The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'm hoping I'm right?  I believe Gaunce will make the team out of camp!

If not directly out of camp. He will at least play the substantive part of the season, 35 to 55 games, in the NHL. 

He looked capable in call ups at the end of the year. And polished in the AHL.  He might need someone injured. Or out of form. But we can expect that.

I have him behind Hank, Sutter, Bo and Granlund.  But a 5th C should be on the roster. No question. And he's a better match up body than Granlund. Suited to a stereotypical 4th line C role at least in body make up.  I'm hoping Burrows gets in his ear?  Teaches Brendan to play a little nastier. Compete that much harder for every puck. No reservations or prisoners. Come over the boards hell bent on chasing down every puck.  Gaunce is the 5th C IMO. 

He'll make the team IMO. Its just a question of how much desperation he plays with > which will determine how effective he will be...

So many question marks going into the season with Gaunce being one. This is why IMO that no further vet signings were needed. Hopefully a number of the young players actually shave TOI off existing vets. CUP contention is 3 - 5 years away and the younger players have to be the key parts of that goal.

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'm hoping I'm right?  I believe Gaunce will make the team out of camp!

If not directly out of camp. He will at least play the substantive part of the season, 35 to 55 games, in the NHL. 

He looked capable in call ups at the end of the year. And polished in the AHL.  He might need someone injured. Or out of form. But we can expect that.

I have him behind Hank, Sutter, Bo and Granlund.  But a 5th C should be on the roster. No question. And he's a better match up body than Granlund. Suited to a stereotypical 4th line C role at least in body make up.  I'm hoping Burrows gets in his ear?  Teaches Brendan to play a little nastier. Compete that much harder for every puck. No reservations or prisoners. Come over the boards hell bent on chasing down every puck.  Gaunce is the 5th C IMO. 

He'll make the team IMO. Its just a question of how much desperation he plays with > which will determine how effective he will be...

He's got to leap frog too many guys IMO.

Camp could change things but Zalewski's got that 13th forward/5th C spot penciled in IMO. Gaunce doesn't require waivers and I'd imagine they'd prefer him playing lots of minutes in a bigger role in Utica. 

That still also includes risking Grenier on waivers and one of Virtanen/Rodin not making the big club too. 

Like I said, too many bodies. 

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He's got to leap frog too many guys IMO.

Camp could change things but Zalewski's got that 13th forward/5th C spot penciled in IMO. Gaunce doesn't require waivers and I'd imagine they'd prefer him playing lots of minutes in a bigger role in Utica. 

That still also includes risking Grenier on waivers and one of Virtanen/Rodin not making the big club too. 

Like I said, too many bodies. 

With no new additions there are 9 spots taken - all the vets + Horvat & Baertschi.

It leaves 4 spots available for Gaunce, Rodin, Etem, Granlund, Virtanen, Zalewski, Grenier etc.

This year seems very different from last year - WD has already said that players on the team will need to be able to contribute.  

Granlund hasn't done any better than Gaunce so far and I don't think waivers would play a role.  Granlund was not a blue chip prospect, hasn't shown much yet, and is on a one-way deal for 2 years - doubtful he would be claimed.   Same for the others.  

I think Gaunce has just as much chance as any of the ones listed to make the team.  WD did say he was close to making the team last year.  I could see him as C4 over Granlund.

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, mll said:

With no new additions there are 9 spots taken - all the vets + Horvat & Baertschi.

It leaves 4 spots available for Gaunce, Rodin, Etem, Granlund, Virtanen, Zalewski, Grenier etc.

This year seems very different from last year - WD has already said that players on the team will need to be able to contribute.  

Granlund hasn't done any better than Gaunce so far and I don't think waivers would play a role.  Granlund was not a blue chip prospect, hasn't shown much yet, and is on a one-way deal for 2 years - doubtful he would be claimed.   Same for the others.  

I think Gaunce has just as much chance as any of the ones listed to make the team.  WD did say he was close to making the team last year.  I could see him as C4 over Granlund.

Granlund would get claimed IMO. Gaunce and Virtanen are the only two who don't require waivers with Grenier the only guy I think might actually pass (and even then there's some risk). 

Etem also made good strides at the end of the year, short of him falling off a cliff, I expect him on the team.

