The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He just goes back to Europe. 

It's ether NHL or SHL for him (barring a short conditioning stint).

If he wants to be an NHLer - he'll go to Utica to find his game.  It's not going to do him any good to just sit on the bench in Vancouver if he's not contributing.  Not sure they would want that either - circumstances are a bit different with a pending UFA vs an RFA.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

If he wants to be an NHLer - he'll go to Utica to find his game.  It's not going to do him any good to just sit on the bench in Vancouver if he's not contributing.  Not sure they would want that either - circumstances are a bit different with a pending UFA vs an RFA.  

That's where the conditioning stint may be handy.

That said a lot will depend on just how close he is or isn't. If he's still a year + away from the NHL, he goes back to the SHL IMO.

11 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That's where the conditioning stint may be handy.

That said a lot will depend on just how close he is or isn't. If he's still a year + away from the NHL, he goes back to the SHL IMO.

Conditioning stint might be a bit too short - it's just two weeks.  Assuming he's healthy but just not quite ready to earn a roster spot - I think he would try Utica before just heading back to the SHL.  But as you say readiness will probably play a role in his decision.

7 hours ago, J.R. said:

He's got to leap frog too many guys IMO.

Camp could change things but Zalewski's got that 13th forward/5th C spot penciled in IMO. Gaunce doesn't require waivers and I'd imagine they'd prefer him playing lots of minutes in a bigger role in Utica. 

That still also includes risking Grenier on waivers and one of Virtanen/Rodin not making the big club too. 

Like I said, too many bodies. 

I don't see Gaunce behind Grenier. Or Zalewski. Guess we'll see?

I believe one of Gaunce or Zalewski is a lock as 5C. I mean over the pond here I haven't seen much of the Comets play. I have liked the energy Zalewski plays with. I dont see Grenier stealing Dorsetts role. Or Rodin. We need scoring and I'm tipping the SHL MVP over Alex who I don't think has enough speed. You might have a better feel?  But when I have watched Gaunce has been the more solid player.

Danny Hank Eriksson

Baer Sutter Hansen

Burrows Bo Rodin

Etem Granlund Dorsett

Gaunce               (Jake???)

I do think we will carry only 13 forwards. But? Certainly we'll have a 5th centre on the roster. Even if no one is injured, positional play could & should see Jake the first guy sent down. Who will also get a call up as soon as someone is injured. Or if Rodin is not ready to start. And I could easily see Brendan get 30, 40, 50 games to gain a solid NHL foothold.

8 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I don't see Gaunce behind Grenier. Or Zalewski. Guess we'll see?

I believe one of Gaunce or Zalewski is a lock as 5C. I mean over the pond here I haven't seen much of the Comets play. I have liked the energy Zalewski plays with. I dont see Grenier stealing Dorsetts role. Or Rodin. We need scoring and I'm tipping the SHL MVP over Alex who I don't think has enough speed. You might have a better feel?  But when I have watched Gaunce has been the more solid player.

Danny Hank Eriksson

Baer Sutter Hansen

Burrows Bo Rodin

Etem Granlund Dorsett

Gaunce               (Jake???)

I do think we will carry only 13 forwards. But? Certainly we'll have a 5th centre on the roster. Even if no one is injured, positional play could & should see Jake the first guy sent down. Who will also get a call up as soon as someone is injured. Or if Rodin is not ready to start. And I could easily see Brendan get 30, 40, 50 games to gain a solid NHL foothold.

Behind them? No. But do you want Gaunce sitting in the press box most of the games or playing big minutes in Utica, with zero waivers risk and available for callup?

I agree on Grenier, I think he gets waived and *fingers crossed* passes.

Don't see Rodin as a fit with Horvat personally (outlined in previous post). So again, Rodin has to not cut the mustard and Gaunce has to pass Virtanen to even get a sniff IMO.

Edited by J.R.

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Behind them? No. But do you want Gaunce sitting in the press box most of the games or playing big minutes in Utica and with zero waivers risk?

I agree on Grenier, I think he gets waived and *fingers crossed* passes.

