The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

1 hour ago, Fakename70 said:

In that case, you probably think Baertschi and Horvat belong in the top-6, too. Not if they want to make the playoffs next season they don't. 

Horvat did better last year in his second year than Hank did in his 4th. Without Sutter he had to take on much more responsibility than he should have and as a result he suffered in the first half. However in the second half of the season he was lights out. I expect him to have a big year next year. And yes he WILL be a #2 centre in this league. Maybe as early as next year. If not the year after for sure. If you don't see that then you're blind. 

As for Baertschi same thing he started off slow and picked it up big time in the second half. I expect him to have a big year next year as well. Is he a legit top 6 forward?  Well on this team he is right now and that's all that counts. Once he progresses as planned he will be a top 6 forward period. He has tons of skill and already has a good 200' game, just like Bo. He will break out soon enough. 

As for the playoffs, we still have the Sedins and will most likely get another top player in free agency. With our defence solidified with Guds on board and with our solid 1-2 punch in net I do expect us to make the playoffs next year. We were a playoff team two years ago and last year because of all the injuries and amalgamating the new kids into the lineup we regressed.  But that won't happen again next year. We have more talent on the blue line, our kids are one year older and we have enough cap space to land a big fish in free agency. All that combined should lead us into the playoffs next year. 

Edited by Harvey Spector

20 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

That would be planet Troll where Hutton and Tanev are 3rd pairing Dmen. But isn't it nice that the residents of that planet have a new section of this forum from which to share their wisdom with us?

Oh, ok. I get it. CDC logic dictates that any dissident or unpopular opinion is equal to trolling.

15 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Horvat did better last year in his second year than Hank did in his 4th. Without Sutter he had to take on much more responsibility than he should have and as a result he suffered in the first half. However in the second half of the season he was lights out. I expect him to have a big year next year. And yes he WILL be a #2 centre in this league. Maybe as early as next year. If not the year after for sure. If you don't see that then you're blind. 

As for Baertschi same thing he started off slow and picked it up big time in the second half. I expect him to have a big year next year as well. Is he a legit top 6 forward?  Well on this team he is right now and that's all that counts. Once he progresses as planned he will be a top 6 forward period. He has tons of skill and already has a good 200' game, just like Bo. He will break out soon enough. 

As for the playoffs, we still have the Sedins and will most likely get another top player in free agency. With our defence solidified with Guds on board and with our solid 1-2 punch in net I do expect us to make the playoffs next year. We were a playoff team two years ago and last year because of all the injuries and amalgamating the new kids into the lineup we regressed.  But that won't happen again next year. We have more talent on the blue line, our kids are one year older and we have enough cap space to land a big fish in free agency. All that combined should lead us into the playoffs next year. 

You're comparing Horvat to Henrik? You sure about that? One has nothing to do with the other. Sure, he's a lock for a top-6 spot sooner than later. But, RIGHT NOW the drop off on the depth chart at that position from 2 to 3 is too steep to have him at #2. Surely you don't mean to imply Sutter is better suited for #3 behind Horvat, do you? I'll assume you missed the bit where I said having Horvat centre the 3rd line (next to Baertschi) at this stage of his career could make the Canucks a deeper team, with the right veteran(s) at RW on the Sedin line and LW and C on the second. I know it's a lot to process, but, going with what they have RIGHT NOW I don't see as good enough to avoid another non-playoff season next season. And, I wouldn't even use Sutter as a centre anyway. Like I said, I know it's a lot. 

You mentioned the twins in your last paragraph. That's EXACTLY who I'm thinking of with my comments. I can't stand the thought of seeing them waste another year watching the playoffs on TV. I get and support the idea of turning it over to the young kids. But, not completely and not while 22 and 33 are still here. They're just not ready for that type of responsibility, sorry. And, surely we can't expect the Sedins to do any holding of hands and leading the youngsters around by the nose and show them how to be an NHL'r, right? The Canucks already tried that with Vrbata this season and got burned. Developing the pups in the bottom-6 among forwards and bottom 4 among defencemen while pushing the vets for playing time could make this a better team the next few seasons. Moving those pups up the depth chart too soon and having to RELY on them in expanded roles could lead to more of the regression you referenced. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

You're comparing Horvat to Henrik? You sure about that? One has nothing to do with the other. Sure, he's a lock for a top-6 spot sooner than later. But, RIGHT NOW the drop off on the depth chart at that position from 2 to 3 is too steep to have him at #2. Surely you don't mean to imply Sutter is better suited for #3 behind Horvat, do you? I'll assume you missed the bit where I said having Horvat centre the 3rd line (next to Baertschi) at this stage of his career could make the Canucks a deeper team, with the right veteran(s) at RW on the Sedin line and LW and C on the second. I know it's a lot to process, but, going with what they have RIGHT NOW I don't see as good enough to avoid another non-playoff season next season. And, I wouldn't even use Sutter as a centre anyway. Like I said, I know it's a lot. 

