The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

If Gaunce could peak as an elite 3C like Malhotra in his prime that would be awesome. Shut down other teams top 6 players and chip in some points and be a key part of the PK. 

This would be exceptional if Gaunce could achieve that. 

Burrows Gaunce Dorsett- Could be a good shutdown 4th line

Benning has been here since what? May 2014? A little over two years? 

So far, Virtanen, McCann have played games in a Canucks jersey, and McCann has been traded for Gudbranson. 

Boeser looks like a steal at #23 in 2015. and we've drafted Juolevi this year. I'd say our first round picks look a helluva a lot better under Benning than previous regimes. 

Well that's the cost of success lest we forget. You have a winning team and you get lousy draft selections. So far Virtanen ...jury is still out and the suggestion is he'll play in Utica this season ( a 6th O/A pick ) McCann was a doubtful pick to start with and his attitude.  Never invited to the WJC try outs, Prust wouldn't step up for the guy and Pedan said he was the only guy he didn't really like in the locker room, and who can forget his antics when he was drafted bitching about where he was drafted. Fortunately Florida has a new, young, inexperienced statistically driven GM. When his name came up JB couldn't wait to get rid of him ( so that's a fine pick {not} for JB ) Boeser  by all reports is a winner, he seems to be a level headed sort of kid and has produced ( although not that well in the WJC playing against his peers ) I think JB had a steal with that pick, or at least so  it seems ...early days. Again Juolevi says all the right things has glowing reports from most scouts interviewed but it's wait and see. Demko was or seems to be a good pick and Tryamkin will get a run this season to prove himself. I want to see how many times JB can pull a rabbit out of a hat when he's drafting 25th> 30th O/A WE can't get ahead of ourselves in the report card for the TL/JB combo they're only half way into the semester. So far Virtanen and McCann neither stand outs and the others  are wait and see. Gillis selected in the first round ( apart from the Schneider for Horvat trade ...which I think will work out )  any way he picked 10, 22, 29, 26 & 24th. there's a huge difference JB has gone 6, 23 & 5th. Yes he did have one winning season. Personally I think when ...when TL/JB has the success that Gillis enjoyed ( lest we forget ) every year a winning year and play-offs, 2 Presidents Trophies and a game 7 in the SC. When JB achieves that I'll be first in line to offer congratulation

IMO we're a little quick to lavish praise on JB and a little forget full when we look back on the success of Gillis

• Upvote 1

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:08 AM, Yotes said:

If Gaunce could peak as an elite 3C like Malhotra in his prime that would be awesome. Shut down other teams top 6 players and chip in some points and be a key part of the PK. 

This would be exceptional if Gaunce could achieve that. 

Burrows Gaunce Dorsett- Could be a good shutdown 4th line

I simply want Gaunce to get a longer opportunity whether at LW or C. The teams in the West are getting bigger. Stats say otherwise but that is not what I see in the up and coming teams. Canucks need Gaunce's size or players like him on the roster.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Blömqvist said:

I think Gaunce has a legitimate shot at being a defense-first 3rd liner that can consistently put up points, but maybe also has an outside shot at developing into a quality two-way 2nd liner capable of 40-50 points in his prime. 

I don't think Gaunce has the offensive game to be a 2nd liner. And what I mean by that is not that I don't think he has a good hockey mind, but rather he just doesn't have enough 'finesse' to his game or assets that translate to him being 'exceptional' in any offensive skill at the NHL level (ie not a superior skater, shot, elite passer etc), and you really do need to be 'exceptional' at some part of your offensive game to be a legit second liner vs a Higgins during his best years.

While he clearly has a high hockey IQ, he will never be a great skater (he has improved and his work ethic will ensure he keeps doing so but he'll never be great in that manner, I think we can all agree. He will find a way however to be a 'decent' skater I believe). However, in my view, he is simply just a smart player with size who needs to find a way to maximize his various 'good' but no exceptional assets to carve out a role/career in the NHL.

