line centre one day, but those are some lofty expectations to put on him.

McCann has talent but the fact that some people are penciling him into the first line centre spot already shows just how much CDC overvalues it's own prospects.

He very well could be a first line centre one day, but those are some lofty expectations to put on him.

[i am one of the ones saying that McCann could be our 1C one day but I doubt I have any effect on him.

And I am not saying he will be, I just think he has that potential.]

Re: Sven Baertschi:

Sometimes it is spelled "Bartschi", with an umlaut over the "a" (don't know how to type that but I think it makes it sound more like "bare" rather than "bar").

I heard Baertschi pronounce his name for a reporter as, "bear chee", as in tai chi with more claws and fur.

Bear Chi: Speedy, swooping, clawing, and savagely ripping goalies asunder; then standing, forearms stretching high, and howling in triumph, holding The Stanley Cup.

Bear Chi.

• Upvote 2

Usually because I disagree with what you have to say. It's usually based on negative assumptions, and fearing the worst.

I don't find it scary that he has to be on the team. Vey is in the same situation right now, and is it really hurting our team to have him up here? No.

If anything I think Vey has built his value up enough that if we wanted to trade him, we could get a 2nd back for him. If you believe in your farm team and coaching to get the most out of this young guys, then you gotta give them young guys to try and mold.

I provided many logical reasons that this was a good move and showed you the odds of second round picks panning out. Your argument seems to be based around, "well this could happen, so we should do this instead". Choosing to keep the 2nd round pick isn't necessarily the safer bet.

I would hate to part with Vey. He has a lot of intangibles and once he strengthens on the puck he will be great for us with his never say die effort level. He's like a more sophisticated Hansen. :)

Willie has only had 2/3 of a season with these guys, wait till next season. WOW!

This is the way I look at this trade, as well as the Linden Vey trade for that matter. If we had a second round pick, and produced the way Baertschi does now or had the skill set he displayed, we would all be ECSTATIC. Benning just fast forwarded prospects with prospects that have proven themselves on the AHL level and shown they are likely to succeed in the NHL sooner rather than later. I will take that over a risky 2nd or 3rd rounder almost any day. The chance that the 2nd rounder comes back to haunt us is very low.

And the pick is going to be somewhere in the 45-55 range most likely. Baertschi was picked 13th overall. This trade was more than fair value. It was a straight steal

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see him play for the canucks some time during the season as well as add playoff depth

Can a 2nd round pick do that?

Rather have him out there then McMillan

I remember a couple years ago when he was an emergency call up for the flames and he lit it up at a young age

He was the sole reason the flames were making a run for a playoff spot and there was a lot of talk about him

from the trade thread.

don't know if this was posted already and I'm not looking through 33pgs to find out - I tracked down flames nation's off season prospect profile (june 24 2014) of him; listed #3

http://flamesnation.ca/2014/6/24/the-2014-flames-fifteen-3-sven-baertschi

that conclusion says it all.

Edited by avelanch
  • Upvote 1

So much for not trading draft picks, but I guess again, Benning is fast forwarding these picks into more ready players. He seems to be trending in the wrong direction though.

can't believe you got points for this... your dead wrong... benning is moving in the right direction... they are nhl ready players but young still the best kind to train and motivate...the players are at their peak to make the nhl just where you want them to be... believe me when i say benning is smart and a great talent evaluator...great trades.

I'm actually going to make a bold prediction. I think, long-term, he may very well be considered the "steal" of the deadline. He has that potential. He has 1st line potential. If he pans to to make it to the 1st line and we only had to give up a 2nd for him?

Think about that... B)

You say overvaluing, I say I disagree with the notion that only a player drafted top-10 can one day grow into a first line centre.

I'm actually going to make a bold prediction. I think, long-term, he may very well be considered the "steal" of the deadline. He has that potential. He has 1st line potential. If he pans to to make it to the 1st line and we only had to give up a 2nd for him?

Think about that... B)

Think about this one...Baertschi can just as easily be a waste of a second round pick...Baertschi can just as easily be a guy who struggles to land a spot on the Canucks roster as a second-line wannabe...and as you say, Baertschi can easily be the first line player. Anything is possible.

What Baertschi is is a high end prospect with a lot of untapped potential and a high ceiling. He obviously failed to live up to expectations of the Flames management, and being moved further down their depth chart precipitated a trade request. For what JB gave up, he got a very good prospect. I hope you're right with your bold prediction.

Think about this one...Baertschi can just as easily be a waste of a second round pick...Baertschi can just as easily be a guy who struggles to land a spot on the Canucks roster as a second-line wannabe...and as you say, Baertschi can easily be the first line player. Anything is possible.

What Baertschi is is a high end prospect with a lot of untapped potential and a high ceiling. He obviously failed to live up to expectations of the Flames management, and being moved further down their depth chart precipitated a trade request. For what JB gave up, he got a very good prospect. I hope you're right with your bold prediction.

I'm not saying he will become a first line centre. I'm saying he has the potential. Right now, I don't see the point in thinking negative about it simply because nothing has happened yet. While it's easier for human nature to be negative about it, positive vibes tend to go farther. :)

• Upvote 1