We're quickly getting in to 'Dumb and Dumber' territory for his chances of making the big club. I mean a LOT would have to go his way for him to get a spot. It's not impossible but...

giphy.gif

Virtanen would have to look not ready and  Rodin maybe on a conditioning stint for him to even get a look at the beginning of the year (that 12th spot is one of theirs IMO). And if Rodin is capable after that...he's back down. Otherwise he's looking at one of Etem or Burrows to just crap the bed.

Slim chances.

42 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Granlund would get claimed IMO. Gaunce and Virtanen are the only two who don't require waivers with Grenier the only guy I think might actually pass (and even then there's some risk). 

Etem also made good strides at the end of the year, short of him falling off a cliff, I expect him on the team.

We're quickly getting in to 'Dumb and Dumber' territory for his chances of making the big club. I mean a LOT would have to go his way for him to get a spot. It's not impossible but...

giphy.gif

Virtanen would have to look not ready and  Rodin maybe on a conditioning stint for him to even get a look at the beginning of the year (that 12th spot is one of theirs IMO). And if Rodin is capable after that...he's back down. Otherwise he's looking at one of Etem or Burrows to just crap the bed.

Slim chances.

I do expect Etem on the team.  Virtanen too despite many seeing him in Utica.  I think it's unclear between the remaining ones though.  There are two spots available unless they add a vet - in which case only 1.

Granlund has really not shown anything yet. I don't see a team claiming him - I've listed my reasons above already.  An undersized player who does not have any standout skills, who struggles in face-offs (36% only in the o-zone/neutral-zone) - I don't see much interest.   I think it's going to be close between Gaunce and Granlund for C4 (probably different line definitions).  

WD is under a lot of pressure to win - so he's not going to push for Granlund if he's not putting up points - he demoted Vey for Cracknell.  Gaunce should at least bring physicality and can wear down opponents on a heavy defensive 4th line.  It's an if - I am not sold on Gaunce either - he has a tendency to stop skating and not always use his size.  But I don't think it's as clear cut as you make it out to be. 

For the opportunities received Granlund has been rather uninspiring.  All through March he has played with Baertschi who WD has regularly singled out as someone playing well and making things happen and there's nothing on the scoresheet.  Granlund has still some ways to go to find his mark/scoring touch in the NHL.  Fwiw they've only combined for 2 goals spread over two seasons in the AHL so it's not as if they have past chemistry.

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, mll said:

I do expect Etem on the team.  Virtanen too despite many seeing him in Utica.  I think it's unclear between the remaining ones though.  There are two spots available unless they add a vet - in which case only 1.

Granlund has really not shown anything yet. I don't see a team claiming him - I've listed my reasons above already.  An undersized player who does not have any standout skills, who struggles in face-offs (36% only in the o-zone/neutral-zone) - I don't see much interest.   I think it's going to be close between Gaunce and Granlund.  

WD is under a lot of pressure to win - so he's not going to push for Granlund if he's not putting up points - he demoted Vey for Cracknell.  Gaunce should at least bring physicality and can wear down opponents on a heavy defensive 4th line.  It's an if - I am not sold on Gaunce either - he has a tendency to stop skating and not always use his size.  But I don't think it's as clear cut as you make it out to be. 

For the opportunities received Granlund has been rather uninspiring.  All through March he has played with Baertschi who WD has regularly singled out as someone playing well and making things happen and there's nothing on the scoresheet.  Granlund has still some ways to go to find his mark/scoring touch in the NHL.  Fwiw they've only combined for 2 goals spread over two seasons in the AHL so it's not as if they are the best fit.

I just don't see Gaunce as being head and shoulders better than Granlund for them to risk waiving him and voluntarily losing depth. Both players as you say, have things to work on. Gaunce coming in and 'Huttoning' Granlund isn't likely IMO.

And I think you're flat wrong on him not getting claimed.

I'm hoping Baer's on the 2nd line personally (Eriksson too).

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen

Baer, Sutter, Eriksson

Etem, Horvat, Dorsett

Rodin/Virtanen, Granlund, Burrows

Zalewski

Grenier waived, Gaunce sent down, one of Virt/Rodin battling for that 12th spot. There's really not a lot of space there. And if we sign a UFA...none.