That being said, with his size, his smarts, and ability to play a solid 2 way game with decent enough hands to contribute, I would hope that he can find a way to eventually be our #3 or #4 center long term. His size, while he's not a big hitter, is very useful down the middle, makes it hard for opposing forwards because he does still play a heavy game. He can skate well enough and is smart enough positionally to keep up with the best centers in the league, and if he can work on his faceoffs, as all players do, perhaps we can create a poor man's Manny 2.0

If he can provide that type of role for the Canucks I would be estatic. I certainly hope he gets a chance at 4c this year and that he and Granlund battle it out. Not a huge fan of Granlund personally, a bit of tweener. Not a top 6 but no big enough or gritty enough to play a bottom 6 role. I think Granlund is really an stop gap upgrade on Vey while they wait and hope Gaunce can step into that 4c role. If he's ready you play him this year, giving him maybe 35-40 games, Granlund with the rest. If not, another year in Utica as a call up and hope next year that occurs.

Edited by Nuckles80
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Nuckles80 said:

I don't think Gaunce has the offensive game to be a 2nd liner. And what I mean by that is not that I don't think he has a good hockey mind, but rather he just doesn't have enough 'finesse' to his game or assets that translate to him being 'exceptional' in any offensive skill at the NHL level (ie not a superior skater, shot, elite passer etc), and you really do need to be 'exceptional' at some part of your offensive game to be a legit second liner vs a Higgins during his best years.

While he clearly has a high hockey IQ, he will never be a great skater (he has improved and his work ethic will ensure he keeps doing so but he'll never be great in that manner, I think we can all agree. He will find a way however to be a 'decent' skater I believe). However, in my view, he is simply just a smart player with size who needs to find a way to maximize his various 'good' but no exceptional assets to carve out a role/career in the NHL.

That being said, with his size, his smarts, and ability to play a solid 2 way game with decent enough hands to contribute, I would hope that he can find a way to eventually be our #3 or #4 center long term. His size, while he's not a big hitter, is very useful down the middle, makes it hard for opposing forwards because he does still play a heavy game. He can skate well enough and is smart enough positionally to keep up with the best centers in the league, and if he can work on his faceoffs, as all players do, perhaps we can create a poor man's Manny 2.0

If he can provide that type of role for the Canucks I would be estatic. I certainly hope he gets a chance at 4c this year and that he and Granlund battle it out. Not a huge fan of Granlund personally, a bit of tweener. Not a top 6 but no big enough or gritty enough to play a bottom 6 role. I think Granlund is really an stop gap upgrade on Vey while they wait and hope Gaunce can step into that 4c role. If he's ready you play him this year, giving him maybe 35-40 games, Granlund with the rest. If not, another year in Utica as a call up and hope next year that occurs.

I was thinking that, a solid 3rd liner and if developed correctly and taking the next steps in advancing the skillset he does have he might be able to reach 2nd line production in a complementary role during his prime, like a Higgins or Burrows. I don't think he has the offensive game to drive the offense at the NHL level, however.

What he does have is hockey IQ and a good shot, and if he can use his size and strength more and position himself in the dirty areas he could have a couple seasons with 2nd line production.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I was thinking that, a solid 3rd liner and if developed correctly and taking the next steps in advancing the skillset he does have he might be able to reach 2nd line production in a complementary role during his prime, like a Higgins or Burrows. I don't think he has the offensive game to drive the offense at the NHL level, however.

What he does have is hockey IQ and a good shot, and if he can use his size and strength more and position himself in the dirty areas he could have a couple seasons with 2nd line production.

I'd be happy if he developed into a great shutdown 3 or 4c. Those players are key ingredients to winning. He is best suited for that role. If he's having to push up like Higgins, well it would likely mean we are quite lacking on the second line!

You really never know where a player's ceiling is however, as you said, Burr was never even supposed to make the NHL, then never more than a grinder, etc...just from what we have seen thus far and barring some surprises in his trajectory as a player.

