The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

59 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

Well slap my belly and call me shirly as id be into a reinhart, you dont need 2 1st line centres!!

now it's a blockbuster

tanev, sbisa/baer, gaunce, a first and a second..

for 

reinhart and kane? 

I dont know if we have enough for reinhart without crippling us elsewhere or giving up the farm so to speak

Usually a team has to draft the Reinhart players, but Tanev is a valuable piece for sure.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Usually a team has to draft the Reinhart players, but Tanev is a valuable piece for sure.

True, but anyone can be traded in the right deal. I think tanev with his showing on team canada, and his constant top 10 in the league play has quietly raised his stock very high. I remember hearing how everyone on team canada was looking up to Tanev whenever things got dicey, or they needed a big shut down. 

Tanev would be a integral part of any team in the league wanting a shot at the cup. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

True, but anyone can be traded in the right deal. I think tanev with his showing on team canada, and his constant top 10 in the league play has quietly raised his stock very high. I remember hearing how everyone on team canada was looking up to Tanev whenever things got dicey, or they needed a big shut down. 

Tanev would be a integral part of any team in the league wanting a shot at the cup. 

I guess trading Tanev for a young (potential) number one centre of Renhart's stature could be something JB looks at?

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I guess trading Tanev for a young (potential) number one centre of Renhart's stature could be something JB looks at?

Well looking at the bigger picture, why not? Tanev is the best commodity we have as a trade chip. We don't have a projected number one right now which is something sorely missing in this organization. the rumour is its a weaker draft this coming year, and even if we hit a homerun that'll still be three years before even a sniff. 

With OJ, Tanev is expendable after this year I think. You may be seeing Tanev put into a couple more offensive roles and then Traded at the deadline if we are looking in at the playoff bubble. 

The question at that point is how much can we get from a team seeing a shot at the cup?

1 minute ago, kylecanuck said:

Well looking at the bigger picture, why not? Tanev is the best commodity we have as a trade chip. We don't have a projected number one right now which is something sorely missing in this organization. the rumour is its a weaker draft this coming year, and even if we hit a homerun that'll still be three years before even a sniff. 

With OJ, Tanev is expendable after this year I think. You may be seeing Tanev put into a couple more offensive roles and then Traded at the deadline if we are looking in at the playoff bubble. 

The question at that point is how much can we get from a team seeing a shot at the cup?

If Tanev does go, it has to be for a young (potential) number one centre.  Oilers Draisatl?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Tanev does go, it has to be for a young (potential) number one centre.  Oilers Draisatl?

Do love Draisatl, and would give a lot to get him. I don't know if I'd want to have Tanev on Edmonton to be honest, even for Draisatl. I like him heading towards Buffalo for Reinhart in a digger deal. Im also a fan of the Canadian number one centerman so im biased 

Love Henrik but damn do we need more pushback and fire from a number one C. 

Edited by kylecanuck
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

Do love Draisatl, and would give a lot to get him. I don't know if I'd want to have Tanev on Edmonton to be honest, even for Draisatl. I like him heading towards Buffalo for Reinhart in a digger deal. Im also a fan of the Canadian number one centerman so im biased 

Love Henrik but damn do we need more pushback and fire from a number one C. 

Bo?

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bo?

Bo is currently our best shot at a number 1, and it isn't imposible at all in my opinion. If horvat taps out at 50 points, He is Tapping out at number 1 for is career. High number two on a cup team? 

Taking a quick look at the top two teams from each division, taking the top three point producers on each team you will get between 170 and about 215 points. 

Question is could could this line gel? 

Boeser - 75 points

Horvat - 50 points

Virtanan - 60 points

185 points

currently this top line would be enough to get your team into the playoffs. Lots of ifs and what nots but that would be a big, fast, heavy and skilled line in four years. 

Edited by kylecanuck

31 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

Bo is currently our best shot at a number 1, and it isn't imposible at all in my opinion. If horvat taps out at 50 points, He is Tapping out at number 1 for is career. High number two on a cup team? 

Taking a quick look at the top two teams from each division, taking the top three point producers on each team you will get between 170 and about 215 points. 

Question is could could this line gel? 

Boeser - 75 points

Horvat - 50 points

Virtanan - 60 points

185 points

currently this top line would be enough to get your team into the playoffs. Lots of ifs and what nots but that would be a big, fast, heavy and skilled line in four years. 

