The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yeah, people need to realize that this guy addressed his skating issues a couple of years ago.  Always encouraging to see a young player target areas for improvement and get the job done.  It's the Sedin way. Unless Granlund has done the same, you're looking at this year's 4C, once the dust settles.

Gaunce ABSOLUTELY makes the opening night roster.  Then, he works his way up our lineup and becomes that much needed top six forward we are looking for.  ::D

Alf really likes this player now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Gaunce ABSOLUTELY makes the opening night roster.  Then, he works his way up our lineup and becomes that much needed top six forward we are looking for.  ::D

Alf really likes this player now.

Alf is impressionable. Yes, I want Gaunce to get at least 40 games with the Canucks this season.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Alf is impressionable. Yes, I want Gaunce to get at least 40 games with the Canucks this season.

Alf is simple, but extraordinarily cute. 

Gaunce  has really worked hard at his game, so he can make the NHL.  He has skill too.  I see a big, very smart power forward.  Sure if he studied MMA and took steroids he would be better ( like some other players in that role might be doing) but I see Gaunce able to get by without cheating, because of his smarts.

• Upvote 1

It’s mind over matter as versatile Gaunce pushes for roster spot

gaunce.jpg?quality=60&strip=all&w=302&h=

BEN KUZMA
Published: September 12, 2016
Updated: September 12, 2016 5:08 PM PDT
Filed Under:
The Province Sports Hockey Vancouver Canucks

Timing is everything and it may finally be right for Brendan Gaunce.

There was a time when the Vancouver Canucks weren’t sure Brendan Gaunce was going to be a player. And there was a time when the versatile forward was in awe of the National Hockey League.

Not anymore. No more wide eyes. More like a steely-eyed resolve.

Not only is Gaunce physically and mentally prepared for a serious roster shot after being one of the final camp cuts last year, his ability to play centre or either wing and bring a better compete level caught the eye of Canucks coach Willie Desjardins.

The 6-foot-2, 207-pound 2012 first-round draft pick has always had the size, but not the edge to project as a consistent bottom-six performer at the NHL level. It’s what brought about the switch from centre to the wing in the minors and made a major improvement in his game because his frame and feistiness are perfectly suited for the Pacific Division.

gaunce-jpeg-3-0.jpg?w=300&quality=60&str

And while you could pencil the 22-year-old Gaunce into the opening-night lineup — or bring out the eraser and see him as the 13th forward or back with the Utica Comets — one thing is clear: Gaunce finally gets it on and off the ice.

It wasn’t just making his NHL debut in October at Dallas and scoring his first career goal the next night in Arizona. It wasn’t amassing five shots in a March game at Winnipeg or even playing 20 games at this level. It was about the calm resolve that developed in knowing he can perform properly in a demanding market. It’s a stark departure from hoping to play and giving the opposition too much respect.
Last year was a big mindset change for me,” Gaunce said Monday following an informal skate at Rogers Arena. “It’s not ‘I think I can do it’ anymore, it’s ‘I know I can do it.’ That was a big thing to get over and I’m ready for it.

“I’m a lot more confident in myself and that’s going to help. That time at the end of the season made me feel like I’m a part of the NHL now and not just watching form the outskirts.”

Gaunce endured injury problems from November to January, playing with a cast on his thumb for four weeks after falling. Playing defence-first comes naturally to him and it will make him more valuable in the NHL. As for the goal scoring, it’s an ongoing process and Gaunce isn’t the first 30-goal junior sniper who has had to tailor his game for the pros.
Bring a 200-foot game and an attitude and Desjardins will punch your ticket to the NHL. Anything less and it’s Utica again.

What also helps Gaunce is knowing the Canucks must trend younger and that the tough tutelage he got with the Comets under coach Travis Green was worth the grind. His 17 goals in 46 AHL games with the Comets and his plus-12 rating both ranked third on the club, which speaks to productivity and responsibility. It’s also why Green was interviewed for NHL coaching vacancies in Anaheim and Colorado.

“He (Green) really pushes you to be a complete player and help your team win in different ways,” added Gaunce. “He was good for me for that and he also respects you when you do things well. If you work hard, you get ice.”