Don't see Rodin as a fit with Horvat personally (outlined in previous post). So again, Rodin has to not cut the mustard and Gaunce has to pass Virtanen to even get a sniff IMO.

Why not Rodin with Bo?  Sutter will be taking the primary D zone lifting.  So we don't have to load size for match ups onto Bo's line. But when do want size we could add Etem? Or Gaunce...

Give them a hard checking left wing, and Anton Rodin who is very slick becomes a guy to help Bo get back up to, hopefully over, 40 points again. He's also a pretty good 2 way forward.  There is no defensive issue.

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

Why not Rodin with Bo?  Sutter will be taking the primary D zone lifting.  So we don't have to load size for match ups onto Bo's line. But when do want size we could add Etem? Or Gaunce...

Give them a hard checking left wing, and Anton Rodin who is very slick becomes a guy to help Bo get back up to, hopefully over, 40 points again. He's also a pretty good 2 way forward.  There is no defensive issue.

I don't see Rodin with Horvat at all. Same story as WD not wanting Baer on that line if possible as they don't have overly complimentary play styles. If he makes it, it's either miraculously top 6 (not likely) or a sheltered 'offensive' 4th line with Granlund IMO.

Say what you want about Dors but he pairs well with Horvat and he's the best we've got given the makeup WD wants for that line (counter attacking, tenacious puck pursuit) unless we can find someone to bump Hansen down to that spot. Or perhaps if Virtanen comes out looking BEAST. That said, I doubt they go with that much youth on Horvat's line (Etem, Horvat, Virtanen). Maybe Burr and Dorsett swap but at this point I think Dorsett's speed trumps Burrows there.

People need to lower their expectations with Rodin as well IMO...

Regardless, Gaunce is in tough to crack that.

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Horvat started with either Dorsett, or Ronalds Kenins the hard checking bear.  That aggressive hard checking game no doubt helped get Bo started.  And will still be part of his game. But I did suggest a hard checking complimentary left winger. 

And one bottom line is we need secondary scoring. Personally I believe a Bo's line will be just as likely to deliver, if not more so, than Sutters line.  Bo had 24 assists last year, one less than ten more than Brandon Sutter's career high. So give them Burrows as a checking left wing. He plays hard! Or Etem if he brings it harder. Dorsett WILL bring it, but may not keep up talent wise. Then add Rodin on the right wing. We want speed and scoring.  Set Bo's line up with a chance to deliver? 

Here is his scouting report from Elite Prospects;

Anton Rödin is a top flight scoring winger who combines speed with skill and cunning. He is a naturally superb skater that controls the puck well at high speed. He possesses high end vision and playmaking ability and is a reliable source of offence. He is the type of player that, if you leave alone for even a few seconds, will make you pay. He does not have the size to play a prevalent physical game, but he chooses to battle against bigger guys and, combined with his intellect, skill, and shiftiness, is able to win a massive amount of puck battles. He has the competitiveness and drive to do whatever it takes to win, and that is key to his success as a versatile scoring winger. [EP] - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=7084#sthash.zJAXUlLs.dpuf

18 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I just hope Gaunce clears waiver's...Rodin with Horvat and Baer will happen and will be a thing of beauty...Willie befuddled will be in awe when he finally try's that line.

Gaunce is going to have to outplay Etem and hit like Dorsett to stay up.

Gaunce doesn't require waivers.

Gaunce's latest Canucks Army profile is up as part of their annual prospects rankings. He comes in at #6: http://canucksarmy.com/2016/8/25/canucks-army-prospect-profile-6-brendan-gaunce

A few things stand out (and the entire profile is worth the read). Gaunce put up a "gaudy" 60% goals for rate and scored 38 points in 46 games, all while playing a defensive role with a "revolving door" of linemates and moving in and out of the Comets lineup due to NHL callups.

Canucks Army's pGPS model now puts Gaunce in a cohort where 57 of 124 similar players have gone on to successful NHL careers, with those comparables averaging a third line role.

