The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Miller | #30 | G

-SN-

14 hours ago, Western Red said:

There's a lot of things to kid about in this world, but the Genocide of the First Nations isn't one of them.

He never should have said what he did, but good on him for bowing to pressure and apologizing.

It's too bad because not many poeple in Vancouver are joking.. we needed a little levity. But this backfired.

Using blankets to spread disease is not unique to NA. It has been used throughout history.

Miller has been absolutely fantastic since coming to Vancouver.

Think a lot of fans have had to change their views of him over the last couple of seasons.

Best goal tending since Luongo carried the team in his early days as a Canuck.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Miller wins another one against the Hawks.

He has had a great season and set himself up for another contract. I wanted him moved at the TDL and do not want Van to resign him. His strength disguises a Canuck reality which Markstrom at $3 mil can do as well and grow with a younger roster. Miller will likely ask market price and multiple season deal. That does not benefit Van it is short sighted.

37 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Miller wins another one against the Hawks.

He has had a great season and set himself up for another contract. I wanted him moved at the TDL and do not want Van to resign him. His strength disguises a Canuck reality which Markstrom at $3 mil can do as well and grow with a younger roster. Miller will likely ask market price and multiple season deal. That does not benefit Van it is short sighted.

I'm interested at re-signing Miller for 1 or 2 years (more likely 1), but I suspect that:

1) He will want a 2 or 3-year deal

and

2) He will want a standard starting goaltender's salary.

I'd be willing to pay Miller something around $3 or $4M per year for 1 or 2 years, but I get the feeling he's going to feel like he's proven he's still worth $6M, and at this point, he may be right. As it is, I suspect he's going to demand too much from us and I hope we don't sign him for as much as he's probably going to want, in which case, I'm guessing he tests the open market for a higher paying deal than he will get from us.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ajhockey said:

I'm interested at re-signing Miller for 1 or 2 years (more likely 1), but I suspect that:

1) He will want a 2 or 3-year deal

and

2) He will want a standard starting goaltender's salary.

I'd be willing to pay Miller something around $3 or $4M per year for 1 or 2 years, but I get the feeling he's going to feel like he's proven he's still worth $6M, and at this point, he may be right. As it is, I suspect he's going to demand too much from us and I hope we don't sign him for as much as he's probably going to want, in which case, I'm guessing he tests the open market for a higher paying deal than he will get from us.

At 37 I suspect Miller wants at least 2 years at market for a #1 which will be at least $6 mil. Even 1 year would be contrary to the rebuild that has to happen. Markstrom did not get the games this year I had hoped he would. At that he had a solid 10 game stretch where he showed he was ready to be a #1. Van is currently paying about $10 mil for goaltending which could be better spent in free agency.

• Upvote 3

After a dozen years (Buff and Van) of facing a ridiculous amount of pucks, Ryan deserves to go to a contending team with a solid defence.  He has been stellar with the Canucks and has proven that he is still a #1 goalie.  I really hope he gets the contract he deserves.

It is time for Marks to step up and become the #1 (along with a very good backup guy).

42 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

After a dozen years (Buff and Van) of facing a ridiculous amount of pucks, Ryan deserves to go to a contending team with a solid defence.  He has been stellar with the Canucks and has proven that he is still a #1 goalie.  I really hope he gets the contract he deserves.

It is time for Marks to step up and become the #1 (along with a very good backup guy).

To be fair, Buffalo has an extremely strong team following the lockout, though it was offensively focused more than anything else.

9 hours ago, Boudrias said:

At 37 I suspect Miller wants at least 2 years at market for a #1 which will be at least $6 mil. Even 1 year would be contrary to the rebuild that has to happen. Markstrom did not get the games this year I had hoped he would. At that he had a solid 10 game stretch where he showed he was ready to be a #1. Van is currently paying about $10 mil for goaltending which could be better spent in free agency.

Of course Miller deserves what ever he can get, and the comfort zone to go with that..

IF we were to sign him again, I wonder if perhaps we see something innovative :

2 - 3 years ,  starting around 3m per, but with bonuses kicking in after 45-50 games played..

This forces the emphasis on Markstrom to get games,. While retaining a great goalie in a situation where he gets rewarded where and when he is needed.

Dont know if this has been done before??

Just a thought.. Maybe something constructive keeps him in the loop, and still an asset to move if the opportunity works for both parties?

Edited by SilentSam

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Of course Miller deserves what ever he can get, and the comfort zone to go with that..