In the final year of his entry-level deal, you would expect Gaunce to be feeling some level of pressure. Even though his age, size and versatility suggest a no-brainer extension, you never know how it could play out. The fact Gaunce hasn’t even thought about it, speaks to growing maturity.

“It’s not pressure, it’s more excitement,” he stressed. “It’s having a chance to prove yourself and that can pay off at the end of the year and something you can build on. It’s going to be a fun year.”

You can picture Gaunce being a third- or fourth-line left-winger. You can also picture a lot of scenarios depending on camp performances, priorities and injuries. Gaunce doesn’t picture anything, even though there are so many floppable wingers. How the left side plays out could be intriguing.

“I’m just worrying about myself,” he said. “Every guy just needs a chance and that’s how you break into the league. I’m trying to work for my chance and not just get one for free out of the blue. I think I’ve done that and I can help the team win in a lot of different ways.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/its-mind-over-matter-as-versatile-gaunce-pushes-for-roster-spot

I think he's going to come into training camp with full of  confidence , with fire in his belly, and have an outstanding showing . Will it be enough to crack the roster, we shall find out.  

• Upvote 3

@AlwaysACanuckFan: thanks for the share ^^

It's not a question of "if" anymore but "when" Gaunce will become a regular NHL player IMO. Hopefully it's soon, hopefully as a Canuck, and hopefully for many years in Vancouver.

He's up against a roster crunch this season (and his waivers exemption does him no favours here) but I can't imagine Gaunce not being a mainstay in our bottom six by 2017-18 (unless he's traded).

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

No more wide eyes. 

It wasn’t just making his NHL debut in October at Dallas and scoring his first career goal the next night in Arizona. It wasn’t amassing five shots in a March game at Winnipeg or even playing 20 games at this level. It was about the calm resolve that developed in knowing he can perform properly in a demanding market. It’s a stark departure from hoping to play and giving the opposition too much respect.
Last year was a big mindset change for me,” Gaunce said Monday following an informal skate at Rogers Arena. “It’s not ‘I think I can do it’ anymore, it’s ‘I know I can do it.’ 

Gaunce endured injury problems from November to January, playing with a cast on his thumb for four weeks after falling. Playing defence-first comes naturally to him and it will make him more valuable in the NHL. As for the goal scoring, it’s an ongoing process and Gaunce isn’t the first 30-goal junior sniper who has had to tailor his game for the pros.
Bring a 200-foot game and an attitude and Desjardins will punch your ticket to the NHL. Anything less and it’s Utica again.

What also helps Gaunce is knowing the Canucks must trend younger and that the tough tutelage he got with the Comets under coach Travis Green was worth the grind. His 17 goals in 46 AHL games with the Comets and his plus-12 rating both ranked third on the club, which speaks to productivity and responsibility. It’s also why Green was interviewed for NHL coaching vacancies in Anaheim and Colorado.

“He (Green) really pushes you to be a complete player and help your team win in different ways,” added Gaunce. “He was good for me for that and he also respects you when you do things well. If you work hard, you get ice.”

In the final year of his entry-level deal, you would expect Gaunce to be feeling some level of pressure. 

“It’s not pressure, it’s more excitement,” he stressed. “It’s having a chance to prove yourself and that can pay off at the end of the year and something you can build on. It’s going to be a fun year.”

You can picture Gaunce being a third- or fourth-line left-winger. You can also picture a lot of scenarios depending on camp performances, priorities and injuries. Gaunce doesn’t picture anything, even though there are so many floppable wingers. How the left side plays out could be intriguing.

“I’m just worrying about myself,” he said. “Every guy just needs a chance and that’s how you break into the league. I’m trying to work for my chance and not just get one for free out of the blue. I think I’ve done that and I can help the team win in a lot of different ways.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/its-mind-over-matter-as-versatile-gaunce-pushes-for-roster-spot

I think he's going to come into training camp with full of  confidence , with fire in his belly, and have an outstanding showing . Will it be enough to crack the roster, we shall find out.  

Hmm Gaunce's success is related to Green's success in a way as stated, never thought of that before. It reminds me about when coaches move on they will often reach back and bring players with them where ever they go. Which is what Green will probably do with Gaunce when he gets a head coaching gig somewhere. ie trade for him.

• Upvote 1

I like that he's confident and ready to accept the role that will be given to him. He's doing a good job of becoming excellent at every facet that the organization calls him to.

