The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 9:20 PM, Crabcakes said:

Gaunce is definitely going to be one of the more interesting young players to watch this year.  It's definitely show us time.

He must know that they want him to play more physically with the size he has.  To date, he seems to be a smart player who makes himself effective with his brains and his size is just a thing that keeps him from being dominated physically.

As a winger, he would be a similar type to Etem.  As a centre, it's harder for me to find him a place in the line up.

I think that as a 1st round pick, he always saw himself as a top 6 player who relied more on skill and intellect and not on brute force.  Whereas, I think the Canucks would rather see him bring all 3 as he will most certainly begin his career in a bottom 6 role.  It sometimes takes a little time before a player is comfortable throwing his weight around in the NHL particularly when that is not the style of play he has had in the past.

Either way, he's going to have to distinguish himself this year in a way that he hasn't done in the past.  Time to step forward.

On the old Habs teams the rookies always started on the 4th line and worked their way up if they developed a scoring touch. I would be absolutely stoked if Gaunce could play the season as 4C or 4LW. Gaunce-Etem-Virtanen-Horvat all 200 pounds+ playing up front. When you look at the opposition this is almost a necessity.

On 01/09/2016 at 3:27 AM, aqua59 said:
On 01/09/2016 at 3:27 AM, aqua59 said:

There is going to be some interesting battles this up coming training camp. This is Guances time regardless. He's done filling out and would be coming to camp primed.

I am still hoping he turns into our third line center. The problem is that, right now, we're crowded at that position. 

I could also see a fit for him on a wing but I don't see a center that he could work well with. He needs to be in a crash and bash role and that's a line we lack. I would like to see him as the center of such a line but, for now, I don't see such a line materializing, with what we have. 

I do see him having an important role on our team but I think other situations, on our current roster, have to work themselves out first ( ie. Etem, Rodin, Burrows ).

Edited by komodo0921

9 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

The fact that Gaunce, at the age of 22, knows how he's going to stick in the NHL shows how incredibly mature and intelligent he is. 

These young kids are taught how to 'talk the talk' before they even get a sniff at the NHL. Watch the WJC interviews to get a gut full of the 'speak'. I feel sorry for many of them as they are being used by media, agents and coaches.

All that aside my take on Gaunce is that he is pretty level headed. I do think he will make it

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

These young kids are taught how to 'talk the talk' before they even get a sniff at the NHL. Watch the WJC interviews to get a gut full of the 'speak'. I feel sorry for many of them as they are being used by media, agents and coaches.

All that aside my take on Gaunce is that he is pretty level headed. I do think he will make it

I know what you're saying, but like you mentioned, Gaunce is much more even-keel that your average 19-23 year old. Having spent time with Green in Utica, I think he truly realises that he can make a huge impact on the game while playing a defensive role, and have a long career. Being as young as he is, that's a promising start. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fantomex said:

I know what you're saying, but like you mentioned, Gaunce is much more even-keel that your average 19-23 year old. Having spent time with Green in Utica, I think he truly realises that he can make a huge impact on the game while playing a defensive role, and have a long career. Being as young as he is, that's a promising start. 

When I mentioned coaches I was thinking more of the junior ones. I do think that both Green and Desjardin are straight shooters. I always like a coach like Green who has played NHL and certainly has a clear idea on a personal level what it takes. Desjardin is known for being a players coach where ever he has been.

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

If he doesn't play tough, hard to play against, and heavy he won't stick.  Now, is that in his personality?

not sure I agree...you were bringing up malhotra recently...malhotra wasn't any of those things (in a traditional understanding a big, bruising defensive forward) but was extremely effective.

i don't think gaunce's game is going to look like malhotra's, he just doesn't have malhotra's foot speed.

on the other hand, he could have a similar IQ and team-first attitude and eventually become very effective too. and he does have some of the size and ability to lean on people, even if he doesn't seem to have that killer/tenacious personality.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, nzan said:

not sure I agree...you were bringing up malhotra recently...malhotra wasn't any of those things (in a traditional understanding a big, bruising defensive forward) but was extremely effective.

i don't think gaunce's game is going to look like malhotra's, he just doesn't have malhotra's foot speed.

on the other hand, he could have a similar IQ and team-first attitude and eventually become very effective too. and he does have some of the size and ability to lean on people, even if he doesn't seem to have that killer/tenacious personality.

