The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(RDS Article) Las Vegas Expansion 2017/18 Confirmed

Toews

54 minutes ago, Monty said:

Still more dodging. Unbelievable.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/kelly-mcparland-winnipeg-fans-spread-egg-on-bettmans-face-in-just-17-minutes

This took all of 5 minutes to uncover this link which obviously you couldn't.  Now do you have someone nearby who can read the article for you and explain the jist?

6 minutes ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/kelly-mcparland-winnipeg-fans-spread-egg-on-bettmans-face-in-just-17-minutes

This took all of 5 minutes to uncover this link which obviously you couldn't.  Now do you have someone nearby who can read the article for you and explain the jist?

All I required. You were right. I was wrong. Thanks for posting it.

25 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

My sentiments exactly! Watch for this franchise to be pleading poverty in less than 3 years.

My gut feeling is they'll be a fail as well once the novelty wears off around town.  Hotels will purchase season tickets to offer tickets to guests in package deals but it all seems too transient to build a solid fan base around.  Rivalries could develop quickly with the California teams which might help local interest but face it Vegas doesn't seem like a hotbed of hockey.  It all seems to too contrived by the NHL to place a team into the mecca of gambling and sports betting as a showpiece.  Time will tell.

30 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Word is the leading team name at the moment is the Black Knights.

01e6f13d8a3395c422a11e87dda65377.jpg

Bettman is an idiot...

He's making the league records amount of money and rapidly increasing it's fan base.

Argue his decisions all you want (I hate most of them myself), but the guy isn't an idiot.  He is stubborn, but a very effective businessman.

Wow, a lot of haters here for Vegas..

I on the other hand, am very excited about this and I will get to see my Canucks every time when they are in town!! 

For the love of God, please do not use Black Knights as the official name!  T__T

Too many people giving Seattle unearned credit for having their act together enough to be considered a viable NHL city - by one way or the other - anytime soon. I'm no genius, but, I'm pretty sure the very first order of business is to at least have a 200 x 85 for a team to play in. The city council squashed that one with authority a month or so ago. And, I'm still not convinced the league will still be as keen to enter that market if it means housing a franchise in a rink located in the suburbs that no one outside of the Puget Sound/PNW/Lower Mainland region has even heard of. The city has been jerking around with this issue for almost a decade and lost its then-41 year-old NBA franchise partly because of it. How else to explain Las Vegas jumping to the head of the queue for NHL Expansion in seemingly such short order? There's still a strong sentiment that the NHL and NBA will continue to wait around for them to get their you-know-what together. Hate to say it, but, I think they're completely delusional. 

Its not as if brand new arenas aren't being built elsewhere. 

Oh, and, am I the only one who finds it both amusing and odd to see people in Vancouver forecasting failure for the Vegas NHL expansion franchise when they - for whatever reason - found themselves without their NBA expansion franchise after a mere 6 seasons? 

9 hours ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

My gut feeling is they'll be a fail as well once the novelty wears off around town.  Hotels will purchase season tickets to offer tickets to guests in package deals but it all seems too transient to build a solid fan base around.  Rivalries could develop quickly with the California teams which might help local interest but face it Vegas doesn't seem like a hotbed of hockey.  It all seems to too contrived by the NHL to place a team into the mecca of gambling and sports betting as a showpiece.  Time will tell.

You have no idea how many hockey fans are in Vegas. The whole population is imported from other parts of North America. NY, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, Vancouver, all strong hockey cities. Las Vegas is unique market and will do fine.

Arizona would be doing better if they never moved out of downtown Phoenix. For all those of you who have never been to a game in Glendale (I have), the arena is well out of the regular population centers and takes time to get to. The best thing that could happen to them was that Glendale canceled their lease forcing the to move either back to downtown Phoenix or out of State which is about 50/50 at this point.

Archived