Edited by Nuckles80

19 hours ago, Nuckles80 said:

How Gaunce does will really depend on chemistry and who he plays with. In many ways he reminds me of guys like Burrows and Morrison. Can play in any role, but really work well with skilled players.  Neither expectional talents, but smart players that meshed well with much higher skilled players.

Analogy, Gaunce is the straight guy in a comedy show. Not funny on his own, but allows the the real comedians humour to come out.

Gaunce is the reliable two way pressence that offers a skilled winger or two the latitude to create offense. He doesn't suppress them and gets to be the unsung, hard to measure key piece in a line. 

Unlike Horvat, whom I can see driving offence on a line, Gaunce would be more of an add on, but still a contributer.  Pair him with players like Baer, Rodin, Boeser or Virtannen who all would be better suited to offensive roles, it could be really promising. 

EW

They've been developing Gaunce as a defensive player - he's not expected to become a scorer at this level.  He has fully embraced that role.  You can listen to him below.

The summary from the Soundcloud link is:  Canucks forward Brendan Gaunce says he achieved one of his goals this season, by ending the year with the Canucks. Brendan says he's comfortable on the wing, but feels his strength will be as a shutdown centre at the NHL level, allowing the other centres (Henrik, Horvat) the freedom to concentrate on the offensive side of the game.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

How Gaunce does will really depend on chemistry and who he plays with. In many ways he reminds me of guys like Burrows and Morrison. Can play in any role, but really work well with skilled players.  Neither expectional talents, but smart players that meshed well with much higher skilled players.

Analogy, Gaunce is the straight guy in a comedy show. Not funny on his own, but allows the the real comedians humour to come out.

Gaunce is the reliable two way pressence that offers a skilled winger or two the latitude to create offense. He doesn't suppress them and gets to be the unsung, hard to measure key piece in a line. 

Unlike Horvat, whom I can see driving offence on a line, Gaunce would be more of an add on, but still a contributer.  Pair him with players like Baer, Rodin, Boeser or Virtannen who all would be better suited to offensive roles, it could be really promising. 

EW

Yes, I don't dispute most of that, other than I think both Morrison and Burr had some part of their game that was outstanding in some regard

Morrison was a terrific skater, defensively and a very very good playmaker. Not elite but had 2nd line playmaking skills, and then when placed with Nazzy and Bert, found a role.

Burrows at his prime was still quite a good skater, and tenacious as hell, that skill to forecheck, work the boards come out with the puck was elite (thus the reason he meshed so well with the twins and similar to what we see with hansen).

I just don't see any real 'standout' part of Gaunce's game. That is the issue. Solid all around but those types of players do tend to have challenges transitioning to the NHL unless they learn to use their size and bang and crash (Think Taylor Pyatt - never really did much, was an ok player but didn't really standout in any aspect of his game). This is why I think he's really suited for  a defensive center/ checking role. He'll never be a hitter, he never was in junior and was a mid skilled guy  (not elite, just solid). He's effectively a ''tweener' with size but smart.

So if he builds up his skating ability, can focus his attention on becoming a great faceoff man, and can learn to use his size (not so much to hit but to play heavy hard minutes and make it hard on opposing centers to get ice and get to the net), well his smarts and defensive skills will make him a valuable part of the organization.

Add in the ability to learn from a guy who made is career out of playing defensively like Jarvis, and hopefully another in Manny and we already have Ryan Johnson in our group, the coaching is there to turn him into a great defensive player if he can mold his game that way.

Again, not saying he can't surprise, players do, but based on what I have seen of his game in junior (which I saw alot of) the AHL and his natural athletic abilities, that's the role that's most likely in my view. One thing to remember, as a top 2 center, you really do have to have the ability to drive the play offensively - you need to be able to distribute the puck, even if you are not the 'scorer' and the finisher, the key is always to be the guy making your linemates better. I don't see that with Gaunce and you allude to it.