Manny did play a heavy game.  He used his body very effectively, which meant him taking a lot of body contact.  I think of a hard to play against heavy tough game as straight lines, winning board battles, and challenging your opponent to go through you for every inch of ice.  Manny played like that, making him hard to play against.  IMHAO, Gaunce needs to play like that too.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Manny did play a heavy game.  He used his body very effectively, which meant him taking a lot of body contact.  I think of a hard to play against heavy tough game as straight lines, winning board battles, and challenging your opponent to go through you for every inch of ice.  Manny played like that, making him hard to play against.  IMHAO, Gaunce needs to play like that too.  

hmmm...it seems our definition of a heavy, tough player are similar...but different memories of Manny's game.

I would have said that his speed and intelligence were the key contributors to his defensive effectiveness; i don't remember him being tough, but perhaps that was a misread on my part.

i honestly think that Gaunce will be a tougher, heavier player than Manny was (or at least my recollection of Manny). he could still turn out to be a better scorer too. and he could have just as much intelligence and team-first attitude. but he certainly won't have the speed.

• Upvote 1

On 8/31/2016 at 9:20 PM, Crabcakes said:

Gaunce is definitely going to be one of the more interesting young players to watch this year.  It's definitely show us time.

He must know that they want him to play more physically with the size he has.  To date, he seems to be a smart player who makes himself effective with his brains and his size is just a thing that keeps him from being dominated physically.

As a winger, he would be a similar type to Etem.  As a centre, it's harder for me to find him a place in the line up.

I think that as a 1st round pick, he always saw himself as a top 6 player who relied more on skill and intellect and not on brute force.  Whereas, I think the Canucks would rather see him bring all 3 as he will most certainly begin his career in a bottom 6 role.  It sometimes takes a little time before a player is comfortable throwing his weight around in the NHL particularly when that is not the style of play he has had in the past.

Either way, he's going to have to distinguish himself this year in a way that he hasn't done in the past.  Time to step forward.

He seems to be a pretty relaxed calm player, like Tanev. From what I saw of him in utica last season, he showed that he has the skill to be a top 6 guy one day. Shink got all the hype.  and Gaunce was barely mentioned. I think he will start bottom 6 and surprise a lot of people as soon as this season. He reminds me of JVR. When Shink got traded cdc had a cow, but I think if we would have kept him Gaunce would have been moved.People really underestimate jb If Guance ends up not becoming a top 6 he has all the tools to be a very good bottom 6. Shink was as we all know will either be a top 6 or destined for Bulgaria lol. Funny thing is Gaunce put up similar numbers to shink, and ifd you watch most of his points were the result of gaunce. And we Got granny who is still only 23 and is pretty good from what I saw.

• Upvote 1

On 9/2/2016 at 4:03 PM, Boudrias said:

On the old Habs teams the rookies always started on the 4th line and worked their way up if they developed a scoring touch. I would be absolutely stoked if Gaunce could play the season as 4C or 4LW. Gaunce-Etem-Virtanen-Horvat all 200 pounds+ playing up front. When you look at the opposition this is almost a necessity.

We're full of bottom 6 depth currently, but hopefully all 3 of Gaunce, Etem, and Virtanen get regular spots on the team like Horvat. 

Daniel - Henrik - Eriksson

Baertschi - Sutter - Hansen

Burrows - Horvat - Virtanen

Etem - Gaunce - Dorsett

Granlund? Rodin?

Maybe Virtanen is sent to the AHL, and Granlund jumps up to 4LW or even 3LW with Burrows on 3RW? And even then there's the issue of SHL MVP Rodin and where he will play.

I dispute the statement made above that suggested Gaunce lacked pace. That was certainly not the impression I got. Some of these goals mark him out as a bit special and at 49sec of the video he may not be "Hansen fast" but he doesn't look like he lacks pace.

His vision and awareness of what is around him is imo top drawer.

It strikes me if we do not make a good 2nd/3rd NHL player out of Gaunce someone has screwed up. The guy has nearly every attribute (except maybe using his size more but that must surely come)

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 3

On 2016-09-09 at 1:35 PM, alfstonker said:

I dispute the statement made above that suggested Gaunce lacked pace. That was certainly not the impression I got. Some of these goals mark him out as a bit special and at 49sec of the video he may not be "Hansen fast" but he doesn't look like he lacks pace.

His vision and awareness of what is around him is imo top drawer.

It strikes me if we do not make a good 2nd/3rd NHL player out of Gaunce someone has screwed up. The guy has nearly every attribute (except maybe using his size more but that must surely come)

Yeah, people need to realize that this guy addressed his skating issues a couple of years ago.  Always encouraging to see a young player target areas for improvement and get the job done.  It's the Sedin way. Unless Granlund has done the same, you're looking at this year's 4C, once the dust settles.

• Upvote 1