The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

So you disagree with the fact that Linden, Benning, and Desjardin all stated that they would like Bo to have the World Junior experience? Do you also disagree with the fact that Horvat is already listed on the World Junior roster? Or are just another liar?

Seriously you are still on about this? I already admitted to not seeing your point about junior being the "world juniors". Get over it

I do agree that BoHo's numbers with London would be very interesting if he got sent back. He does have strong offensive ability.

As for Cassels, he was playing on the third line for, at least, most of his draft year. If Cassels had played in the top 6 that season, he possibly could have been a first round pick.

His draft year totals were 64GP-15G-28A-43Pts(as a 3C).

Horvat's draft year totals were 67GP-33G-28A-61Pts(as a 1C).

Love both prospects. Not that I'm underselling Horvat but I do feel that Cassels is being undersold here.

I did address that fact about Cassels' draft year situation in my post (bolded below).

When you compare Horvat's draft year stats (61 points in 67 games) to McCann's (62 points in 64 games), they are not that far off. Then there's what Bo did in the playoffs that year, which was phenomenal. Cassels was behind Jenner and Laughton and so it's not fair to compare his draft year production to the two above.

I doubt Cassels would have been a 1st round pick, however, as 2013 was a pretty deep draft. Also, some players just develop at a different pace, and I feel like playing behind Jenner and Laughton in his draft year benefited him greatly in developing his defensive game and grit. He added the offense after building a solid foundation as a two-way 3rd line center after being drafted.

Cassels is not being undersold IMO. Everyone is and should be surprised that he's doing this well as a 3rd round pick. It's just odd that you think he could be a 1st line center but you do not extend that thought to Bo when all Bo's done so far is outproduce him at the same level. He definitely has not surpassed Bo as a prospect as of yet. Does he have the potential to? Yes, I would agree with you there.

EDIT: also highly doubt Horvat was the 1C in his draft year for London - I think Tierney was 1C even last year and Bo a 2C

Edited by Dasein
  • Upvote 1

Honestly i think it's time we give Bo 10+ mins a game. He only has 3 games left to make an impression and 7 minutes a games isn't enough to be a full evaluation on where he's at. Mind you Benning is going to be at the game today, after watching Utica last night and I believe when Horvat is gone (whether thats the WJC or to the OHL) Jensen is going to be called back up.

Honestly i think it's time we give Bo 10+ mins a game. He only has 3 games left to make an impression and 7 minutes a games isn't enough to be a full evaluation on where he's at. Mind you Benning is going to be at the game today, after watching Utica last night and I believe when Horvat is gone (whether thats the WJC or to the OHL) Jensen is going to be called back up.

We're not giving Bo 10+ minutes just to evaluate him when he hasn't earned it.

And I'm thinking DeFazio again and Jensen will be an injury call up for the top 9.

Edited by Dasein

Seriously you are still on about this? I already admitted to not seeing your point about junior being the "world juniors". Get over it

Yes and you also said that you don't ignore the points other people are making. You then immediately ignore the points that I made. That is what I am going on about.

It's nice that you think Cassels and McCann have 1C potential, but you are severely underselling Horvat.

When you compare Horvat's draft year stats (61 points in 67 games) to McCann's (62 points in 64 games), they are not that far off. Then there's what Bo did in the playoffs that year, which was phenomenal. Cassels was behind Jenner and Laughton and so it's not fair to compare his draft year production to the two above.

My apologies, Dasein. You did that. Sorry.

However, I wanted to show the respective stats of both players for others to see.

Nevertheless, I truly like BoHo. What he did in the OHL playoffs that season was what Kesler did against Nashville. But that was one series. BoHo was dominant throughout the playoffs. Which explains why it was great that the Canucks had drafted him.

His long term development will make a difference when it comes to battling the California heavyweights in the playoffs in the not too distant future.

Edited by Tiger-Hearted

you can't give a player ice time they don't deserve.

Edmonton fans didn't get it. I thought Vancouver fans would have known better. They blamed their coach for "not using" Yakupov probably. Blamed the coach for giving him 9 minutes of ice time instead of 18 minutes of ice time. The reason being is he doesn't deserve it yet, which means he is not ready for that time yet.

Horvat needs to be in the Juniors right now! 6 minutes is nothing.

Yet Richardson is outscoring Hansen,Kassian,Matthias and Dorsett.

Exactly Richardson is scoring like Kesler used to also without getting anything from his wingers. Centers are not supposed to be primary scorers they are supposed to make plays for their wingers also and not look to always shoot first.

Richardson is not a play making passing center. Linden Vey is and will help spark Kassian and even Matthias offensively.

Welcome to the dark side everyone.

Thanks for treating me like a leper when I've said the exact same thing since October 1st.

I've been there with you from the beginning my friend. The visibility is so poor over here on the dark side (bein' that it's so dark and all) that I guess we're having trouble seeing each other. There's never been a moment in this process where I thought, based on what I had seen, that Horvat was ready to make an actual contribution at the NHL level yet. Not last season, not in the pre season. But when Stan Smyl said something along the lines of 'he can't improve anymore playing junior hockey' I realized that the Canucks might be about to embark upon this road that they are on now with him. I think it's the wrong thing to do, but plenty of teams operate this way. I was hoping The Steamer was expressing a personal opinion, but it looks like faulty group think now, doesn't it.

Grats Bo on the first on many!!

Be absolutely moronic to send him back to jr.

He will be sent down, no question about it. He needs to improve his speed a bit and his offensive awareness. Now with this being said im only using a small sample, I been ranting for weeks about giving Horvat 10 minutes so we can see what he is. In short, i will be absolutely shocked if they manage to keep Horvat.

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

Yeah the goal doesn't really change anything unless he starts pouring it on and earns more ice time. His best game for sure though.

It was nice to see him get some ice in the 3rd period in a close game. Granted, it was a back-to-back so WD probably wanted to roll 4 lines more than usual, but the fact that he still had the confidence in him in a 3-2 lead and 3-3 tie in the 3rd against ANA was good to see.

Best game so far.

I still think he should be sent down unless he is getting and earning 10+ minutes a game.

I agree. Even with his best game so far, he got sub 10 minutes (9:50).

For me, it's all about Horvat playing well to get more and more confidence. Then taking that confidence back with him to London where he and Domi can dominate the OHL together. The Knights are doing much better now -- ever since Domi got going -- and there's a lot of offense on that team. Have him play on a team with Domi, Marner, McCarron, Dvorak, Rupert, etc. while being a big piece on that team. Let him have a great final year in the OHL (personally, at the very least).

I think that would do more than what we can offer him in the NHL at this point.

• Upvote 1

The only unfortunate part of this is that Domi has already been named captain by team votes, so Bo will probably wear an "A" again.

Don't need a "C" to lead a team though. Would love to see Domi and Horvat together try to lead their team to the Memorial Cup.

The only unfortunate part of this is that Domi has already been named captain by team votes, so Bo will probably wear an "A" again.

Don't need a "C" to lead a team though. Would love to see Domi and Horvat together try to lead their team to the Memorial Cup.

Yeah, I thought they were kind of reserving the 'c' for Bo too; he was the obvious choice. That's too bad, I hadn't heard.

Tonight's game bought Bo some more time and possibly gave management another doubt to whether sending him down is best or not.

Bo looked solid tonight on the draws against an experienced ace like Kesler. Goal was a beauty, and showed some good speed and puck protection around the net. Best game so far for Bo. Hopefully he puts up another few more games to make management's decision a lot harder to make.