41 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I just don't see Gaunce as being head and shoulders better than Granlund for them to risk waiving him and voluntarily losing depth. Both players as you say, have things to work on. Gaunce coming in and 'Huttoning' Granlund isn't likely IMO.

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen

Baer, Sutter, Eriksson

Etem, Horvat, Dorsett

Zalewski

Grenier waived, Gaunce sent down, one of Virt/Rodin battling for that 12th spot. There's really not a lot of space there. And if we sign a UFA...none.

I don't think Granlund would be claimed but I understand the reasoning.  Neither are above the other and if the team is worried to lose Granlund they might favour him over Gaunce.   I just don't see any reason to be.  I think there'll be some yo-yoing between both leagues this year for some of the younger players.

I like your lines.  

Not sure about Dorsett with Horvat but I guess among those available probably the best option and they did play very well together to finish the season.  There'll be a fair bit of shuffling anyway - so many question marks this season.  Hopefully some entertaining hockey to watch in all this with the young guys contributing.    

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Not sure about Dorsett with Horvat but I guess among those available probably the best option and they did play very well together to finish the season.     

I'd LOVE to put Hansen there but that would require another top 6 forward which we have in short supply presently.

Etem, Horvat, Hansen... :wub:

Maybe Rodin will surprise...

Hands-Fingers-Crossed.jpg

Edited by J.R.

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'd LOVE to put Hansen there but that would require another top 6 forward which we have in short supply presently.

Etem, Horvat, Hansen... :wub:

Maybe Rodin will surprise...

Ditto - hence 'available'.

I do wonder how long they'll be able to keep Baertschi-Horvat separate though but that's not a Gaunce discussion.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen

Baer, Sutter, Eriksson

Etem, Horvat, Dorsett

Zalewski

I think your top 6 is likely although I see Hanson/Eriksson interchangeable. I like the idea of Baer having a sniper like Eriksson to set up. No way I see Dorsett on a 3rd line other than thru injury. If Rodin makes the line up he gets the RW 3rd line. To me both Burrows and Dorsett are on the TOI bubble and on the trade bubble leading up to the TDL. For that to happen a couple of the young players will have to take it from them.

I like that you mentioned Zalewski's name. IMHO he has more chance of sticking than Grenier. Virt and Gaunce can be moved up and down which could be the case as Etem, Rodin and Granlund get a close look as decisions are made.  

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think your top 6 is likely although I see Hanson/Eriksson interchangeable. I like the idea of Baer having a sniper like Eriksson to set up. No way I see Dorsett on a 3rd line other than thru injury. If Rodin makes the line up he gets the RW 3rd line. To me both Burrows and Dorsett are on the TOI bubble and on the trade bubble leading up to the TDL. For that to happen a couple of the young players will have to take it from them.

I like that you mentioned Zalewski's name. IMHO he has more chance of sticking than Grenier. Virt and Gaunce can be moved up and down which could be the case as Etem, Rodin and Granlund get a close look as decisions are made.  

I don't see Rodin with Horvat at all. Same story as WD not wanting Baer on that line if possible as they don't have overly complimentary play styles. If he makes it, it's either miraculously top 6 (not likely) or a sheltered 'offensive' 4th line with Granlund IMO.

Say what you want about Dors but he pairs well with Horvat and he's the best we've got given the makeup WD wants for that line (counter attacking, tenacious puck pursuit) unless we can find someone to bump Hansen down to that spot. Or perhaps if Virtanen comes out looking BEAST. That said, I doubt they go with that much youth on Horvat's line (Etem, Horvat, Virtanen). Maybe Burr and Dorsett swap but at this point I think Dorsett's speed trumps Burrows there.

People need to lower their expectations with Rodin as well IMO...

Regardless, Gaunce is in tough to crack that.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen

Baer, Sutter, Eriksson

Etem, Horvat, Dorsett

Zalewski

Rodin is apparently coming to camp injured still, so I doubt he makes the roster since he isn't 100%. Virtanen should (he probably won't, but he should) get time in the AHL to develop (especially his offensive game) now that he's old enough. 

That opens a spot for Gaunce on the 4th line.