You mentioned the twins in your last paragraph. That's EXACTLY who I'm thinking of with my comments. I can't stand the thought of seeing them waste another year watching the playoffs on TV. I get and support the idea of turning it over to the young kids. But, not completely and not while 22 and 33 are still here. They're just not ready for that type of responsibility, sorry. And, surely we can't expect the Sedins to do any holding of hands and leading the youngsters around by the nose and show them how to be an NHL'r, right? The Canucks already tried that with Vrbata this season and got burned. Developing the pups in the bottom-6 among forwards and bottom 4 among defencemen while pushing the vets for playing time could make this a better team the next few seasons. Moving those pups up the depth chart too soon and having to RELY on them in expanded roles could lead to more of the regression you referenced. 

I understand what you are saying. I envision something like this:

Sedin  Sedin  Eriksson

Baer   Horvat  Virtanen

Etem  Sutter   Hansen

If you want to play Sutter's line as the second line that's fine. I think a top 9 like that would allow us to compete for a playoff spot, especially with our back end solidified and our 1-2 punch in goal. The only question mark in that top 9 is Virtanen. Can he take the next step or will he end up in Utica?

As for Sutter he's never played wing in his life. He will be our 2-3 centre next year. Now if Benning wants to splash out more cash then you can add a Lucic or a Brouwer into that mix. However with Boeser coming up the following year I'd rather just go with the kids then signing another high priced UFA. The other option is to sign Brouwer instead of Eriksson to play with the twins as others have mentioned. I wouldn't be opposed to that. I just feel Eriksson overall would bring more goals to the table, especially on the power play. 

And if we need more toughness then I would suggest signing Matt Martin to play a 4th line bang and crash role. Would prefer that then to spend $6 million for Lucic. 

Edited by Harvey Spector

On May 30, 2016 at 5:26 PM, Fakename70 said:

No, I meant Tanev. Benning needs to upgrade the top-4 on the right side to someone who isn't invisible on offence. And, someone more physical opposite Edler for the #1 pairing would be great, too. I think Tanev's a prototypical 3rd pairing player at this stage of his career and doesn't belong in the top-4 for a team that plans to make the playoffs. He's solid, sure, but ultimately not really anything special compared to other top-4 RH defencemen in the conference. Again, key word: upgrade. There's enough young(er) bottom-4 depth to replace him. 

I would be against trading Tanev for an upgrade at D, or a fantastic prospect.

Shattenkirk is rumoured to be in play, both play the right side.  Shattenkirk is obviously better on offence, but Tanev is better at defence.  

There may be other possible targets, too bad Hamonic is no longer looking to move, a Tanev for Hamonic trade would have been good.  

Tanev does have some appeal to other teams, plays sound defence, popular in the dressing room and gets his partners out of trouble.  He also has a great contract and no ntc. We don't need to rush into anything and have no real reason to make a move unless a cant say no offer comes in, kinda like the Gudbranson deal.  

58 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Sedin  Sedin  Eriksson

Baer   Horvat  Virtanen

Etem  Sutter   Hansen

If you want to play Sutter's line as the second line that's fine. I think a top 9 like that would allow us to compete for a playoff spot, especially with our back end solidified and our 1-2 punch in goal. The only question mark in that top 9 is Virtanen. Can he take the next step or will he end up in Utica?

As for Sutter he's never played wing in his life. He will be our 2-3 centre next year. Now if Benning wants to splash out more cash then you can add a Lucic or a Brouwer into that mix. However with Boeser coming up the following year I'd rather just go with the kids then signing another high priced UFA. The other option is to sign Brouwer instead of Eriksson to play with the twins as others have mentioned. I wouldn't be opposed to that. I just feel Eriksson overall would bring more goals to the table, especially on the power play. 

And if we need more toughness then I would suggest signing Matt Martin to play a 4th line bang and crash role. Would prefer that then to spend $6 million for Lucic. 

We have the Sedins for two more seasons and they will likely retire from the NHL.  Let's finally give them the triplet they have never had and sign Eriksson.  They already know each other and enjoy playing together.  What's not to like.  

Having a bonified top line of Sedin/Sedin/Eriksson will allow our 2a/2b lines to be more effective.  Hopefully Willie will play a line matching game as he would have the personnel to make it happen.  By adding in a right winger we force completion to be fierce for the other spots.

That being said, Eriksson is my second choice as a FA.  We should be going hard after Stamkos if he is still available.  Checks a lot of boxes on our retool list.  Young, proven Center (RW on power play with Sedins... Awesome) who would allow us to build a 1a/1b team with a 3rd and 4th line.  2011 style team.  How can we say no to a 40 goal scorer next year if we can sign him?

If we sign a Matt Martin style player, we would tie up cap for a redundant player (Dorrset) and would only work if we let a player go.  This is not including letting Burrows and Higgins go either.  Not against it, but who do we ship out?  

