The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

10 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

What I do like is when he battles for the puck, he has the size and strength to compete with anyone.  He did mess up a little against Calgary leading up to a goal against, but I do see good things in his game. 

Usually once per game or once every 2nd game he gets a grade A scoring chance, like somehow coming up with the puck around the net or a screen/tip in front.  That's pretty good for a 4th line guy with limited minutes.  The Plus/Minus is not an accurate stat, but he's at 0, so he's defensively reliable on an offensively challenged team.  

His biggest weaknesses when drafted are foot speed, offence and physical level.  Being a bigger guy and in the NHL, he will need to keep his feet moving more.  His positioning is great, but when defenders like Doughty and Keith can just quickly pass or skate up with the puck quickly, you need to be either check them out of the play or get back quick.  Offence.... from a young guy in a defense-first role, I'm not too worried.  Most of his goals will most likely be coming up in front of the net.... he's already instinctively heading there.  His physical level of play does leave a bit to be desired, as he's probably the biggest forward on the team (Skille is heavier), so he should be pasting guys a bit more.  Of course, being a younger guy and not wanting to be out of position may play a role.

All in all, he's doing a lot of the little things right.  I just certainly hopes that he keeps practicing on his face-off and keeps his feet moving, coaches love that.  

Just watch, Gaunce will get sent down, so Willie can keep Megna, Chapoo, and Skille.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:37 PM, Alflives said:

Just watch, Gaunce will get sent down, so Willie can keep Megna, Chapoo, and Skille.

As the TDL draws near that decision might never have to be made. Rodin's knee puts him on a slow burn. I am hoping Skille draws a TDL offer. While Megna shows great potential he has to score and has not. How patient will management be? Waive Megna and he is likely claimed but I suspect that would be the situation. Chaput and Gaunce are having good development seasons and I would keep both in Vancouver.

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

As the TDL draws near that decision might never have to be made. Rodin's knee puts him on a slow burn. I am hoping Skille draws a TDL offer. While Megna shows great potential he has to score and has not. How patient will management be? Waive Megna and he is likely claimed but I suspect that would be the situation. Chaput and Gaunce are having good development seasons and I would keep both in Vancouver.

Skille is 29 and Megna is 26.  I think you're right that those two are what they are.  Chapoo and Gaunce have room to get better.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Gaunce is still a young player...but from my vantage point (the TV),he has still not really demonstrated he's an NHL player...IMO.....Is he above average in any facet of the game.?.Hitting,scoring,playmaking,fighting etc....Not seeing it.

Been pretty much saying this for weeks now. Gaunce is in over his head. Maybe one day he can be part of a real fourth line but he is essentially a plug. And a pylon. Needs to work on his game down in Utica and get better at skating. He looks like he's skating in quicksand sometimes.

10 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Gaunce is still a young player...but from my vantage point (the TV),he has still not really demonstrated he's an NHL player...IMO.....Is he above average in any facet of the game.?.Hitting,scoring,playmaking,fighting etc....Not seeing it.

Positionally I see Gaunce playing a strong game. Strong fore check and strong defense is what is expected from a 4th line and IMO Gaunce-Chaput-Skille deliver this. If the gauge being use by fans is the ppg then they will be disappointed. I am not worried about his point production my only wish would be a touch more physicality. Gaunce is the type of player who could surprise if played on a 3rd line.

Desjardin's allocation of TOI has steadily increased for the 4th line and is a valid move. The NJD game had ideal allocation IMHO.  

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Positionally I see Gaunce playing a strong game. Strong fore check and strong defense is what is expected from a 4th line and IMO Gaunce-Chaput-Skille deliver this. If the gauge being use by fans is the ppg then they will be disappointed. I am not worried about his point production my only wish would be a touch more physicality. Gaunce is the type of player who could surprise if played on a 3rd line.

Desjardin's allocation of TOI has steadily increased for the 4th line and is a valid move. The NJD game had ideal allocation IMHO.  

well said, completely agree.

On 1/17/2017 at 9:37 AM, Boudrias said:

14 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

well said, completely agree.

Not well said, completely disagree.