Just now, Where's Wellwood said:

Rodin is apparently coming to camp injured still, so I doubt he makes the roster since he isn't 100%. Virtanen should (he probably won't, but he should) get time in the AHL to develop (especially his offensive game) now that he's old enough. 

That opens a spot for Gaunce on the 4th line.

So they're just going to let Rodin go back to Europe before he heals up and they see what they have?

As I said earlier:

Virtanen would have to look not ready and  Rodin maybe on a conditioning stint for him to even get a look at the beginning of the year (that 12th spot is one of theirs IMO). And if Rodin is capable after that...he's back down.

That's pretty much Gaunce's only shot. Pass Virtanen on the depth chart and hope Rodin craps the bed.

Just now, J.R. said:

So they're just going to let Rodin go back to Europe before he heals up and they see what they have?

As I said earlier:

That's pretty much Gaunce's only shot. Pass Virtanen on the depth chart and hope Rodin craps the bed.

Is Rodin ineligible or unwilling for the AHL? Or is it a clearing waivers issue?

1 minute ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Is Rodin ineligible or unwilling for the AHL? Or is it a clearing waivers issue?

He'd have to pass waivers AND I believe he has a 'go back to Europe' clause. The conditioning stint might be a realistic way to temporarily get around both of those but it's not a long term solution.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

1)Virtanen would have to look not ready and  2)Rodin maybe on a conditioning stint for him to even get a look at the beginning of the year (that 12th spot is one of theirs IMO). And if Rodin is capable after that...he's back down. 

1) I think its the play with the puck that Virtanen needs to develop at the AHL. Of course Virt will be ready physically, but we want him to be more than a banger at the NHL level.

2) I think this is very likely.

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He'd have to pass waivers AND I believe he has a 'go back to Europe' clause. The conditioning stint might be a realistic way to temporarily get around both of those but it's not a long term solution.

The last 3 golden helmet winners have not been able to establish themselves in the NHL so it's not going to get teams to suddenly be interested in him - he has no NHL experience.  Last year the KHL leading goal scorer Moses passed waivers seamlessly.

The situation with Rodin is unusual because he's not established so they are going to need to develop him but he is likely going to be a UFA at the end of the season.  He needs 80 NHL games to remain an RFA (same for Grenier but he needs 74 games).  Only two players played the full season last year. 

It's hard to know how they are going to approach it - as there is no guarantee that he wants to remain a Canuck.  I think that if he is not ready to contribute - they could well send him to Utica and have him find his game there. 

4 minutes ago, mll said:

The last 3 golden helmet winners have not been able to establish themselves in the NHL so it's not going to get teams to suddenly be interested in him - he has no NHL experience.  Last year the KHL leading goal scorer Moses passed waivers seamlessly.

The situation with Rodin is unusual because he's not established so they are going to need to develop him but he is likely going to be a UFA at the end of the season.  He needs 80 NHL games to remain an RFA (same for Grenier but he needs 74 games).  Only two players played the full season last year. 

It's hard to know how they are going to approach it - as there is no guarantee that he wants to remain a Canuck.  I think that if he is not ready to contribute - they could well send him to Utica and have him find his game there. 

He just goes back to Europe. 

It's ether NHL or SHL for him (barring a short conditioning stint).

Edited by J.R.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen

Baer, Sutter, Eriksson

Etem, Horvat, Dorsett

I like the first two lines. 

That third is absolutely terrible and would be garbage for Bo's development. 

He needs linemates to help him grow.  

Not two guys that will hold him back. 

I'd rather see burrows on the third with Bo and maybe Virt or a trade with them.  

Just now, drummerboy said:

I like the first two lines. 

That third is absolutely terrible and would be garbage for Bo's development. 

He needs linemates to help him grow.  

Not two guys that will hold him back. 

I'd rather see burrows on the third with Bo and maybe Virt or a trade with them.  

I think Etem will surprise people this year personally. Otherwise:

Say what you want about Dors but he pairs well with Horvat and he's the best we've got given the makeup WD wants for that line (counter attacking, tenacious puck pursuit) unless we can find someone to bump Hansen down to that spot. Or perhaps if Virtanen comes out looking BEAST. That said, I doubt they go with that much youth on Horvat's line (Etem, Horvat, Virtanen). Maybe Burr and Dorsett swap but at this point I think Dorsett's speed trumps Burrows there.