The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Did Gillis make any changes to the drafting decision process and/or personnel before last year's draft?

I'm still pulling for Subban, and Cassels, Shinkaruk, and Horvat all look really good to make the team one day.

I think he kept almost everybody his first year and moved some scouts around like Smyl to US College or something like that the second year or so.

We are starting to get way better and more Canadian picks as well. (This makes a big difference from my point of view when watching things like the World Jrs, Mem Cup, etc.)

Couldn't be that last year's draft was that good, could it? Have we got better scouts/scouting?

I think people put too much emphasis on the scouts.

These guys are simply their to provide intel to the managers. It's up to the managers to dictate to the scouts what they're looking for, and to meet with the players and gauge what kind of character they have.

At the end of the day, Gillis makes the final decision. Him and Gillman need to determine what kind of team they're building, what positions on the depth chart are they lacking in, and ultimately which prospect they believe has the highest chance of succeeding.

The fact that we have the same scouting staff, and are getting better results pretty much proves that. Clearly they've changed their way of thinking and are focusing on Canadian born players from either OHL or WHL in early rounds, and selecting college players with the later picks. It seems to be a good strategy so far.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

Organization is doing a better job. If we can trade our second every year plus something to move into the first round we would be way better off, even if we are just moving up 10 spots, it will be advantageous.

This year is as important or more important than last years draft for the first 3 rounds. If we can add some more quality players into the wings we will have a great looking lines 2 through 4. First line will have to be addressed at some point, and we can wait to to see who turns into what before we start acquiring top line talent, or we could fall into a tio line pick at some point over the next 2-3 years.

Well looking at hindsight, sure woulda been good to pick that goaltender that kicked our ass lastnite

Frederik Andersson. ..picked in 3rd round that year

Misread.

Edited by Melons

BlackBearHockey@MaineIceHockey

Ben Hutton Earns Bob Monahan Award for Best Defenseman in New England http://bit.ly/1gnTOGM

The attached article also notes he was named to the 2013-2014 New England Hockey Writers Association Division I All-Star Team, along with team mate Devin Shore.

From the article:

Hutton scored a team-high 15 goals and added 14 assists for 29 points in his sophomore season. His 15 goals set the school record for goals in a season by a defenseman. In addition, he became the first defenseman in Maine history to lead the team in goals scored. He leads all defenseman in the country in goals scored with 15, ranks sixth in points per game by a defenseman (.83) and tied for 12th in power play goals with nine. His nine power play goals are tops among the nation's defensemen. Hutton had three multi-goal games and finished the season with six multi-point games.

Still a shame he didn't get in the top 10 for the Hobey Baker, but good to see him getting recognition for a great season.

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 1

The attached article also notes he was named to the 2013-2014 New England Hockey Writers Association Division I All-Star Team, along with team mate Devin Shore.

From the article:

Still a shame he didn't get in the top 10 for the Hobey Baker, but good to see him getting recognition for a great season.

Insane that he didn't. Lead dmen in goals while being a beast defensively along with finishing fourth in fan voting.

I can see the argument for him not getting final three, but not top ten? Never mind his merits as a player, but why did we vote everyday to try and make sure he got in if it meant nothing? Why have a fan vote at all?

I think people put too much emphasis on the scouts.

These guys are simply their to provide intel to the managers. It's up to the managers to dictate to the scouts what they're looking for, and to meet with the players and gauge what kind of character they have.

At the end of the day, Gillis makes the final decision. Him and Gillman need to determine what kind of team they're building, what positions on the depth chart are they lacking in, and ultimately which prospect they believe has the highest chance of succeeding.

The fact that we have the same scouting staff, and are getting better results pretty much proves that. Clearly they've changed their way of thinking and are focusing on Canadian born players from either OHL or WHL in early rounds, and selecting college players with the later picks. It seems to be a good strategy so far.

Thanks for the awesome post.

"The Canucks need better scouting" is one of the most misused terms thrown around on CDC.

Thanks for the awesome post.

"The Canucks need better scouting" is one of the most misused terms thrown around on CDC.

i'm not sure i'ts necessarily true, though. final say on draft choices seems to vary by organization; for example, in detroit, hakan andersson is given final say on many draft choices instead of ken holland, and i believe the same rule applied to jim nill.

i've never read or otherwise heard definitive evidence that the final say for the canucks belongs exclusively to mike gillis, and on the contrary, i've heard gillis say himself that the draft is far more about the scouting staff than it is about him.

so that said, blaming gillis for the draft choices that don't pan out, and giving him credit for those that do may not be a fair assessment of things.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

He is going for another year in college.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/106695/vancouver-canucks-have-small-group-of-defensemen-and-wingers-developing-in-ncaa-and-europe/

Although many think of offense first and foremost when talking about Hutton Maine coaches lauded his defensive acumen and pointed out that he and Brice O’Connor played most nights against the other team’s best players. Particularly on the penalty kill and during other defensive situations, Hutton’s importance was under-appreciated. Hutton’s great stick work and natural feel for the game were cited as reasons for his defensive success. He will be back with the Black Bears for the 2014-15 season, where they hope to retain their success on home ice, while improving upon their poor road record.

I expected as much, particularly with all the D we already have on the Canucks.

The Comets aren't in a terrible spot actually with McEneny joining them next year. That's on top of Corrado, Tommernes and Andersson, with AHL signings as well and Blaine or Guimond perhaps taking a bigger role as well. I don't know if guys like Sauve, Biega and Huskins be back but I'm sure the Canucks will help fill any spots they need without worrying about Hutton staying in school.

The Comets aren't in a terrible spot actually with McEneny joining them next year. That's on top of Corrado, Tommernes and Andersson, with AHL signings as well and Blaine or Guimond perhaps taking a bigger role as well. I don't know if guys like Sauve, Biega and Huskins be back but I'm sure the Canucks will help fill any spots they need without worrying about Hutton staying in school.

I hope Huskins is back for the Comets. He's been huge for the team, I'm sure, for leadership and experience, not to mention play. Good guy to have our prospects around.

Rumour going around that TO won't be resigning TJ Brennan, 2014 Eddie Shore winner (Best AHL defenceman).

Not optimistic that Corrado will play third pairing in Van next season? He looked much better in his second stint at the end of the season.

Corrado did look better, but do we have the room for him? I'd think Weber's worth a look again, and Corrado hasn't shown he's good enough to crack the top 4 reliably just yet. Unless we're trading one of our D I could see him back in Utica next year.

• Upvote 1

Corrado did look better, but do we have the room for him? I'd think Weber's worth a look again, and Corrado hasn't shown he's good enough to crack the top 4 reliably just yet. Unless we're trading one of our D I could see him back in Utica next year.

If he can prove he's ready for the NHL, it would just add more depth & balance to the defense IMO.

Hamhius - Tanev

Garrison - Bieksa

Edler - Corrado

I would bring Weber back, he was a good addition this year, but if Frank comes in and earns a spot I think we should give it too him as long as its not a money/contract issue.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

I hope you're managing your expectations on that, or at least very prepared for being let down. If Hutton's going back for another year, he won't even be at training camp to compete for a spot since it'd be against NCAA rules. That's the first name on your list crossed off already.

Edited by elvis15