The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Ryan O'Reilly is a prime example that playing on bad junior teams and then on bad NHL teams does not hurt development.

If anything one could argue it would help his development in that he'll be the one relied on in all situations, and his ice time will reflect that. I really do hope he gets traded to a team like the Knights though. I'm sure any junior team would love to have him for a playoff push considering the way he stepped up last year and carried the Bulls.

What I love is that Gaunce is on a not so great team, and yet is able to put up good numbers, if not really good for almost a one man team. Imagine he is surrounded by better players, he could be a literal force to deal with. Screw what Sutter said, Gaunce has offensive tools to use.

hat-trick watch: Gaunce has two goals and an assist midway through the second period against Sudbury tonight (Subban has a goal and two assists, and they finished a 2-on-1 together for Gaunce's first goal).

Nice. It's good to see him (and Subban) really stepping up his offensive game.

I can't believe Gaunce is playing on a bad team and he's relied on so much to be defensively sound, it's like the hockey gods are making us the perfect 3rd line center.

Shinkuruk Henrik Kesler

Daniel Horvat Kassian

Burrows Gaunce Santorelli

Higgins Richardson Hansen

He has to get faster. It's as simple as that. He's smart, he can throw the body around, he's god damn solid defensively, but you need to have some foot speed to be a good top nine guy.

That's literally the only thing holding him back from the NHL.

I'm hoping that he either joins Gary Roberts in the off-season or have whoever the Sedins used after the lockout to improve their skating.

I'm hoping that he either joins Gary Roberts in the off-season or have whoever the Sedins used after the lockout to improve their skating.

Gaunce has been going to Roberts camp for 3 years now.

He is very well conditioned. I think he just needs to drop a bit of weight and work on his foot speed. Once he gets going he's a good skater, it's just those first few strides. Alot like Hodgson was early on.

• Upvote 2

It's obvious what the Canucks management saw in him. I really hope he can improve his footspeed. He'll be a really good 3rd line guy then.

Gaunce has been going to Roberts camp for 3 years now.

He is very well conditioned. I think he just needs to drop a bit of weight and work on his foot speed. Once he gets going he's a good skater, it's just those first few strides. Alot like Hodgson was early on.

Agreed!

Edited by Tom Sestito

He had a nice game, I watched it. Takeaways

1. He had a beautiful rip on his first goal (drop pass from a Subban rush), in the slot (no pun intended!) shelf over the glove one timer as he walked into a nice drop from Subban who took the zone.

2. Subban, man when that kid rushes he just pushes guys back. If he can't make the nucks as a dman, put him on kesler's wing dammit! lol

3. Guance had 2 in regulation and seems (in all the game's i've watched) just to get goals by being in the right spots...its a bit weird actually because you don't notice him but then wham its on his stick and he's got an empty net....good positionally and hockey smarts clearly.

4. Yes his skating needs work and its not his stride. Its really his first 2-3 steps. He just doesn't have that 'explosiveness' he'll need at the NHL level. Once he's moving he's got wheels. This is correctable though, he's not slow, he's slow off the mark. Is that weight? nope, its core, its leg strength, its training.

5. I'd like to see him start using his body more in a more aggressive manner. He has good body positioning but he doesn't hit. He has the size to really impose on players and now with his experience should have the confidence.

End of the day. I think the kid will be a decent 3c or winger on the second line. All he needs is some time and needs to get 'man strength'.

Horvat is definitely ahead of him in all those categories (watch alot of knights games too) but With Horvat/Cassells/Gaunce as our centers of the future, we look pretty good!

• Upvote 2