The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

I agree it is too early to predict how Baertschi will do in the NHL, But his playoff performance was disappointing. He was invisible in his first and was buried according to possession (Corsi) numbers in yesterday's game. Given the circumstances, we might have expected more. After all, he is older than Bennett, Horvat, Monahan, and Goodreau but those guys all showed a lot more.

And it is not like he does not know the Canuck system. He has been playing in Utica where the same basic approach is taught (although Travis Green is a bit more defensive in his orientation than WD).

I realize that it takes time to build chemistry with team-mates and he did have a good final regular season game against Edmonton. So the jury is out but it is hard to be more than neutral in terms of expectations at this stage.

I didn't say he was great in playoffs. But again, was he the only one who wasn't great? No he wasn't, he's not exactly the reason why we lost the series, nor do i think he would've made a difference even if he were great. Our defence was horrible.

It doesn't matter if he's older than those guys, because each and every player have a different way of reaching success. Mike Hoffman on the Sens made his 1st full season this year in the NHL. He's 3 years older than Baertschi. You make it sound like Baertschi is about to hit his prime, but his career has barely started. You're also comparing him with players that were either regarded as great, mature players in their draft years (like Horvat,Monahan and Bennett) and one of the best undersized players the last few years (Gaudreau). ffs he's only 2 years older than Monahan who is seen as a young and very talented 1st center. I don't even think Monahan was that good in the series, it took him like 3 or 4 games to get his game on, but he was obviously much better than Baertschi, even though Baertschi had 2 measly games. People are waiting for Kassian to take the next step, and he was drafted 2 years earlier than Baertschi.

Yeah he's been playing with the Comets for less than 2 months, which isn't exactly much. He's been good down there, but there's a big difference between playing in the AHL, and playing in the NHL. 5 games is an extremely low sample size. Anyone who's already writing him off is outright stupid. He's got the speed, the skill, great offensive instincts.. all in all everything our 2nd line didn't have (until they demoted Vrbata, even though he didn't make a big impact there). Why wouldn't he be able to succeed? He's exactly what our 2nd line needs. He'll get a proper look next year, when he'll have more opportunities.

Edited by Hedman
  • Upvote 1

The kid's played for like 3 or 4 different teams now in the last few months and got thrown into some playoff games where most of our forwards weren't even playing well. He did pretty decent imo considering.

I thought he looked good. Made some nice plays to get the puck in the offensive zone, one of which lead to a goal. Baertschi SHOULD get second PP unit time next year and Horvat should get 1st/2nd line PK. You got to set up your players to succeed and Benning/Linden have done that will this year.

The kid's played for like 3 or 4 different teams now in the last few months and got thrown into some playoff games where most of our forwards weren't even playing well. He did pretty decent imo considering.

Forwards were playing fine, Baertschi isn't ready yet.

He's been an absolute monster in the AHL so far, hopefully this off-season he can transition better into the NHL. It's a lot to ask of him to become our 2nd line winger overnight but hopefully he can start playing around 12-14 minutes a night and score 10-15 goals next season in the bigs.