I hope that role doesn't create a ceiling for him though. His production was coming along nicely in the AHL, I'm not ready to simply cap expectations for him to only, ever be a bottom six forward. 

I hope he can slowly grow into a 40-50 point middle six guy.

12 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

@AlwaysACanuckFan: thanks for the share ^^

It's not a question of "if" anymore but "when" Gaunce will become a regular NHL player IMO. Hopefully it's soon, hopefully as a Canuck, and hopefully for many years in Vancouver.

He's up against a roster crunch this season (and his waivers exemption does him no favours here) but I can't imagine Gaunce not being a mainstay in our bottom six by 2017-18 (unless he's traded).

There are so many 'ifs' in the Canuck roster this year that I suspect Gaunce gets a real shot pending any surprises from other players. Since I do not expect a playoff result I can see a lot of Utica players getting ice. That said I would not be surprised to see Gaunce in the starting lineup. His waiver exemption does make it easy to send him down as they assess their players who cannot be waived.

On September 13, 2016 at 0:12 PM, Boudrias said:

There are so many 'ifs' in the Canuck roster this year that I suspect Gaunce gets a real shot pending any surprises from other players. Since I do not expect a playoff result I can see a lot of Utica players getting ice. That said I would not be surprised to see Gaunce in the starting lineup. His waiver exemption does make it easy to send him down as they assess their players who cannot be waived.

Watch them keep Gaunce, send down Granlund, and lose the latter to waiver claims. 

Interesting closing statement from Gaunce in his Kenward interview.

The other 3 players were all asked what their goals and intentions were now and all three gave the standard answers while Gaunce said he would "be keeping that to himself"

I can't think of any scenario where he could not answer that question unless he has been taking MMA and he intends to beat the crap out of someone at the earliest possible opportunity. (that might be worth keeping to himself I suppose :) )

What are the expectations for Gaunce this year? It is interesting to look back in this thread, most people in the months and years after he was drafted thought he was a bonafide 3rd line center and would have made the roster by now. What happened?! I hope that his development is not totally ruined. He seems like a very smart player, just not quick enough at times to make a true difference in the game. When you can't back up your smarts with athleticism it doesn't look good. 

9 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

What are the expectations for Gaunce this year? It is interesting to look back in this thread, most people in the months and years after he was drafted thought he was a bonafide 3rd line center and would have made the roster by now. What happened?! I hope that his development is not totally ruined. He seems like a very smart player, just not quick enough at times to make a true difference in the game. When you can't back up your smarts with athleticism it doesn't look good. 

The only thing holding Gaunce back is his being waiver exempt.   His skating is much improved and he's ready to make the jump.  We'll see him as the #1 call up for injuries and a permanent member of the team by trade deadline.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The only thing holding Gaunce back is his being waiver exempt.   His skating is much improved and he's ready to make the jump.  We'll see him as the #1 call up for injuries and a permanent member of the team by trade deadline.

Why don't you think he will make the team out of camp? If he were truly ready than JB would make room for him. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

Why don't you think he will make the team out of camp? If he were truly ready than JB would make room for him. 

Only because he would displace a regular, who would have to be traded or go through waivers.  I guess it will depend on who that player is and what the team has in mind.  Kind of a nice dilemma for the team as it means they have some depth in the bottom 6.

36 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Only because he would displace a regular, who would have to be traded or go through waivers.  I guess it will depend on who that player is and what the team has in mind.  Kind of a nice dilemma for the team as it means they have some depth in the bottom 6.

It also depends a lot on the type of player Gaunce potentially displaces. If he played his way into a top-9 spot, I'm sure Benning does whatever is needed to make room for him. But if it's a 4th line role, or "replacement level," then things get tricky.

Do you expose another player to waivers that you hope to keep in the system, just to get a marginal upgrade from Gaunce at a 4th line position? And does a 4th line role, (or possibly a spare/13th forward role) help Gaunce more than him playing first or second line in Utica?

How much value is there in getting Gaunce minimal NHL minutes for the start of the season? Does this really help him? Does it help the team (versus the risk of losing a decent depth player on waivers)?

These are the types of questions Benning will have to answer.

That's why he gets paid the big bucks and gets to sit at the head of the management table.

• Upvote 2