I don't think you want a guy who isn't great at distributing the puck and isn't a great skater as a 2c. We saw how that inability hindered Kesler and still does to a degree, however his skating and tenacity and elite defensive ability made up for it. Gaunce doesn't have that skating, and yet sn't an elite distributer either and is only 'solid' defensively. He really is a 3/4c in my view

Edited by Nuckles80

Burrows was always an energy player and frankly still is. He mentioned recently this is the first year he's actually felt healthy. Your comment regarding nothing outstanding skill from Gaunce is a good one. Most players need to be good at every thing and exceptional at one or more skills.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Burrows was always an energy player and frankly still is. He mentioned recently this is the first year he's actually felt healthy. Your comment regarding nothing outstanding skill from Gaunce is a good one. Most players need to be good at every thing and exceptional at one or more skills.

Which is great because Gauce excels in his study of the game. His character is exceptional, and that's what'll carry him. In 20 years, he'll be a successful minor league coach. Mark my words.

On August 24, 2016 at 8:54 AM, komodo0921 said:

I was just about to post something similar to this. As I see it, we have three players in our system that have done about as much as they can in Utica and Gaunce is one of them (Grenier and Pedan are the other two, maybe Subban being another ). It's time for him to get his shot. There are spots open or could be made available for him. I think it's time for him to put up or shut up. Find out if he's a keeper or someone who needs a change of scenery. 

There is going to be some interesting battles this up coming training camp. This is Guances time regardless. He's done filling out and would be coming to camp primed.

• Upvote 1

Gaunce is definitely going to be one of the more interesting young players to watch this year.  It's definitely show us time.

He must know that they want him to play more physically with the size he has.  To date, he seems to be a smart player who makes himself effective with his brains and his size is just a thing that keeps him from being dominated physically.

As a winger, he would be a similar type to Etem.  As a centre, it's harder for me to find him a place in the line up.

I think that as a 1st round pick, he always saw himself as a top 6 player who relied more on skill and intellect and not on brute force.  Whereas, I think the Canucks would rather see him bring all 3 as he will most certainly begin his career in a bottom 6 role.  It sometimes takes a little time before a player is comfortable throwing his weight around in the NHL particularly when that is not the style of play he has had in the past.

Either way, he's going to have to distinguish himself this year in a way that he hasn't done in the past.  Time to step forward.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Gaunce is definitely going to be one of the more interesting young players to watch this year.  It's definitely show us time.

He must know that they want him to play more physically with the size he has.  To date, he seems to be a smart player who makes himself effective with his brains and his size is just a thing that keeps him from being dominated physically.

As a winger, he would be a similar type to Etem.  As a centre, it's harder for me to find him a place in the line up.

I think that as a 1st round pick, he always saw himself as a top 6 player who relied more on skill and intellect and not on brute force.  Whereas, I think the Canucks would rather see him bring all 3 as he will most certainly begin his career in a bottom 6 role.  It sometimes takes a little time before a player is comfortable throwing his weight around in the NHL particularly when that is not the style of play he has had in the past.

Either way, he's going to have to distinguish himself this year in a way that he hasn't done in the past.  Time to step forward.

He accepts that he won't be a top-6 or a scorer - he describes his role as a shutdown C that can allow the other Cs to focus on offence.  In Utica they had him play with the workers (it's Shinkaruk that played with the skilled guys).  It's only last year that they had him more in a scoring role.

There are somehow two Gaunce threads - here's the copy paste from the other thread if you want listen to him.

The summary from the Soundcloud link is:  Canucks forward Brendan Gaunce says he achieved one of his goals this season, by ending the year with the Canucks. Brendan says he's comfortable on the wing, but feels his strength will be as a shutdown centre at the NHL level, allowing the other centres (Henrik, Horvat) the freedom to concentrate on the offensive side of the game.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, mll said:

He accepts that he won't be a top-6 or a scorer - he describes his role as a shutdown C that can allow the other Cs to focus on offence.  In Utica they had him play with the workers (it's Shinkaruk that played with the skilled guys).  It's only last year that they had him more in a scoring role.

There are somehow two Gaunce threads - here's the copy paste from the other thread if you want listen to him.

Thanks for this.