The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Guance doesn't have Weise's speed nor Sestito's physicality but has real solid positional play. Really disappointed in Sestito's play last night. He turned the puck a lot and looked real slow. There is no point keeping Guance in Van if he plays less than 10 minutes a game. Even with PK minutes I don't see that happening. Of the young players he looks most ready to me.

I disagree, I think Gaunce is the type of player that can start on the 4th line and work his way up, slowly given more responsibility such as time on the pk. In other words the exact same path (once he was in the NHL) as burrows took. Even looking at Keslers stats from the 05-06 season, he was only averaging about 12 minutes a game for the first half of the season.

• Upvote 1

I think he might actually have a good chance to make the team.

He is one of the those players that does great things, and makes great plays, but very quietly.

He's quiet & effective. And can do alot of things with his skillset. I think its Schroeder job, but if JS is unfortunately out for a significant period of time, it could be the opportunity Gaunce needs.

• Upvote 1

Explains why Gaunce is our leading goal scorer in the pre-season right?

No, but this certainly explains how lacking your knowledge in hockey is.

By the same logic, Gaunce would be better than Henrik and Kesler because he has more goals than they do in the pre-season.

Gaunce did well to drive the net and get the greasy rebound - that's two shifts out of however many he took where he did something positive. The rest? He is mostly invisible and not doing much. Richardson and Santorelli have shown positives in most of their shifts.

And that is the difference between NHL-ready and a junior player. Richardson and Santorelli are working their butts off every shift out there - Gaunce is not consistent every shift. He will have to work on it in the OHL this year.

By the same logic, Gaunce would be better than Henrik and Kesler because he has more goals than they do in the pre-season.

Gaunce did well to drive the net and get the greasy rebound - that's two shifts out of however many he took where he did something positive. The rest? He is mostly invisible and not doing much. Richardson and Santorelli have shown positives in most of their shifts.

And that is the difference between NHL-ready and a junior player. Richardson and Santorelli are working their butts off every shift out there - Gaunce is not consistent every shift. He will have to work on it in the OHL this year.

Thanks for at least providing reasons as to why Richardson and Santorelli are better than Gaunce. Dangler just likes to assume that anyone on the Canucks/other NHL teams is better than Gaunce and just leave it at that. If Richardson and Santorelli out play Gaunce and he is sent back to junior fair enough. But I would like to see what he can bring for 9 games and go from there.

Is Guance picking up his check or not? Positionally he looks good. The two goals he scored speaks more about his positional play than scoring prowess. I would be more concerned about his physical play. I cannot say that I have seen a lot of that to date.

IMO Gaunce will be a great third line center nothing more. Possibly down the middle Horvat-Schroeder-Gaunce-Lain but I would assume he would acquire a different top 6 center in the future.

Anyways, I think Gaunce would be suited for a fourth line role where he is interchangeable and moves up to the third.

I agree that Gaunce is great positionally. If you remember that defensive play he did against the oiler forward (i forget who it was, I think it was Eberle?) on that wide open net, Gaunce made the right read and merely used his reach to prevent that goal from happening BUT that play could';ve gone either way because as you can see in the replay, he was a step behind . The point Im making is that Gaunce skating is way too slow at this level for now but the kid has a tremendous knowledge of the defensive side of the game... hes going to be a good one. I just think he should need some seasoning, and Im sure his skating will improve. Hodgson and the Sedins weren't exactly burners in the beginning but they turned out pretty decent. Gaunce will be a solid player after some seasoning and development, the kid can play, just not right now

Gaunce has really impressed me.

He's great on the forecheck with his size and ability to attack the puck, his wingspan is great aswell which plays into it. He's smart defensively and is always in position to break up a play in our half of the ice, then even offensively the way he goes to the net & the way he plays around the net, then also knowing when to pass & make plays, aswell as having the ability to make good plays.

I really like this player. And I think this is a player Torts will really love aswell.

He'll love him in the future.

Right now Gaunce needs to go back to Belleville and work on keep moving his feet and never stop skating, playmaking, and acceleration. Too many times I see him reach with one hand to try and pry the puck from a defenseman on a rebound. He can't skate up to pressure with the body and steal the puck so he reaches with the stick.

Another year in juniors to work on his skating and offensive game, and he could become a solid 2nd/3rd liner.

• Upvote 1

I think Gaunce plays his best when he is physical, dominating the ice around him and playing lots of icetime. He will get that chance again someday but for now like said above, he needs another season in the OHL under his belt to condition his skating, his consistency with and without the puck and be more involved in the play and not be scared to be creative. He looks rather scared to make a play he takes the safe play route too many times when he has the chance to show his stuff.

The skills are there but he needs more confidence and consistency to show it. At times he looks a little too lazy probably due to his average skating which in turn will improve, causing him to be in the puck battles and gritty places along the boards. overall he has had a decent training camp.

He's got a great looking future. Big guy with fantastic hockey sense. The skating will improve, as will his physical game. I think he is closer than anticipated. Another year in jr and he will good to go for next season. He's the 3rd line C we've been screaming for since Maholtra went down. I can also see him moving up to 2nd line W when needed.