The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

look what we've had to work with in the past years.

Rodin

Schroeder

Sauve

Rai

Not pretty. Who can develop that

From '06 to '11 we developed 4 players that are looking like good players and are already good players (Jensen, Hodgson, Grabner, Corrado). You could add Schroeder or Connauton.

Development has a part of young players.

From '06 to '11 we developed 4 players that are looking like good players and are already good players (Jensen, Hodgson, Grabner, Corrado). You could add Schroeder or Connauton.

The fact that only 2 of those 6 players still play for Canucks says a lot about how the Canucks develop their players! Lol

The fact that only 2 of those 6 players still play for Canucks says a lot about how the Canucks develop their players! Lol

Those players were still developed by the Canucks for a few years and their most crucial years.

Ignore the fact that only a couple of those players regular NHLers and the other 4 are AHLers.

Ridiculous back and forth in these threads. Yes let's be a playoff bound team every year and draft in the top ten....

Yes let's miss the playoffs 1 year in the past half dozen and start calling all of our draft picks busts. It's obvious that Gillis was an agent turned GM and that experiment failed, but he was also around for a bunch of division titles and a couple president's cups.

No wonder Kesler wanted out of Vancouver. A schizophrenic fan base with ridiculous expectations. The guy probably got called out on the street 1 too many times and decided screw this!

As for Horvat... absolute stud. 1 of our young players has to play on the Canucks this year and he has the most complete 2 way game of any of our prospects. I just hope he's listening to his I-pod for the 1st few years of his career and not CDC armchair GM's.

• Upvote 1

Ridiculous back and forth in these threads. Yes let's be a playoff bound team every year and draft in the top ten....

Yes let's miss the playoffs 1 year in the past half dozen and start calling all of our draft picks busts. It's obvious that Gillis was an agent turned GM and that experiment failed, but he was also around for a bunch of division titles and a couple president's cups.

No wonder Kesler wanted out of Vancouver. A schizophrenic fan base with

ridiculous

expectations. The guy probably got called out on the street 1 too many times and decided screw this!

As for Horvat... absolute stud. 1 of our young players has to play on the Canucks this year and he has the most complete 2 way game of any of our prospects. I just hope he's listening to his I-pod for the 1st few years of his career and not CDC armchair GM's.

hahah who's being ridiculous? Thisbis a discussion forum, where we discuss our varying opinions. This is how it works if you don't like it go visit the cuddly fluffy discussion board. Or better yet the Edmonton oilers discussion board. They seem happy with losing. You'd fit right in.

You might want to note that during that time we had next to no prospect pool of any meaningful quality (thanks again Burke/Nonis) and no AHL team to develop them.

Our scouting has improved, our drafting has improved and our development has improved. We also have entirely different management in place.

Again you're attempting to compare apples and orangutans.

If Horvat's NHL ready he'll be on the Canucks rather than languishing in the OHL learning bad habits. I don't care what line he's on.

Edited by J.R.

You might want to note that during that time we had next to no prospect pool of any meaningful quality (thanks again Burke/Nonis) and no AHL team to develop them.

Our scouting has improved, our drafting has improved and our development has improved. We also have entirely different management in place.

Again you're attempting to compare apples and orangutans.

If Horvat's NHL ready he'll be on the Canucks rather than languishing in the OHL learning bad habits. I don't care what line he's on.

You realize that the development staff is also responsible for the lack of decent prospects in our prospect back then? You can say our drafting sucked by why can't you say our development staff sucked? They have the same amount of responsbility in a prospect, they couldn't develop a good player for crap outside of the 1st round. There's promise in every player if you have a good enough development staff to find that, find their strength and work around it.

Horvat is completely irrelevant.

It's easy to say everything improved with many 1st rounders in our prospect pool.

Edited by Plum

You realize that the development staff is also responsible for the lack of decent prospects in our prospect back then? You can say our drafting sucked by why can't you say our development staff sucked? They have the same amount of responsbility in a prospect, they couldn't develop a good player for crap outside of the 1st round. There's promise in every player if you have a good enough development staff to find that, find their strength and work around it.

Horvat is completely irrelevant.

It's easy to say everything improved with many 1st rounders in our prospect pool.

We didn't have an AHL team and we had different development staff. Things then =/= things now.

We didn't have an AHL team and we had different development staff. Things then =/= things now.

Sure our development staff has changed but that changed isn't really showing in our later picks. Some players look good like Corrado, Hutton but what about Schroeder, White, Ellington, Sauve, Rodin. Look at teams like Chicago, Detroit, Anaheim then compare it to the Canucks, we're awful.

How much of our development staff has changed?

Sometimes guys just don't make it...Not everyone is good enough to make the NHL regardless of how much help they might get.

Schroeder's arguably got the talent but has been hampered by depth ahead of him, injuries, size etc. Otherwise he was actually developed pretty well. He's just not a terribly good fit here and was never healthy long enough to get his footing. He was destined this year to have other prospects pass him and hence was let go.

Most of the rest of those guys on your list were not ever likely to be long term NHL'ers in anyone's system. I mean White?

Sometimes guys just don't make it...Not everyone is good enough to make the NHL regardless of how much help they might get.

Schroeder's arguably got the talent but has been hampered by depth ahead of him, injuries, size etc. Otherwise he was actually developed pretty well. He's just not a terribly good fit here and was never healthy long enough to get his footing. He was destined this year to have other prospects pass him and hence was let go.

Most of the rest of those guys on your list were not ever likely to be long term NHL'ers in anyone's system. I mean White?

Patrick White had talent, he was a two-way player with good offensive abilities like Kesler but he was still a 1st round pick. I know maybe he wasn't the right pick but that doesn't mean he wasn't a draft choice in the 2007 draft.

The development staff looks better, I like the Cassels pick, Cederholm (Sweden was always our strong spot), Hutton, Beattie. Our drafting looks better but can we develop them to NHL players? I know the junior leagues/NCAA are doing a good job with them so far.

I'm basing it off history, our history sucks pretty bad. Hoping it changes.

Edited by Plum

@News1130Sports

Lowry on Horvat, "Bo's been good, he's a veteran player, he knows what it takes, he's been a good role model and leader".

Think Horvat will get a letter? I think he will get an A. I think Morrisey or Lazar will be the Captain.

Think Horvat will get a letter? I think he will get an A. I think Morrisey or Lazar will be the Captain.

Well Morrisey and Lazar aren't on the same team as Horvat. Reinhart was the captain of his team but i suppose team 2 would have a different captain.