Horvat's ceiling is not at 50 points.  Heck, he got 40 playing on a line with guys who had no right playing on a second line, and some of the season even playing on the 3rd. 

Give him a couple years more experience and better linemates, and 60+ points should absolutely be in reach on the second line.  I believe that is around his ceiling, but it is entirely possible he does develop into a legit 1st liner as well. If we are so lucky to have that occur, it would help our rebuild a ton. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, kylecanuck said:

I'm not sure that's the case. Pretty sure OJ's arrival makes no impact in fact. Guddy's appearance means we have two bonafide good right side D. We still have to establish a 3rd? Having a (needed) PP captain and puck mover on the left side arrive does little to suggest we're in a position of strength to move Tanev. 

I have to admit if Reinhart were available for Tanev, I'd seriously consider it.  But you have to realise in doing so we would be recreating a big hole somewhere else. Considering the objectives clearly stated by JB/TL about being as solid as possible, just my own opinion, I seriously doubt we pursue such a move.

Summer rumours of a deal with Tanev probably were surrounding Subban, another right side D where such a hole is also immediately filled with an upgrade.

Back on topic, sort of, if Gaunce makes the team out of camp, and we still have Sutter, a trade of Bo to a team for a young offensive centre might make some sense? The question is, and I don't think the answer is positive, can Gaunce play well enough Bo is expendable?

3 hours ago, kylecanuck said:

I like to give base predictions for players so there is less freaking out about the numbers. 

If Horvat manages 60 plus points then I have to direct him to the player I want yo compare him to most. Toews has only hit 70 points once in his career and is arguably the best Canadian player in hockey for a number of years. This is because he can do everything, he leads, he has tremendous character and is still reserved and quiet. 

Sounds like what Bo is shaping up for no?

Sid the kid still reigns supreme. Imagine him on those hawks rosters which won the cup

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'm not sure that's the case. Pretty sure OJ's arrival makes no impact in fact. Guddy's appearance means we have two bonafide good right side D. We still have to establish a 3rd? Having a (needed) PP captain and puck mover on the left side arrive does little to suggest we're in a position of strength to move Tanev. 

I have to admit if Reinhart were available for Tanev, I'd seriously consider it.  But you have to realise in doing so we would be recreating a big hole somewhere else. Considering the objectives clearly stated by JB/TL about being as solid as possible, just my own opinion, I seriously doubt we pursue such a move.

Summer rumours of a deal with Tanev probably were surrounding Subban, another right side D where such a hole is also immediately filled with an upgrade.

)0

Back on topic, sort of, if kfO makes •the team out of camp, and w.e still have Sutter, a trade of Bo to a team for a young offensive centre >z@

I hear what you're saying and I agree that it would leave a hole. Im just saying if we aren't going to make the playoffs next year it might be viable. Ya it'll hurt but how many years do you think Tanev has left at his current pace?

He is 26 now, so at or entering his peak. He isn't the fastest skater, he can't shoot, and he doesnt excite. Lose a step in the faster pace nhl and he might drop down the chart. 

Hutton - Gudbranson

OJ - tryamkin

i see this is our future top four, yes im putting a lot of faith in The big tree but with bis size and skating ability he is a lock in the NHL in my opinion. Top four maybe a stretch but it might not be that big of a stretch by the following season? Maybe? 

For or me its a no on trading big Bo as well, would rather have his 60 points plus D. An extra 20 points isn't worth what we would be loosing out on. 

Edited by kylecanuck

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe the reason we haven't signed a large left winger is the 4th line Centre/LW job is Gaunce's to lose in training camp? 

I would guess that unless they found a solution close to ideal?

Gaunce is indeed probably pencilled in as 4c/5c and simultaneously 3lw/4lw depending on the need of the day.

And if JB holds to form playing Horvat in more defensive deployments?  A third line of 

Gaunce - Horvat - Burrows (or Hansen)

makes a lot of sense...

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe the reason we haven't signed a large left winger is the 4th line Centre/LW job is Gaunce's to lose in training camp? 

I don't think one has anything to do with the other. I also think that barring him out playing all of Virtanen, Rodin and Burrows, he's likely in Utica.