The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Not sure why Sbisa would not be in long term plans. He is having his best NHL season and is in the development time line. I simply cannot see Benning letting a top 4 d-man go to Vegas. Either he deals beforehand or makes a deal with Vegas. Canucks will not lose Gaunce as Vegas would likely take Boucher.  

Sbisa's age is a factor in long term plans. He's 27 now, by the time we are competitive and making the playoffs he'll be on the downswing of his career. You could be right about them taking Boucher before Gaunce

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Probably Gaunce, maybe Boucher etc.

As much as I love Gaunce, he's replaceable. Sbisa will also have a heck of a lot more trade value after the ED as guys scramble to fill 4th D holes.

You could be right, although I don't see Sbisa having much value as he's just a depth defender and a dime a dozen. Either way there's a thread to talk about expansion out there somewhere I'm sure. 

3 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Sbisa's age is a factor in long term plans. He's 27 now, by the time we are competitive and making the playoffs he'll be on the downswing of his career. You could be right about them taking Boucher before Gaunce

You could be right, although I don't see Sbisa having much value as he's just a depth defender and a dime a dozen. Either way there's a thread to talk about expansion out there somewhere I'm sure. 

Some defencemen don't decline even when theyre in their early 30s. Look at Keith, Seabrook for the Hawks, Burns for the Sharks, etc. they continue to be playing some of their best hockey they've ever played in their careers. Burns has like what 27 goals. I don't think our defencemen have that many. Sbisa is someone you can build around and teach the kids how to be positionally sound in our defensive end while chipping in with the odd goal from time to time. That's why it's good idea to protect Sbisa and expose Edler. It also allows us to protect Guddy. I believe TL has already announced they won't  be protecting Edler a while ago but not sure whether that article and thread was real or not. Hope someone can fill me in on that. Regarding Juolevi, he has a decent shot of getting a spot in the team if he bulks up this summer and performs well in TC since we are likely to lose a D in the ED. 

7 hours ago, Odd. said:

I see him playing a few games with us at the start of the year to have a taste of what it's like to play in the NHL. Montreal did it with Sergachev but they sheltered his minutes extremely.

Who sits for him though.

Sbisa?

Tryamkin?

Hutton?

Edler?

Even if we lose someone at the ED(By trade or being drafted) we're already set at LD with a few young guys already. Unless injuries occur we don't have room for him.

We can take this time to see what we have in Hutton and Tryamkin before bringing Juolevi in.

Just now, Adarsh Sant said:

I'm trying super hard to be optimistic about Juolevi but is anyone watching Tkachuk right now....

Ya Tkachuk is hilarious out there. Just taking runs at doughty. Fearless kid, but everyone will tell you how they wouldn't want him anyway cause he's scum and a dirty player.

That said let's wait til Juolevi is a Canuck before wondering if we made the right choice.

On 2017-03-28 at 9:54 AM, Ihatetomatoes said:

Anybody have a link to a stream for the game tonight? Not on sportsnet, seems only the games played in London will be on sportsnet. Loving being able to watch these games, lots of future NHL players to keep track of.

I was quite sad when I couldn't find game 3 on my pvr... I love Juolevi as a prospect. Wanted to have a good look at Vilardi as well. Was really impressed with what I saw of him in the first two games. Guy is big and skilled and protected the puck like a seasoned vet. Forechecks like a demon.

I hope we land a top 3 pick... there's like 5 guys I want and the rest I'll have to suck it up. If we take a Dman I'd take Foote over Makar and Liljegren. Those guys might turn out great but they seem risky. 

On 2017-03-28 at 11:23 AM, Boudrias said:

Not sure why Sbisa would not be in long term plans. He is having his best NHL season and is in the development time line. I simply cannot see Benning letting a top 4 d-man go to Vegas. Either he deals beforehand or makes a deal with Vegas. Canucks will not lose Gaunce as Vegas would likely take Boucher.  

Your dreaming. 

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Ya Tkachuk is hilarious out there. Just taking runs at doughty. Fearless kid, but everyone will tell you how they wouldn't want him anyway cause he's scum and a dirty player.

That said let's wait til Juolevi is a Canuck before wondering if we made the right choice.

They are both going to be good players. Depends what you like or need on your team. I had Tkatchuk 5th and Juolevi 6th. We will see how it evens out in 3 years. 

1 minute ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Ah that maybe true, but as much as I hate Kesler, he did score 41 goals once. 

If he scores 40 and wins a Selke then maybe he'll be respected.

Right now he's creating a bad rep for himself real fast. Only a matter of time before the league neuters him and he's marked by the refs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Not saying we made wrong choice, just it's super hard to look at Juolevi compared to the rest of the players drafted in top 10.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Right now he's creating a bad rep for himself real fast. Only a matter of time before the league neuters him and he's marked by the refs.

Yeah he needs to start watching himself if that hit connected with Doughty it looked like he launched himself into him and he could've been getting a phone call from the league again. 

7 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Not saying we made wrong choice, just it's super hard to look at Juolevi compared to the rest of the players drafted in top 10.

why is that? He looks fine to me.  What? some kids are ripping it up in their junior leagues?  PLD and Pulujurvi aint doing much and they were drafted ahead of Juolevi.

Jost had a ok season, Sergechev seasons seems meh.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

why is that? He looks fine to me.  What? some kids are ripping it up in their junior leagues?  PLD and Pulujurvi aint doing much and they were drafted ahead of Juolevi.

Jost had a ok season, Sergechev seasons seems meh.

You watch the WJC? And yes I understand that the WJC is just a few games and that Finland was a very weak team. WJC showed Jost and Sergachev and A.Nylander are very good prospects. Juolevi was underwhelming. Puljujarvi has 24 pts in 31 AHL games as an 18 year old, which isn't amazing but is pretty good considering age. PLD isn't looking great considering he was 3rd pick, but rest of top 10 looks quite good.

28 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

You watch the WJC? And yes I understand that the WJC is just a few games and that Finland was a very weak team. WJC showed Jost and Sergachev and A.Nylander are very good prospects. Juolevi was underwhelming. Puljujarvi has 24 pts in 31 AHL games as an 18 year old, which isn't amazing but is pretty good considering age. PLD isn't looking great considering he was 3rd pick, but rest of top 10 looks quite good.

Watching the first 2 games of the London/Windsor series I'd say I'm happy we have Juolevi over Sergachev. I'll take the guy with the IQ over raw skill any day. 

As a fan I kinda agree it would have been nice to take a more entertaining player like Tkachuk or Keller, or Sergachev but as for value for the team a guy like Juolevi could end up being more valuable than them all, just wont be as exciting.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Deniro, you are showing that you are more the pansy Deniro from "The Intern" and not the Bad-A$$ Deniro from The Godfather or Goodfellas, or even the tough old Deniro from the "Meet the Fockers" movies. The kid is making room for himself and his teamates everytime  he is nasty and snarly. In no way shape or form is he creating a "bad rep".  He doesn't back down and he is what we need, meaness and skill, it's a good combo. Try and not be so neutered....

deniro the intern.jpg

Edited by darinbadershouldamadeit
  • Upvote 1