The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

I hope you're managing your expectations on that, or at least very prepared for being let down. If Hutton's going back for another year, he won't even be at training camp to compete for a spot since it'd be against NCAA rules. That's the first name on your list crossed off already.

he could still go to camp, but he would have to pay his own way for traveling, lodging, meals, etc. the NCAA rule prohibits receiving gifts from professional teams while in college; participating otherwise is allowed.

I want Hutton along with Shinkaruk Horvat Fox Gaunce Cassels Cederholm all playing for Canucks next season

not sure if your serious. even if all 7 of those guys were NHL ready as soon as next season, how do we clear 7 roster spots for them? start trading guys away to do so and you'll probably end up with players more NHL ready than those guys.

• 1 month later...

he could still go to camp, but he would have to pay his own way for traveling, lodging, meals, etc. the NCAA rule prohibits receiving gifts from professional teams while in college; participating otherwise is allowed.

he'd also have to miss out on the start of the NCAA season and team practices and the first couple weeks of classes...

I would be ok with Sauve being cut or packaged in a lesser deal much like Kellen Munchkin and mid pic for Dalpe and Welsh

I just pray that Hutton doesnt leave us standing at the altar like recent graduates have to their respective teams

Why would he ? He'll earn much more money in the NHL. Helll even if he's a career AHLer he'll still live a very comfy lifestyle Edited by Tangelos

I think they closed that loophole in the last collective bargaining agreement

nope, there was talk about them using it as a negotiating chip but it was never addressed, for instance, Kevin Hayes's drafted rights expiring on August 15 with the blackhawks where he'll be able to be a UFA afterward

not really though. schultz was a UFA after only playing 3 seasons of NCAA hockey. most guys gotta wait 4. thats why its considered him using a loophole where as hayes is doing something any prospect could choose to; no loophole there at all.

not really though. schultz was a UFA after only playing 3 seasons of NCAA hockey. most guys gotta wait 4. thats why its considered him using a loophole where as hayes is doing something any prospect could choose to; no loophole there at all.

I`m pretty sure they each waited until August 15 of the fourth year. The only difference is that Hayes started his college career in his draft year and Schultz played another year in Westbank before going on to play three years at Wisconsin. As far as I know, any college draftee can sign anywhere as a free agent after four years in August. Whether they actually played four years of college hockey, like Hayes, three, like Schultz, or even two as is occasionally the case doesn`t really come into it

I`m pretty sure they each waited until August 15 of the fourth year. The only difference is that Hayes started his college career in his draft year and Schultz played another year in Westbank before going on to play three years at Wisconsin. As far as I know, any college draftee can sign anywhere as a free agent after four years in August. Whether they actually played four years of college hockey, like Hayes, three, like Schultz, or even two as is occasionally the case doesn`t really come into it

yeah you've got it. but schultz leaving school early as a UFA is the key difference. like you said, it's cause of the extra year of junior he played. its my understanding that is where the 'loophole' comes into play.

yeah you've got it. but schultz leaving school early as a UFA is the key difference. like you said, it's cause of the extra year of junior he played. its my understanding that is where the 'loophole' comes into play.

the loophole is still there, it's just a little more defined.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2013/6/7/4404684/nhl-cba-college-loophole-ncaa-change

justin schultz could still do a justin schultz, and players who do 4 seasons of NCAA can as well, but they have to wait until Aug 31 to become a UFA (missing the July 1st feeding frenzy that Schultz and othe players like himself can do), even if they drop a class and leave without graduating.

that's the minor tweak the new CBA has done, which really didn't do much.

as for hutton, he'd have to wait until Aug 31 after his fourth NCAA season to become a UFA.

Edited by avelanch