You can say Gaunce plays a "strong" game but this proves to be fallacious. He is a great passer and a smart player, but he is easily thrown off the puck along the boards, in front of the net, pretty much anywhere on the ice. He falls over so easy you would think someone messed with his skates. I will admit that Gaunce has looked better as of late but he needs to put a puck in the net FFS!

Skille I have no problem with ever since that goal he scored against the Caps I was okay with him.

Don't even get me started on Chaput. He is worst of the bunch. He turns the puck over like he baked apple turnovers for everyone. An appropriate nickname for this fellow is Chaturd! Let's be honest he is terrible. 

Edited by Horvats_Big_Head

9 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

Not well said, completely disagree.

You can say Gaunce plays a "strong" game but this proves to be fallacious. He is a great passer and a smart player, but he is easily thrown off the puck along the boards, in front of the net, pretty much anywhere on the ice. He falls over so easy you would think someone messed with his skates. I will admit that Gaunce has looked better as of late but he needs to put a puck in the net FFS!

Skille I have no problem with ever since that goal he scored against the Caps I was okay with him.

Don't even get me started on Chaput. He is worst of the bunch. He turns the puck over like he baked apple turnovers for everyone. An appropriate nickname for this fellow is Chaturd! Let's be honest he is terrible. 

So clearly it is goals that you are using as the standard for the effectiveness of a player. Forechecking, winning puck battles, and all of the other non-sexy critical attributes don't count.

These are fourth line players we are talking about. They are the guys that provide energy and their most important role is often thought of as keeping the puck as far away from their own goal as possible on every shift. If they can grind a shift out along the boards then they have done their job. Gaunce is very good at this and he has a good reputation for doing exactly what the coaches tell him to do.

• Upvote 2

It's not just that he isn't scoring, he isn't getting chances to score either. I'm not sure if it's a lack of hockey smarts to anticipate and get to the right place or a lack of quickness to get there but I suspect it's the latter. Skille plays the other side on the line and gets some quality scoring chances. Guance just doesn't; the difference is stark.

2 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

What a waste of a first rounder. Should have taken Tanner Pearson with this pick or even traded it before drafting this plug

Hindsight is 20/20. I also wouldn't consider Gaunce a plug. He's a very reliable player with solid underlying numbers. His stats aren't flashy, but he gets the job done.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, reyezone said:

I actually like Guance's game. He is competing very hard and separating players from the puck with an intense forecheck. I see him being on a solid path to a competent bottom 6. 

Totally agree. If the Canucks did not invest in Gaunce's TOI then who? He has shown enough this year that he has upside. The 4th line is doing exactly what has been asked of them. Anyone notice how many shifts they are getting at critical moments in games. WD had them closing out periods and games more and more. Gaunce will be an NHLer and even Chaput might make it with the experience they have gotten this year.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, reyezone said:

I actually like Guance's game. He is competing very hard and separating players from the puck with an intense forecheck. I see him being on a solid path to a competent bottom 6. 

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree. If the Canucks did not invest in Gaunce's TOI then who? He has shown enough this year that he has upside. The 4th line is doing exactly what has been asked of them. Anyone notice how many shifts they are getting at critical moments in games. WD had them closing out periods and games more and more. Gaunce will be an NHLer and even Chaput might make it with the experience they have gotten this year.

I agree. Another thing I like about Gaunce's game is the fact that he is good at stealing pucks. A sign of good hands, quickness, and good hockey IQ.

• Upvote 1

Just now, WeneedLumme said:

I agree. Another thing I like about Gaunce's game is the fact that he is good at stealing pucks. A sign of good hands, quickness, and good hockey IQ.

Wasn't Gaunce the first player off the bench to celebrate Henrik's 1000th point?  The kid is a leader too.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Wasn't Gaunce the first player off the bench to celebrate Henrik's 1000th point?  The kid is a leader too.

His intelligence was always highly touted and we're seeing that him use that IQ to adapt his style of play to be a regular in the show. He has done everything asked of him and then some and it's working. I think he turned some heads, like most great leaders, by being in phenomenal physical condition at training camp.