Based on last year's numbers, it's likely Gaunce would have led the Comets in scoring if he'd played the full season in the AHL. If he doesn't make the Canucks out of camp, he should be expected to become a top-end player for Utica (arguably he was already at that level last year as he led their forward group in eTOI/GP), and should hopefully improve on his already solid scoring rate, while also playing a huge role as one of their primary defensive forwards.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos

The Canucks have had 15 1st round selections since 2003.

10 out of those 15 picks have been traded or are no longer with the team...

I really hope this trend doesn't continue with Gaunce. You can't  expect to have success with this level of incompetence when it comes to drafting.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Canucks have had 15 1st round selections since 2003.

10 out of those 15 picks have been traded or are no longer with the team...

I really hope this trend doesn't continue with Gaunce. You can't  expect to have success with this level of incompetence when it comes to drafting.

Benning has been here since what? May 2014? A little over two years? 

So far, Virtanen, McCann have played games in a Canucks jersey, and McCann has been traded for Gudbranson. 

Boeser looks like a steal at #23 in 2015. and we've drafted Juolevi this year. I'd say our first round picks look a helluva a lot better under Benning than previous regimes. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Benning has been here since what? May 2014? A little over two years? 

So far, Virtanen, McCann have played games in a Canucks jersey, and McCann has been traded for Gudbranson. 

Boeser looks like a steal at #23 in 2015. and we've drafted Juolevi this year. I'd say our first round picks look a helluva a lot better under Benning than previous regimes. 

He has also traded 3 former 1st round picks in those two years.

I'm just saying I hope Gaunce doesn't get grouped together with players he thinks are expendable. I think Gaunce has more upside than he may get credit for. But it would be easy for Benning to throw him into a trade for a top 6 winger. Hope it doesn't happen.

• Upvote 3

Just now, DeNiro said:

He has also traded 3 former 1st round picks in those two years.

I'm just saying I hope Gaunce doesn't get grouped together with players he thinks are expendable. I think Gaunce has more upside than he may get credit for. But it would be easy for Benning to throw him into a trade for a top 6 winger. Hope it doesn't happen.

Me too I think Gaunce may not be the top 6 forward we're looking for. But he can certainly do well working his way up the depth chart on the 4th line or better. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, J.R. said:

I don't see Rodin with Horvat at all. Same story as WD not wanting Baer on that line if possible as they don't have overly complimentary play styles. If he makes it, it's either miraculously top 6 (not likely) or a sheltered 'offensive' 4th line with Granlund IMO.

Say what you want about Dors but he pairs well with Horvat and he's the best we've got given the makeup WD wants for that line (counter attacking, tenacious puck pursuit) unless we can find someone to bump Hansen down to that spot. Or perhaps if Virtanen comes out looking BEAST. That said, I doubt they go with that much youth on Horvat's line (Etem, Horvat, Virtanen). Maybe Burr and Dorsett swap but at this point I think Dorsett's speed trumps Burrows there.

People need to lower their expectations with Rodin as well IMO...

Regardless, Gaunce is in tough to crack that.

My comment on Dorsett is not a put down. I agree his speed is better than Burrows. Cannot wait for the pre-season as it will be a fierce compete.

Just now, Boudrias said:

My comment on Dorsett is not a put down. I agree his speed is better than Burrows. Cannot wait for the pre-season as it will be a fierce compete.

Dorsett is not the most polished offensively. I see why people might initially gasp at the thought of putting him there.

That said, I think he can play actual hockey, he meshes well with Horvat and the way WD wants him/his line to play and short of replacing him with a more polished Hansen by adding a top 6 forward elsewhere, we don't have anyone better to play with Horvat IMO. And I think they want a vet on each of those bottom two lines.

That line would wreak havoc out there, be a force defensively and have a TON of speed and tenacious puck pursuit to counter attack with (which would lead to more offense than I think some would expect). They'd be a handful and a PITA to play against IMO.

I also think that's how they want to develop Horvat as well. I think they see him and Virtanen as 2/3 of a future 2nd line. Big, fast, North/South, physically punishing, tenacious puck pursuing, two way hell on skates.

Maybe Etem exceeds expectations and grows in to that 3rd spot. Maybe we trade for a Landeskog or similar... we'll see what happens in the next few years.