12 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

We have the Sedins for two more seasons and they will likely retire from the NHL.  Let's finally give them the triplet they have never had and sign Eriksson.  They already know each other and enjoy playing together.  What's not to like.  

Having a bonified top line of Sedin/Sedin/Eriksson will allow our 2a/2b lines to be more effective.  Hopefully Willie will play a line matching game as he would have the personnel to make it happen.  By adding in a right winger we force completion to be fierce for the other spots.

That being said, Eriksson is my second choice as a FA.  We should be going hard after Stamkos if he is still available.  Checks a lot of boxes on our retool list.  Young, proven Center (RW on power play with Sedins... Awesome) who would allow us to build a 1a/1b team with a 3rd and 4th line.  2011 style team.  How can we say no to a 40 goal scorer next year if we can sign him?

If we sign a Matt Martin style player, we would tie up cap for a redundant player (Dorrset) and would only work if we let a player go.  This is not including letting Burrows and Higgins go either.  Not against it, but who do we ship out?  

Wasn't JB in Boston when they traded Seguin for Erikson? 

That Ben Hutton is quite a guy... Forgot this was the Ben Hutton thread.  

He will look good with Gudbranson I hope.  If they can form some chemistry, Hutton could take some risks and Gudbranson may start to produce a bit more offensively.  That would do a lot to avert the sophomore jinx that tends to hit players in Huttons shoes.  

Edler. Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa. Trymakin

Pedan Larsen

if the they are all in game shape to start the season, we have a decent defence for this season, lots of question marks, but good potential.  If there are no more changes, this group would most likely struggle early on, but with some decent coaching, could gel for the second half.  

What I like about Hutton and Trymakin, is they have tantalizing skill sets, that if realized would help the franchise drastically.  

The group as is, would be deeper than last years.  With a lot more snarl. Our goalies should be happier.  

Lets see if JB and Hammer can work out a deal... If so Sbisa should be moving on.   

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
Spelling

This kid has great offensive instincts.  He will do well with that big lug looking out for him.  I look forward to seeing him get a chance to produce on the PP and rack up some #s in the coming years.

• Upvote 1

What I like about Hutton is he's shown he can play the big minutes. So has Gudbranson. That should allow the Canucks to cut Edler and Tanev's minutes to something not "Edler played 27 minutes or more in the last 5 games" like we saw last season.

And with Tryamkin, totally possible we see Edler off the PK altogether.

Sutter-Hansen 

Tryamkin-Gudbranson

That's an intimidating PK that will seriously punish a team that makes a mistake.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

What I like about Hutton is he's shown he can play the big minutes. So has Gudbranson. That should allow the Canucks to cut Edler and Tanev's minutes to something not "Edler played 27 minutes or more in the last 5 games" like we saw last season.

And with Tryamkin, totally possible we see Edler off the PK altogether.

Sutter-Hansen 

Tryamkin-Gudbranson

That's an intimidating PK that will seriously punish a team that makes a mistake.

I often read your posts Body, and clearly you understand the game better than most here.  You're right again about increased soft minutes for Edler.  Now where did you play?  OHL?  ECHL?  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I often read your posts Body, and clearly you understand the game better than most here.  You're right again about increased soft minutes for Edler.  Now where did you play?  OHL?  ECHL?  

I only played to Junior A. My great uncle was a former Canuck though. Gregg Boddy. Dad was an assistant in the OHL. Bit of a hockey family. Should've stuck with it.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Sedin  Sedin  Eriksson

Baer   Horvat  Virtanen

Etem  Sutter   Hansen

Eriksson? Meh. Yet another LH RW for the Sedins. Sutter's really more of a goal scorer than playmaker, so, I think it'd be worth a shot. You're forgetting the Canucks experimented with Hansen at centre under AV, and Torts had Kesler at RW. And, for whatever reason, Scott Hartnell found himself in Tort's doghouse this season in Columbus. I think his contract runs only 1 year beyond the Sedins, but, I would bet he'd waive his NTC to come here. I'd love to see him opposite Hansen on the 2nd line. Would just be a matter of acquiring the right playmaker to center it. His cap hit is at least a full $2M less than the Sedins. I don't think he's worth a singular top prospect, but, 2-3 of the younger guys with no future with this organisation could work. Would save Benning from having to chase any high-priced UFA's for the offence, even though I wouldn't mind Okposo. Would rather see UFA's added on defence. I'd like to see Darren Archibald get another shot at 4th line LW duty than Matt Martin. Assuming Gaunce centers that line. But, who knows where he ends up...

Hutton and Tanev both have good offensive skills. but Hutton more because that's just how he plays to be affective. and Tanev likes to show that he's a great defender. both these guys played their games to get to the nhl. don't expect them to change it, but improve on it.

Hutton needs to improve defense, and Tanev needs to improve offense.

i like them both.