IF we were to sign him again, I wonder if perhaps we see something innovative :

2 - 3 years ,  starting around 3m per, but with bonuses kicking in after 45-50 games played..

This forces the emphasis on Markstrom to get games,. While retaining a great goalie in a situation where he gets rewarded where and when he is needed.

Dont know if this has been done before??

Just a thought.. Maybe something constructive keeps him in the loop, and still an asset to move if the opportunity works for both parties?

I would not want to see Miller resigned but acknowledge that some kind of deal might be done. Part of my rationale is that NHL goaltending is the most competitive position in the league. There is a lot of goal tenders who sit for lack of opportunity. Miller's value could easily be overstated or acquiring teams might prefer younger players. Miller's worth is to a team developing a younger #1. I simply think Markstrom is past that phase and should be the #1.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

To be entirely honest.  I have been cheering against Miller for the majority of the past few seasons.  The first season I wanted Lack to win the battle and become #1.  Then last year it was all about Markstrom and his growth.  I think my obsession with a young tender growing up as a pro has really negatively influenced my perception of Miller.  I started to really fall in love with Miller and really appreciate Miller during the post 10 game skid.  

I must say I really appreciate what he has done and continues to do.  He in my opinion is a terrific guy and I hope one day Thatcher gets to learn from Ryan.  Glad I can finally appreciate Miller for his amazing skillset, calm demeanor, and great team mentality.  The fact he is helping this team through these struggles; remaining calm and level headed it really does help everyone.  

I appreciate you Ryan. 

Sorry for going against you for so many years.  I think its just the desire within us all to want that shiny new toy.  :D ur da man.

With you Rush.. going back to when we first signed him, I was totally against it.. his play at that time was not worth the 6m he was signing for..  

i think he is priming late in his career,. I don't think he has ever played this well.

Regardless,. I would like to see him re-signed short term.. in the very least he become another good asset to move for a favourable prospect or Draft pick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports  4m4 minutes ago

Just talked with Ryan Miller's agent Mike Liut about Miller's future in Vancouver. #Canucks

Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports  4m4 minutes ago

Liut : "I have had a season ending talk with Ryan, he's taking some time off, he will start thinking about his future in mid-May." #Canucks 

Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports  3m3 minutes ago

Liut says he will talk with gm Jim Benning at the NHL Combine at the end of the month and go from there. #Canucks

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2017 at 0:48 PM, Boudrias said:

I have been on record as not wanting Miller resigned simply because I thought Markstrom should be the #1. That said I was impressed with Miller's exit news presser. Obvious that he is a thinker and a real team player.

Miller is a terrific team guy and very hockey smart as well.  He seems to have an impressive understanding of the game, as well as a mentor-like connection with the younger players.  He really cares about the team and knows when to give a helping hand to a struggling rookie.  I can see Ryan continuing his career in hockey long after he has quit playing the game.

I know that Ryan would like to join a SoCal team, but I could also see him picking up a nice fat contract in LV regardless.  I don't think Marks is #1 ready, so the Canucks will have to find a player that can take at least half the games.  Ryan would have to take a huge pay cut and a lesser term to stay in Vancouver, so I don't think he does that.

If he moves on, I am going to really miss him backing up our team next season.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2017 at 11:22 AM, higgyfan said:

Miller is a terrific team guy and very hockey smart as well.  He seems to have an impressive understanding of the game, as well as a mentor-like connection with the younger players.  He really cares about the team and knows when to give a helping hand to a struggling rookie.  I can see Ryan continuing his career in hockey long after he has quit playing the game.

I know that Ryan would like to join a SoCal team, but I could also see him picking up a nice fat contract in LV regardless.  I don't think Marks is #1 ready, so the Canucks will have to find a player that can take at least half the games.  Ryan would have to take a huge pay cut and a lesser term to stay in Vancouver, so I don't think he does that.

If he moves on, I am going to really miss him backing up our team next season.

Miller as a backup is not realistic. His season last year was solid and I suspect he gets offers better than what Van should be making. All that said the tender market in the NHL is very tough and younger, bigger tenders are showing very well. IMHO the only way Miller should be resigned is on a max 2 year deal with full knowledge he is the backup and Markstrom the starter. Neither would I have a NTC in that offer. 

I don't see Miller staying in Vancouver unless he's paid starter money. I don't want to pay him starter money, thus I'd rather him leave unless he's somehow willing to take a significant pay cut.

• Upvote 1