The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

college players holding out on contracts ould eventually be a deterent for teams draft. Teams are already hesitant when certain players commit to US colleges, if this becomes a more common trend that Schultz and Hayes started, teams will altogether may start to avoid collegiate players like Russian players, unless they have an absolute agreement the player will sign or that the player will not go to college for too long to hold out.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I don't believe this kid is going to pull a Schultz/Hayes. Like it's been said before, by the time he finishes his NCAA career, there'll likely be a spot for him to slide into on the Canucks blueline. That, and the kid has shown a will to be a Canuck. In fact, he was at this year's Prospect's Camp despite the fact that not only did he not have to be there but he also had to pay his own way to the camp because he's currently on a University team. If that doesn't show his committment to wanting to be with the franchise, I'm not sure what does.

shore is still there, but byron and vesey are the only other nhl prospects on the team, and they are all forwards. one third of their team are freshmen and none of their goalies played for them last season (2 are brand new and one didn't play last season; the season before last he played in a grand total of 6 games and had a record of 2 wins and one loss, with .881 sv% and a 2.83 GAA)

I wonder how common a player leaving the team mid season is. I assume he's on a full ride scholarship so he'd have to fork out some cash to finish his degree if he bailed, maybe even to finish this school year.

Anyway, for anyone interested, I think his games are on NBCSN again this year. I'm going start downloading some prospect schedules and posting them, I keep missing the games.

• Upvote 1

I wonder how common a player leaving the team mid season is. I assume he's on a full ride scholarship so he'd have to fork out some cash to finish his degree if he bailed, maybe even to finish this school year.

Anyway, for anyone interested, I think his games are on NBCSN again this year. I'm going start downloading some prospect schedules and posting them, I keep missing the games.

If he were to start his pro career sooner, I suspect any money he'd "lose" no longer getting free tuition would be more than made up by his salary.

At this point it's more about having an education for AFTER hockey.

Edited by J.R.

i feel like he's forced into focusing on d-first because of their horrible goaltending so he can't gamble or lead the rush as much as he did last season. i can't help but feel he'll leave the team after this season, or maybe even midseason if this keeps up.

The "Kesler" route of when the going gets tough, pack up and leave?

Or Bieksa's "I'm going down with this ship"?

Although, this is more about his development. He'll choose what he believes to be best for his development.

The "Kesler" route of when the going gets tough, pack up and leave?

Or Bieksa's "I'm going down with this ship"?

Although, this is more about his development. He'll choose what he believes to be best for his development.

So kesler wants to win a cup badly and juice wants to ease into retirement?